Should I run Vista or XP on my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crizza0309, Jan 16, 2009.

1. crizza0309 macrumors regular

Im gonna be using the mac os but for gaming ill switch over to xp or vista. I want vista cuz of direct x 10. Also if I get a virus on windows will it **** up my MBP? Im planning on getting the new 17" as soon as it comes out at my best buy

2. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Vista or XP. I have both and I think I would go for XP personally. Do a search and see what others say.

If your Windows partition gets a virus it will not affect your OS X partition.

3. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

I would use XP for the moment but then get Windows 7 when it's out for DX10 etc. If you format the Windows partition as NTFS then I don't think files can be transferred to and fro? But just delete everything from the Windows installation you don't want including Outlook, then just use the internet when you have to and keep the Windows up to date. That's what I do, don't bother with AV software so I don't have it running with games being played.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Vista if you get a SSD. XP if you're using a regular hard drive.

I personally use Vista, its stable for me and works well.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

XP at the moment, because its really resource light and great for gaming (Vista slows down games because its a heavy OS), its also cheap too. But when Windows 7 comes out upgrade to that.

6. dannomac macrumors member

Tee hee. I remember when XP came out. Nobody wanted it because it was too heavy for games, people said stick with Windows 98 for gaming. Now everyone wants to stick with XP.

Personally I think that Windows 2000 was the best version of windows.

7. DESILVA89 macrumors newbie

I have vista 64bit running on my machine and can honestly say that the next time I purchase microsoft for my laptop it would xp over vista.

Vista takes far too much space from your harddrive. XP seems much cleaner and will run everything just fine if not better than vista.

My recommendation (for now) sways towards XP (not 64bit!)

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Go back to windows ME:D cuz that wasnt a train wreck

9. dkhuynh macrumors member

windows me had to be the worst edition of windows imo.
    why don't you bootcamp with windows 7 beta?
    even though it's a beta, it's getting a lot more raves compared to the current vista with the service pack.

10. jon08 macrumors 65816

The problem about XP is that it only recognizes 2.9 GB RAM (I have 4GB), does, for example, 32-bit Vista Home Premium recognize all 4GB tho?

11. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I'd go for Vista, just turn off UAC (at your own risk of course). :)

12. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

The Windows section of this forum is completely redundant if running on XYZ hardware is the pretext for Windows discussions here or any other h/w section. No thanks I keep those Windows cooties off my machine and don't even want to relive my past Windows frustrations by being constantly reminded how to cheapen a beautiful rig.

13. johata3 macrumors regular

14. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Sound advice there.... :rolleyes:

15. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

From my experience I'd say you'll be happy with the windows 7 beta. It's flawless for me so far. A big performance improvement and some logical changes that just make it easy to live with.

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Expcept in August everyone who's installed it is going to have to delete it, because its only that, a Beta.

And loose all your data? Games? Saved Games? No thanks

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Vista x64 is very stable and mature now, so it's a great choice. XP x64, not so much. Even if you go with 32-bit, Vista is still the better choice.

Sarcasm, hence the ":D" ? ;)

18. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

I used the beta of vista and they carried the beta on until the final release then all I had to do was do a complete backup then install the release version then recover my programs settings and files. no problem. It's god to use windows 7 now until the real release. One step ahead of the game

19. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

It's funny. There's probably more Mac users than PC users who prefer Vista to XP....

20. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

If you don't have a SSD hard drive or 4gbs of ram, and still plan on actually using Windows on your Mac, do yourself a favor and install XP.

It handles systems so much better...or go to Windows 7. But there may be crashes etc...

21. krackers macrumors member

if you plan on really heavily using windows go for xp.
    You can also go for windows 7. More info on that on other threads

22. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

... even though it's a beta? Is it that much better than Vista or XP? Maybe I should give it a try...

23. brentsg macrumors 68030

Windows 7 seems more nimble and easier on system resources.

If you are going to run in VM Fusion then I would suggest XP because it requires less CPU and RAM.

24. krackers macrumors member

if you want ease of use and stability go for xp.
    using windows 7 on mac currently requires a lot of tweaking for sound and other features.