Should I return 2015 model for 2016?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmebbk, Dec 5, 2016.

1. jmebbk macrumors regular

My 2015 15' is on its way to me this week.
    I'm a law student and wanted the bigger screen hence why I didn't get the 13' because I do a lot of word documents. I opted for the 2015' instead of the 2016 because it's cheaper and also the ports.

However it seems everybody is raving about the touchbar 2016 15'

Should I return it and pay more for 2016 model?

2. Raptura macrumors 6502

Raptura

I can't see the Touch Bar improving your experience for law school in any way. I'd say save your money as you're getting a very capable machine.

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

In deciding between similarly-priced 2015 and 2016 models, I opted for the 2016 model. For me, the ports won't be missed--I can't remember the last time I plugged anything into my iMac, after all. The 2016 model has better hardware overall and I don't think I've ever bought new hardware when it was actually fresh, so this should be a treat.

Hopefully it arrives by the end of the year.

4. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Don't do it for the touchbar alone as the jury is still out for most people. Some are loving it, some are not seeing benefits yet. For your use, do it for the usb-c ports (not a plus for you) and the form factor (smaller, lighter). The form is smaller because you aren't carrying around all the extra ports among other things. The other bits are subjective if it's worth it, new keyboard, bigger trackpad, screen ('15 retina screen already pretty nice), speakers (much better). The sexiness is fleeting, but the 16's are more future proof. The new ones cost a fair amount more, so if that factors in, may not be worth it. This is the big debate around here, are the new things worth the extra spend for you.

5. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm I bare that in mind
    --- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2016 ---
    This is what I'm thinking but then again I'm a law student. The 2015' may be enough for me.
    That's true
    I won't the laptop to last me four years....at least till when I finish graduating and will obviously move on

The 2016 is so expensive though...especially in the U.K.

6. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

I went from a 2012 non retina to the 2016 15" touch bar and it's great. If you are just using the MacBook for Uni and general office type work I would keep the 2015 model. It's as fast as the 2016 for those tasks and you are saving a fair chunk of cash. That would be the most sensible option.

OR

Send it back, get the 2016 one. It's great, smaller and lighter and that screen is just amazing... oh, and the speakers, wow! It's just a joy to use. Grab a couple of dual USB A/C flash drives, dead handy for using on different machines, 10 quid each for Sandisk 32GB ones on Amazon. This is the buy with the heart decision, ignore Mr Brain. Haha.

Either way you end up with a cracking bit of kit.

7. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

No doubt, it's not cheap. Your dilemma is really around needing/wanting the 15 inch screen. If you really like the new MBP like I really do, I would consider the 13 nt base model. You might be able to live with the screen real estate (I do). It's cheaper, has better battery life, and is plenty for what you need it to do. Just need to see if the screen works for you. With the 15, you'll be paying for a lot of things that you don't really need, hence the huge difference over the 13 nt base. Decisions, decisions...

8. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Both are more than capable laptops for your needs (if not a little overkill) the question comes down to: Are you going to feel like you've missed out on something by going with the older model?

9. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

I want it to last me who whole uni life....I would have gotten the 2016 but the price was very expansive especially for a law student
    Haha exactly
    I really need the 15. My astigmatism is quiet high and my optician advised me to use bigger screens where possible so my eyes are more relaxed!
    I'm just scared the 2015 15' will be old in a year or so lol!

10. paaj macrumors member

paaj

2015 is old already :D ... and will still be more than sufficient for years to come.

For internet, office, etc, you really don't need all the power.

11. iBrooker macrumors 6502

Don't forget to use your student discount to get 10% off :)

12. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

I did!!!
    The 2015 cost 1,800
    The 2016 costs 2,300

13. robertfrancis70 macrumors newbie

This is a tough one. I have the 2014 15" and I bought the 2016" 15 (after initially buying the new 13" and exchanging it). I bought the 2016 13" thinking I would have two machines, but when I saw the new 15" I thought it would make more sense to trade up for that and sell my older 15".

After three days with the 15", it didn't seem to make sense. It was beautiful--the screen was slightly nicer, I liked the narrower bezels, the slight reduction in weight, and I appreciated the touch bar and touch ID. But I couldn't get used to the keyboard.

So, I've had the original 12" rMB from 2015, and briefly the non-touchbar 2016 and the new 15" and I simply couldn't become accustomed to the keyboard. It felt too stiff, too rigid, and generally not satisfying.

It got me thinking that at the end of the day, what am I really gaining by purchasing the newer device? A slightly lighter computer with a slightly nicer screen--but not huge in either case--and the touch bar, which is neat but by no means essential. For me, the same can be said of touch ID. Losing ports, mag-safe, and a much more usable keyboard didn't seem worth the trade-off, even with the roughly $1,500 Canadian I was likely to get for my 2014... I was delighted to get a refund this aft of 3k Can.

Now back on my 2014 and I'm more than content. But in your case, given that you haven't already shelled out for either, I would suggest buying new--if you prefer the keyboard. It's no small matter. It makes for a very different experience.

I gather you've tried it in the store and like it?

14. Capt T macrumors 6502a

That is a tough choice.

I think the only advantages of the 2016 in your case would be the weight, and USB c ports down the road. Otherwise either would seem like a great choice for your stated needs.

15. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

I've bought the 2015' already. Coming on Thursday
    How important willl the USB C ports be?

16. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Budget is always a factor..If it's in any way elastic I think in the long run you would benefit more from the TB model. Not BECAUSE of the TB, but because it's newer, new ports etc etc..If your budget it tight then stick with the 2015.

17. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

18. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm
    Decisions decisions
    I want this computer to last me 4 years...

19. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I would stick with the 2015 model.

It has ports that you would actually use.

20. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

15 will last you that easily. I'd stick with that unless thinner and higher are important to you. The 16 is really not that much smaller in linear dimensions, just weight and thickness is the difference. My point is, I don't think the new 15 inch is really much more "portable" than the 15. In fact I don't think ANY 15 inch laptop is really that portable.

21. Mr. Bean macrumors member

Mr. Bean

I'd stick with the 2015. It is the last of its generation, so there have been sufficient time and revisions by Apple to have made it a solid machine. The internal hardwares might possibly be old, but that is relative. For a law student, I doubt that it would affect you in any way. Furthermore, the pace of improvement on hardwares such as CPUs aren't progressing as fast as it used to, so don't worry about the 2015 hardware being "old" or outdated.

As for the touch bar, unless you have sexdaily dyslexia or cannot touch type well then perhaps the autocomplete feature might be useful, otherwise it's not really a game-changer at this stage. Perhaps in a few years time, but not yet.

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

For a student doing mostly text-based work, the 2015 will be more than sufficient and while the touch bar is handy, its not a game changer.

Presumably you'll be doing some flash drive swapping with classmates, which might be easier with USB-A ports rather than USB-C and potentially an adapter dongle.

However, the weight savings of the 2016 might be nice presuming you take it with you on a daily basis. But the weight difference may not be worth the price differential.

And, since the 2015 model Apple is selling (the new ones, not the refurbished ones) don't have a discrete GPU, you may find yourself with better battery life than the new ones with a dGPU.

23. Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

NO! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!?

The 2015 machines are the ones to get. The 2016 MacBook Pro is demonstrably a piece of garbage. Terrible battery life, speakers that blow up, bad palm recognition. People are posting these particular problems over and over and over again. Why would they—en masse—choose "by chance" to post about these particular problems? They wouldn't—not as a concerted trolling technique. That's ridiculous. They are unhappy because these problems ARE happening, and they are UNACCEPTABLE. Period.

24. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

No. Keep the one that actually works. :p

25. motime macrumors 6502

2015 has a better keyboard, magsafe, nice set of ports, generally better battery life, less issues out of the box and similar performance overall. It is mostly people obsessed with new technology who are buying the new mbps or a niche of professionals who might get a marginal increase in performance. For the rest of us it is much more sensible to save a lot of money and enjoy the great experience last years model offers.

The touch bar is a gimmick, only hardcore fanatics or confused individuals are raving about it. Most people range from being moderately impressed to considering it a nuisance.

Oh and this is macrumors, so the advice here is generally quite biased.