Should I return/exchange just received new MBP 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by koigirl, Jul 29, 2011.

1. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Hello all. I ordered a new MBP 13 online 7/27 from Apple. It arrived this morning via Fedex (7/29). I did not receive the updated model with Lion. Mine shipped with Snow Leopard in SL box with pre-revised keyboard. I had gone back and forth on the MBP 13 vs. new MB Air 11 or 13 and finally decided to go with the Pro because I have a 14-year old who likes to game and it has the built-in optical drive, larger hard drive, etc. My older daughter is taking our 2009 MB Pro 13 to college with her. At our house, parents get new equipment and kids get the hand-me-downs.:)

After ordering, I second-guessed myself reading many posts on the Apple forums about major wifi issues with the 2011 MBP. I have also read many posts with users complaining of Lion issues after upgrade.

My question is: should I return the MBP for the newest Lion version? Should I have gone with the MB Air and bought an external optical drive for the times we need it? I surf/e-mail mainly with our iPad 2 and we use the laptop at this point mostly for minor gaming, word processing, spreadsheets, homework, photo storage/editing. Or am I better off sticking with the Snow Leopard version which means I can go back to SL if we have issues with Lion? I have also wondered if they have perhaps solved the wifi issues with the latest hardware revisions for Lion MBP 13? I would love to hear the opinions of some who are more technically knowledgeable than I am! Thanks for your time and your patience in responding.:eek:

2. MKang25 macrumors regular

The only thing different about the keyboard is that instead of dashboard its mission control and the expose button doesn't have the border around it, as for Lion you can just download it for free. Don't really see those as reasons to return it if you are going to stick with the Pro.

3. koigirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

koigirl

My thought was that they may have made other subtle hardware changes/updates in the new Lion version, possibly including a fix for the wifi issues users have been experiencing with the 2011 MBP's. Also wondered if the new MBA would have been a better option?:confused:

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Theres a 14 day return period, so you can wait and see :p

5. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

you have the MBP are you having any wifi issues?

6. koigirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Haven't even unwrapped it yet. When it arrived this morning via Fedex, I noticed it came in a SL box, checked out the boot disc, realizing I didn't receive the Lion version, and got online to check out why. I am thinking about boxing it up and going up to the Apple store today. We're leaving on vacation tomorrow for a week. I know I have 14 days to return but just wanted to get some thoughts from other Appleheads as to how to proceed. Probably should have done that before I ordered!;) Surely someone on here has some definite opinions...

7. koigirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Also, it appears that most people don't have wifi issues at first - they develop later on, about a week in. I had a 2006 MBP 15, one of the originals, with major wifi issues that were never resolved.

8. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

There are no other differences. Keep it and get your Lion upgrade if it's important.

10. chazmink macrumors member

At risk of "stealing the thread," I have sort of the same issue. I just purchased my college senior son a 15" MBP to replace his pre-unibody MBP. Is it possible to simply get replacement key caps for the changed keys?

This may solve the OP's issue as well.

Thanks.

11. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

There is ONE key that is different — it's now missing an outline. It's seriously that big of a deal? :rolleyes:

12. koigirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I could care less about the keyboard labels. I'm just wondering if they made any other hardware revisions (i.e. wifi) and if I made the right decision going with the MBP vs. a MBA for my needs.

13. koigirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

koigirl

And yeah, Lion's important.:rolleyes: I've been holding off on ordering a new laptop until the new MBA's and Lion OS came out.

14. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You get a free copy. You already knew that. What's the big deal?

15. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Guys, it's just a key!
    The function for the F4 button would still be the same if you just change the key cap. And I don't think you can change the function of the key in the shortcut options.

16. lfshammu macrumors member

try it out and you'll see for yourself. :)

17. koigirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

koigirl

The keys are not a big deal for me. But I did order this a week after the new version was released and it seems Apple would not send the older OS version on a new order without informing me first. But maybe it's a good thing I'll have the SL reboot disc as so many are struggling with Lion. Just wanted some wiser thoughts on whether to keep it, return for new version, or return for new MBA. Thanks for positive responses.

18. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

You have a great machine now. Just use it and if something is wrong, you can still return it. You can get lion for free anyway.

19. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I still have dashboard mapped to F4 and expose to F3 and the keys match. I like it better than the new one heh

20. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Why even bother with changing the keys... they do essentially the same thing... Dashboard key still brings up dashboard in Lion and the expose one brings up mission control.... Who cares if it has a border around it! I use the gesture more to bring up MC anyway not the key.

21. MKang25 macrumors regular

I have never heard of the wifi issue but I highly doubt apple made a silent hardware change, Im pretty sure sites like iFixIt would have picked up on it.

22. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Keep it because you get 2 free Disk and free Lion Download! If you get the new one it won't come with SL disk!

23. randomrazr macrumors 65816

ok for those of u guys whining about the keys, i hate the new keys. dashboard is so much more useful, checking weather, calender etc.

second, its the same macbook pro even with lion pre installed. no new wifi, no new anything eles. heck ive had my 15inch 2011 for 6 months and the wifi is perfectly fine. though im replacing it with an anti glare version new LOL

and uh, yeah u get lion for free , install it and be happy

24. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be too concerned over it, returning your computer and re-ordering it would be more hassle than what it's worth in the long run in my opinion.

You can easily upgrade your new MacBook Pro to Mac OS X 10.7 ("Lion") by submitting a request via Apple's Up-to-Date program. Once Apple has validated your request you'll be sent a redemption code for the Mac App Store at which point you can download the upgrade to Mac OS X 10.7 at no additional cost.

25. davmcn macrumors regular

I've had Lion for about a week now, and it does have a few minor problems with the wifi. It works okay, it just seems it doesn't like my Wireless N Router. No idea why, but it works with my other one, for now , that's my fix.