should i return iPad 2 for iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mgsnat75, Jul 17, 2012.

1. mgsnat75 macrumors member

So i bought an iPad 2, 2 sundays ago for $339. I still have a few days to make a return at my local frys. I was thinking since i received my rMBP and i really like the screen that i should have gotten the new iPad. Couple other reasons that are making me want to get is because i will be using the iPad mainly for textbooks and taking notes. I like the iPad 2 and works great but the resolution is starting to get to me after i got some books in and try to read online material. So should I return the iPad 2 and get the new one or should i stick with what i have? I appreciate the opinions.

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

I bought a used ipad 2 , after a couple of weeks i sold it & bought the new iPad

It was bothering me that my iphone had a better screen,i use the ipad more for entertainment so retina works better for me

Once you go retina , you never go back

3. mgsnat75 thread starter macrumors member

thats how I'm feeling about it.

4. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Screen is the most important thing in iPad, definitely exchange it for the iPad 3.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I think you should exchange it as well OP.

6. hi-there macrumors member

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

8. WilliamLX macrumors newbie

I can't tell the difference between the two screens (and I have played with both side by side), so personally I don't think the iPad 3 is worth it unless you need the 32 or 64gb versions that are no longer available in the iPad 2.

9. grumpycompuprof macrumors newbie

10. barjam macrumors regular

Are you vision impaired? The difference is huge for a person with decent vision. I can't think of any other reason you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Text is the easiest place to see the difference. New ipad can render perfectly readable small fonts where the ipad 2 is physically unable to.

And I vote yes exchange them. I had been waiting on a decent screen before buying an ipad so I skipped 1 & 2. 3 was my first ipad.

11. WilliamLX macrumors newbie

Just had my dyed tested. Perfect with my glasses. TBH this is an empty increase in pixel density. I can read the smallest text on the original iPad.

12. astrorider macrumors 6502

If you compare both side by side and can't tell a difference for small text, especially "the smallest text", then your vision is definitely not perfect...unless mine is significantly better than perfect which doesn't make a whole lot of sense

13. mgsnat75 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I may just exchange it after your opinions. Another thing to note is the iPad 2 will be missing features from ios6 that the new one will get. So I would be needing something long term

14. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Or you can hold onto it and upgrade to an iPad 4 when the time comes. Else you might have iPad4 envy this time next year.

I'm happy with my iPad 2. It was my first iPad and I got a great price on a refurb so no regrets. An iPad3 would have cost me almost another $200 which I'll put towards the iPad 4 (or 5) when the time comes.

15. Che Castro macrumors 603

He can sell his ipad 3 in feb 2013 & get $400 for it if he has the 16gb wifi model

That's what im gonna do, unless the ipad mini comes out , im sellling my ipad & buying 2 of those

16. MacAuditor macrumors member

Why go iPad 3 when there are more QC issues? It's a large downgrade in this respect.

May I suggest you save that money and get a nice audio system, if you don't have it. Laptop w/ audio system you can get much more enjoyment. iPad audio port doesn't provide as good sound as MBP.

17. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Yes, for 160 more it's totally worth it. There is no comparison between the 2 screens IMO.

18. Star56 macrumors member

The ipad 3 screen is a significant improvement over 1 or 2. The poster who said he cannot see the difference is lying, plain and simple. Nobody is that blind.

19. mguti macrumors member

Is the $339 you paided for the iPad 2 for a brand new or a refurb? I purchased a iPad 2 Saturday at bestbuy and paid $399. They have price match so that's why I'm asking.

20. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

My sentiments exactly. When I had an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4, the iPad's screen always looked terrible compared to the iPhone. So happy to be living the Retina Display life :)

21. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I'd go for the 2 and save the cash for the next iPad.

22. mgsnat75 thread starter macrumors member

I actually have a nice home theater component system at home and I got the retina MacBook pro. I'm not getting the ipad based solely on audio but the screen resolution that suits me when using it for textbooks and web browsing and ocassional media/games. In other words its a companion to my rMBP and my convenient agenda/web/textbook device

----------

It was brand new sealed at frys. They had a random secret sale on them and sold out within an hour of opening on Sunday morning. I work there so that's how I found out and got it.

----------

That's how I felt with my retina MBP. Its had a gorgeous screen but when I looked at the ipad it looked murky. Well now I know too that I will be getting a full iOS 6 experience when it drops

23. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

You can afford the retina MacBook pro but not sure whether to spend another 100 for the retina iPad?

Please

24. mac jones macrumors 68040

you might want to save as much as you can and wait for a quad version, which probably will happen around Christmas.

25. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

Lol where did u get that info from?

iPad has always been announced februarynmarch time frame