Should I Return my MPB bought on Jan. 19?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmb3886, Jan 21, 2008.

  1. dmb3886 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2008
    #1
    I hear a new updated version of the macbook pro will be coming out anytime now, and I would hate to see that happen considering i just bought one. I have until Feb. 2 to, and would make me cash out an extra 200$ for restocking. FYI i bought the base one 1999$

    so should i:
    a) wait till jan 28-Feb1 and see if there is any more news. if there is on a set date, return it. if not, keep the one i got now

    b) return it and wait

    c) keep what i have

    i used a student discount.. if i return it will i still be able to use the student discount on the second one? thanks for your help
     
  2. skierdb526 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    #2
    Id at least keep it till the end of january. Then decide what you want to do. Although I really want to believe it will be released this week or the next I doubt it will be. I almost bought one over the weekend but had card problems.
     
  3. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    College Station, Tx
    #3
    just keep it, its not worth the extra 200 imo. Maybe cuz i am a ppor college student :(
     
  4. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    PA
    #4
    If you have the patience to wait, you should wait. At least for me I would be pissed off if I bought one and a month later a new one with a multi-touch trackpad came out.
     
  5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #5
    Not sure where you're from but in the UK, the HE discount only terms state that you're only entitled to one notebook, one desktop, and one Mac Mini (not sure what they class that as then) per academic year.
     
  6. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    #6
    I would just keep your notebook. If you're not happy with it, sell it and get what would make you happy.

    In my case, amazon is basically selling a new mbp at the refurb price (after a rebate, and by virtue of zero sales tax), so I'm planning to order one tomorrow.

    I'll wait for the next-next gen macbook pro with the montevina chipset :)
     
  7. powerchord macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    right where I am
    #7
    ahh yes, more grist for the apple mill in your head

    is it worth paying the restocking fee? I know dropping a large sum of $ into anything can be unsettling (especially if there might be a "new and improved" version on the horizon). I am/have been struggling with this very question for months now: when should I buy? what if?.... Just goes to show how much we are deeply conditioned by this consumerist mentality. As many others on this forum will tell you: if the current model has everything that you actually need, and if you are willing and able to pay for it, and if you do not want to wait for an indeterminate period of time, then do yourself a favor and KEEP your MBP.

    And by all means, ENJOY it without regret or reservation (which is after all, a fabricated sense anyway). Heed not those who wait anxiously and who are engaged in an endless cackle of speculation and commiseration. Ask yourself, does an impending update really change the relationship between you and your laptop?? Or more importantly, does it make you any less (or more) of a person?
     
  8. dmb3886 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2008
    #8
    Yes I read that too, yet if one is returned does that still count as ur one laptop..
     
  9. gescom macrumors regular

    gescom

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2007
    Location:
    Westerville, OH.
    #9
    If you don't like it for some reason then sure return it. If you are doing this just in the hopes of something better than ask yourself "why did I buy it to begin with?"
     
  10. jade macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    #10
    Keep it

    I think you should keep it. I sat on the fence waiting for the G5 Powerbooks for so long.....that I still have an iBook G4. If you pin your hopes on it actually coming out this month....you know that means it won't come out until June. Buy it when you need it... not when the new one is rumored.
     
  11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #11
    Five years from now, you'll look back and laugh at the thought that you ever spent time worrying over whether to keep a 2ghz laptop or trade it in for another 2ghz laptop. The problem with greed is how easily it clouds better judgement.
     
  12. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

    SheriffParker

    Joined:
    May 24, 2006
    Location:
    The land of love
    #12
    I don't see them coming out for at least a month...

    I'd just keep it. If you are sooooo smitten by the new one, you can always sell the one you have on eBay and get a healthy sum for it. But returning it and living in this state of limbo, checking the Apple site every tuesday, wishing for your new computer.... that doesn't sound like the life you were born to live.
     
  13. dmb3886 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2008
    #13
    all of you have some really good responses keep em coming

    i will have this laptop for a good 2 1/2 years, and 6 months ago this was the top of the top..and 6 months wasnt that long ago...
     
  14. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #14
    I'm not sure. I would contact Apple and ask them because I honestly don't know.
     
  15. Cmu93 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2007
    Location:
    Michigan
    #15
    I bought a MBP on Jan. 15th, after the keynote. I have no intentions of taking it back, paying the re-stock fee and then hoping for a new one, even 2 weeks from now is too long for me. I have already enjoyed this laptop so much! To get a small speed increase and more battery life, means nothing to me. The touch-pad, I don't care about that either. The only thing that would make me jealous is if a newer keyboard came out, it is taking some getting used too on the MBP... it's a very slippery/light touch to it. I'm getting much better, but it took a learning-curve.

    I say keep what you have!
     
  16. a4abt macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    Location:
    Miami
    #16
    I bought My MBP on December 27 and the new update rumors doesn't make me regret my purchase. I am very satisfied with my new notebook and it responds to my needs. I got the base model, upgraded the ram and hd. The processor is very fast, the screen is great, and mostly important; everything works perfectly. An update will not bother me because the current MBP is perfect for my needs.

    Ask yourself if you like your notebook; if you do, keep it!! :p
     
  17. r00 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #17
    Last year was the first time I purchased an apple product. A Black MacBook which I returned a week later because they updated the MBPs in June? Anyway I got the HE discount on both notebooks. After realizing that selling the MBP was a mistake I bought a White MacBook on the 1st. Well... after seeing that MacWorld was on the 15th and there was speculation of a 13" MBP I returned it on the 9th.

    And guess what... if there isn't an update by the next two weeks I'm going back for another MBP. (Yeah, Apple is making a killing off of me) Anyway, no one gave me and problems about getting the 2nd HE discount. I would assume if you're exchanging or returning it to later get a different notebook you should be alright. It's probably for people who want to buy multiple laptops per year.
     
  18. powerchord macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    right where I am
    #18
    ?????
     
  19. robanga macrumors 68000

    robanga

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2007
    Location:
    Oregon
    #19
    I bought the same MBP on the 19th too. I love it so far. I tend not to measure the success of my purchases by how quickly something comes out to replace it. That can drive you whacky, you either are always waiting or always disappointed. Enjoy what you purchased.
     
  20. r00 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #20
    Yeah. I have a problem. Leave me alone.
     
  21. dmb3886 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2008
    #21
    yeah this is my first mac...and it's damn sexy too. i should be really excited and enthusiastic that i now have all these features at my hand, and im letting the possibility of an upgrade kill it for me. NOT ANYMORE THOUGh

    im not gonna spend an extra 200$ just to redo it all, thanks for your help guys. i like my laptop a lot, im probably gonna use that 200$ to get an external hard drive and a game or 2

    get it when you want it..waiting= ftl. i wanted it the other day (replaced a 3 1/2 yr Hp Pavilion laptop), so i got it
     
  22. powerchord macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    right where I am
    #22
    hurrah hurrah, you've seen the light!

    congrats! don't look back, enjoy the ride :cool:
     
  23. Sean9689 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    #23
    Just bought mine in early Jan as well. Despite all the rumors, I wouldn't consider sending mine back simply due to the fact that if there are upgrades, it won't make or break my enjoyment of my current MBP. I say, keep it.
     
  24. dmb3886 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2008
    #24
    i feel like we should have a mac party!
     
  25. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #25
    once i clear up some contract problems with at&t, i'll be buying an iphone. i was going to wait for 3g and 16gb, but i decided to go for it.

    just because something newer or better comes out, doesn't mean your laptop will work any less well. :)
     

Share This Page