Should I return my AWESOME new 15" Macbook Pro I just got, because of a SCRATCH ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomrazr, Mar 18, 2011.

1. randomrazr macrumors 65816

Alright so, please read this.

I purchased my new 2011 15" macbook pro 2.0ghz quad core i7 at BEST BUY.

Took it home, opened it up and everything seemed perfect. An Hour later, i was up in the attic and came down with a flashlight, and shone it on the macbook, and noticed something funny on the far right left on the macbook pro lid. theres a few 1inch sized scuff marks on the far right side. i only had the macbook for only an hour and nothing had touched it since.

the thing is, you can only see it under bright light (like a flaslight)

other than that issue, everything eles is flawless.

i know its not a huge issue, doesnt effect the perforamnce or anything, and its not a huge dent, but, i cant help thinking, i jsut paid nearly 2 grand with taxes for this lol.

best buy i know will exchange this for a new one without questions asked (assuming u return it under 14 days). everything is installed on this and the computer works.

id kick myself if i got a replacement that had another stupid issue like a dead pixel or something.

do you guys think i should return it for a new one? or suck it up and keep it since its un noticable.

also i am going to purchase an incase hardshell so the macbook will be covered for most of its life, when i take it to university for 4 years lol.

i included 3 pics, the one pic with my iphone 4 light shining on it, the other 2 pics are under normal light and u cant really see anything wrong.

thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I say suck it up. It's cosmetic and as you said hardly noticeable. It is safe to assume that, over time, you will add scuff marks and scratches to it yourself.

3. un.titled macrumors regular

I would return it. I wouldn't want to give any manufacture any reason to believe I misused my product if I ever needed repairs. I don't care how golden Apple is.

Never mind the amount of money you paid for the product.

4. bagoborealis macrumors newbie

By the fact you are posting it on MacRumors suggests to me that you aren't happy and are looking for justification to keep it. Its going to niggle you if you do keep it.

Thats alot of your hard earned right there, if you are not happy with it, return it!

5. MarkG21 macrumors regular

One of my old MBP's (I don't have it anymore) that I bought brand new from the Apple store had the power button slightly (but very noticeable) half way pushed in. I ignored it and eventually I regretted not doing anything about it.

So, I'd say return it!

6. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

I wouldn't have a doubt in my mind about returning that. This is a big investment that you'll likely have for a couple of years. It's BS to have to start off with scuff marks like that on it.

And to avoid future scuffing (I know this wasn't your fault), I would suggest once you get your new one or keep this one, order the protective film from Wrapsol. It actually makes the aluminum nicer and you will never have to worry about scratches, scuffs, etc. My first Aluminum MacBook got scuffs from various places and it constantly drove me nuts. Having one right out of the box just makes it worse.

7. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

8. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Hmm, 1in scuff marks seems pretty bad. Are you sure you didn't cause this? (not accusing you but I might be tempted to return it as well if that came out of the manufacturing process)

But if it looks that bad then return it. I paid 3 grand (with taxes... bought it in Korea where the currency isn't that good compared to the $ and sales tax is 10%... :( ) for mine and it has this one speaker hole that isn't fully punctured :p

You'll stop noticing it once you use it.

(Off topic but can you do a video on the case once you get it? I'm kind of afraid that the case might cause more scratches to the MBP because of things getting underneath it)

9. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

my main concern with returning it and getting a new one is that the replacement might have a stupid issue with it like a dead pixel or something eles lol. cause everything eles with this macbook is flawless.

i kno it looks bad but, like the other pics show, u cant see it in normal light :S

and i did make a vid on the case, and a sleeve actually for the guy who asked

youtube.com/randomrazr

thats my youtube channel, made a vid on the incase hardshell and sleeve , check it out!

10. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

@markg21

was the opwer button bothering u that bad? lol

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Teaches you to shine a flashlight on it trying to look for imperfections :p

I say go exchange it.

12. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

if it bothers you return it

if you plan to keep it forever than who cares. You will get more marks on it unless you plan to case it.

13. Reticent, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

Reticent macrumors member

A perspective

Here's the deal--

You're right. You paid nearly 2k for this. It's unclear (from what I saw-- I only read the first post) what caused it. However, you're under your return date. And if there's a legitimate reason you want to return it you can.

However, I would suggest using iClear or a similar product. I know it sounds like it would only work on a monitor or screen but at the apple store and on my own computer I use(d) iClear for scratches all the time. Dents it won't take out, but for scratches those kinds of cleaners work miracles.

If you can return it, no worries, do it (please make sure to backup). If Bestbuy won't take it back, go to the Applestore and try there. Apple wants your business and will do what they can to keep a customer, but you may need some kind of technical issue-- Apple won't accept a return on the product based only on cosmetics. That is on you.

That being said, if you do return it to Bestbuy and get one with a dead pixel, I wouldn't be worried about it because it is likely (near 100%) the genius bar will fix it (regardless of whether it was purchased at Bestbuy or not). The genius bar doesn't care about where it was bought as long as it is legitimate Apple.

However, I must make it clear. The issue must be technical, not cosmetic. The issue must also arise from normal use or production, it can't be caused by your own negligence such as spilling liquid, etc. And I can't suggest causing a problem on your own, because they do have ways of telling that sort of thing (trust me I lost a macbook this way).

Hope that helps inform your next move, and I'm sorry to hear about the scratches.

One last thought:
    If you don't have applecare do it ASAP as that will run out and then even if you want to get it fixed you are on the hook period. If you don't have applecare, your free ticket is running out quick.

14. mastaofdisasta macrumors member

It's a 2 G laptop. With that kind of dinero, it better be mint condition. Exchange it.

15. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I vote for exchanging it. If the next one has a dead pixel or some other issue, exchange it too. For 2 grand you should have one free of imperfections.

16. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Just a note: Your eligibility for Apple Care does not run out for one year after purchase. So you can buy it up to day 364. The only difference is that you would miss 274 days of potential free phone support (because you get 90 days free). But the rest of the Apple Care is the same whether you buy it on day 1 or day 364. I'm not sure where the cut-off is on day 365 ;) Of course don't wait until day 366 :eek:

17. Reticent macrumors member

This is all true and take it under advisement. But take in a defective machine if you can. AppleCare is there for a reason and you should take advantage of it. Don't let yourself be lulled in by the idea of waiting extra days, months, etc. If you have an issue take it in. And see if you can, get it replaced-- at the end of the day you have nothing to lose other than the time to visit the genius bar. And the issue here isn't really applecare, it's taking it in before the return date for Bestbuy. So do it. And use AppleCare as your backup. I see no reason you should not return this machine, but please back up your information before you do.

18. esmode macrumors member

Exchange it. It bothers you... It probably wouldn't bother me, but that shouldn't matter to you.

19. Miss Terri, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Reticent:
    Right. I was only addressing the somewhat misleading statement that the OP should rush to get Apple Care on a nearly new machine.

You said: "If you don't have Apple Care your free ticket is running out quick"

I believe the truth is that "If you want Apple Care just be sure to purchase it within ~350 days from now; you have about 335 days left on your free, included in the purchase price, one-year Apple warranty."

(Of course one can always purchase Apple Care sooner.)

I was not addressing whether or not the OP should return his current machine, or keep it, or wait to return it later. On that note, if it were me, and it bothered me, I would return it. If one is within the14 days one can actually return it for no particular reason at all.

Now granted, every machine probably has *some* imperfection, but that doesn't mean the OP should have to keep one he/she isn't going to be happy with. I have noticed that on many of the MBP's, if a light is shined over the aluminum at angles it's possible to see imperfections. So I would say that it's fine to try to find one you are more happy with, but you may not find one 100% perfect.

Miss Terri

20. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

just watch your utube vids....take it back! you payed 2g...you went to to apple store and bb with wanting exchange....pack it up with box and make bb show you new one.....good luck

ps: your not alone with having to take things back....don't even think about a acer netbook!!!

21. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I say exchange it. For $2000 you shouldn't accept any defects, even barely noticable ones.

22. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

@Terri

every macbook has an issue? lol that what im concerned about

my replacement ight have a worse issue then this one lol

23. finnns2000 macrumors regular

I had an old 15" unibody that came scratched, around the wrist area, I regret not doing anything about it. I ended up selling it.

24. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

it bother you that much?

25. slice4life macrumors member

take it back right away.I'm doing the same thing with my 17in with a small dent under the tackpad