Should i return my new macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by al82, Oct 31, 2008.

1. al82 macrumors regular

I had to return my first macbook because the battery would not charge after 3 days.

I returned another one yesterday because it had 9 dead pixels.

I got another one. The battery cover is loose but no big deal. However there is a chip, on the left side of the casing (around the screen part).

The dent is not huge but u can see it has been chipped.

I didn't think much of it, the my girl friend made a very valid point when she said her £279.99 laptop from tescos which cost almost a grand less then mine hasn't got any of those issues.

Am i being too picky?

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Picky? Nope. Those are legitimate gripes. I think most people especially those who have owned macs for sometime can agree Apple's QC isn't nearly as good as it was. Very disappointing.

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Probably not....

I believe we all work really hard to raise $1300/Pnd950
    Money doesnt grow on trees people and you deserve a perfect product!

4. northy014 macrumors regular

No. My new Macbook will be arriving next week, and you can be sure that if any of these problems occur on it, then I will be popping down to the Apple store, and I'll keep getting new ones until its perfect.

Apple's poor QC isn't your fault. Just because these are new products shouldn't mean that new purchasers have to beta test them.

CHANGE!

5. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, £1150 is a lot and i just cant get out of my head what my girl friend says about why should her laptop costing almost a grand less than mine be in better condition out the box.

A bit surprised about having a chip on the casing and i even noticed some dust under the screen.

6. chrisiw macrumors regular

No! I agree with you, MacBooks are alot of money, and should be, A1 FIRST TIME!

7. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Are all the new Macbooks made in the same place or are there more than one place where they are built? There is such a disparity in these threads with respect to the build quality... or so it seems. For every post I read where the owner is ecstatic there are equal posts like yours with display and dust problems. Mine is PERFECT in every way. I am so satisfied (and this is my 3rd Apple laptop purchase in 2 years) that I feel bad for everyone with the "washed-out screens", "dust", and "dead Pixel" issues.

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Return it. You spent a lot of money on it, so you should be happy with it.

9. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys will return it tomorrow.

Will let you know how it goes.

Someone made a comment about washed out screen. I knew i wasn't imagining it. The second one i had, the contrast it seemed way too high. The when i compared it to one in the store, the one in the store had much richer colors.

10. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Tell us how it goes. Apple's quality control is really pathetic, but on the brighter side that means a lot of refurbs are coming soon.

11. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Apple's QC has been becoming worse and worse the more the company becomes popular. The more products you sell, the less time you have to test and check each product.

It's just too bad to see quality drop like that. Even still, the quality of the computers are still much much better than most.

12. nishishei macrumors regular

Only when you are comparing a $1600 Macbook with a $500 Dell or Gateway.
    Try comparing a $1600 Macbook with an HP elitebook, Sony Z, or Thinkpad of similar price. I would say it's a wash at best. But I've never had any issues with those PC's. Apples users set themselves up for a low bar when they constantly compare their products with budget PCs a third Apple's price.

13. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Of course you should return it. And I wouldn't listen to anyone who tells you that "it doesn't effect the functionality of the product and that you're being too picky." What your girlfriend told you is exactly what I would say. The physical flaws that appear to be plaguing these new macbooks and macbook pros are absolutely ridiculous and wouldn't even be a matter of concern on any cheapo windows based laptop. You payed top dollar for an apple laptop and it should be flawless out of the box. I'd tell you to return it even if the loose battery cover was the only problem.

14. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Well guys they swapped it over with no issues.

I checked the other one in store and booted it up to make sure no dead pixels.

I got home and i pressed the S key and it came off, thats right when i removed my finger it came off the key board.

It snapped back on but still. Come on. Im seriously thinking about just returning it and getting a mac mini like i had before and a laptop for the same price.

15. northy014 macrumors regular

Apple really have had a shocker with yours, haven't they. I am really just hoping that when mine arrives this week it'll be one of the perfect ones, because I can't be bothered to take the train to my nearest apple store.

16. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Between me and one of my friends we have gone through FIVE macbooks.

1.Dead pixels
    2.Loose battery case
    3.Chip on side of screen
    4. Would not charge some of the time
    5. S key came off first time i used it

Apples qc has to be the worse i have experienced.

17. northy014 macrumors regular

Did u get them all from the same store? Maybe they got a bad batch.

18. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

That is what i thought too.

Thats why i went to 3 different stores here in London.

I finally got one that seems ok (SIXTH ONE) but the ****er said he would transfer my data over and after making wait for an hour i came to realize he hadn't transfered jack.

19. northy014 macrumors regular

Was that a Genius? From what I had heard they were supposed to be good.

20. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Can't believe it took 6 trys...

Very distressing that you went through so many computers to get a good one. Is this one perfect? I personally, have never had an issue, but reading all the comments on numerous threads is really concerning me. Rather than cave under the pressure of customers asking for new products Apple needs to wait until they have it right. This is ridiculous.

21. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

While it is a little troubling that the OP had to go through so many machines to get a good one, you should keep in mind that the vast majority of people that buy things don't report their purchases on web forums, and of those that do, the vast majority of them are only posting because they are having a problem. It's not very often that someone buys something and posts just to say that it works correctly and is free of defects.

22. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

it wasn't a genius who migrated the data it was the guy at the tills. Up until thenthey have let me set the machine up on the corner of their tills or somewhere in the store and migrate the data myself. This time the guy said since it belonged to the store, the one I returned they couldn't risk someone running off with one and said he would do it.

23. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Lol that's the first time I've every heard someone praising a "Genius."

24. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Good point!

25. Bwilky macrumors regular

Great point.

Sorry Steve, not all of us are as fortunate as you.