should I replace my battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by seb-opp, Jan 20, 2009.

1. seb-opp macrumors 6502

My CD macbook battery is at 117 cycles, 2 years and 8 months old.

I have iStat and whats weird is it reports its capacity at different amounts each time I charge it. I've saved a few different values on coconut battery in the last week and its capacity ranges from 92% to 26%. I charged it fully and it reported 26% capacity once, when it ran out I let it sleep without charing, and it stayed on for about 16 hours. I needed to use it so I couldn't let it run down completely.

Does this mean the battery is not working properly, or its normal and I need a new one?
    I have a 5 year warranty, if I can prove the battery is broken I might be able to get a new one but if its not broken I obviously wont

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Are you familiar with: MacBook and MacBook Pro Battery Update 1.2? Chances are, you may be able to get a replacement battery at no charge from Apple. Both of my children were able to get new batteries for their PowerBooks that were way out of warranty. Definitely worth a shot rather than pay for a new battery. Just click on the link and follow the instructions. -GDF

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I don't get it. Who cares what some stupid tool says about your battery? Charge the battery. Unplug the computer. Check how long it works. Make a decision whether that is long enough for you or not.

And good luck getting that battery replaced under warranty.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If you have Applecare you will get a new one for free, if you dont, you'll have to buy a new one as its out of warranty.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Case in point: 12" '05 PowerBook and 15"' '05 PowerBook both never had AppleCare so the 1 yr warranty ran out in '07. Both batteries replaced free by Apple in summer '08.

This battery issue is different from warranty work. It was more like a recall and it had no time limit for those effected batteries.

Or....you can purchase one and not try to get a free one.

6. seb-opp thread starter macrumors 6502

iStat reports what the computer sees, its not like its irrelevant. My point is, why does the health of my battery keep changing pretty much every other time I charge it?

And Its max capacity of 92% would be fine as it gives me nearly 3 hours of run time, but its no good when next time I charge fully the health drops to 25% with a run time of about 40 mins and Im all the way on campus with no charger

I installed the battery update 1.2 and it hasnt helped so far

7. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

And then........ (as stated in the link I provided):
    The worst case is they tell you no and then you need to purchase a battery.

Have you ever performed a Battery Calibration?

8. seb-opp thread starter macrumors 6502

I've done a battery calibration several times, even left it to sleep for for about 16 hours. Might try again.

Im at uni at the moment and I need my mac, the dvd drive is also defective and wont burn CDs (dispite this being a brand new drive when the last one wouldnt read CDs!) so I will probably send it off over easter for that.

Might see if I can just get a battery sent out, but Im guessing they will want to take my mac in and test it. If they wont replace it I'll probably buy one.

thanks for your help guys!