Should I sell my MBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jamesesesesess, May 21, 2012.

  1. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2011
    #1
    I plan on buying the new MacBook Pro's being announced at WWDC (assuming new ones will be announced then?), so they're probably going to be on sale next month. Should I sell my early 2011 15" MacBook Pro now? Or wait until the week before WWDC? It's already getting pretty close, and I want to get as much money out of it as I can.
     
  2. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

    sk8r1230

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2010
    Location:
    Indiana
    #2
    Mine sold in an hour after I posted about it...that was a week ago. I'm anxious as hell!
     
  3. ppilone macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2008
    #3
    Really just depends on if you can make it however number of days/weeks/months it might be before Apple releases new laptops. I couldn't last a day since my job depends on it so my answer is "No, you shouldn't."
     
  4. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2011
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #4
    Seems a safe bet that selling sooner will net more money.... That said, I think you should keep your current MBP and spend that money more wisely, like on drugs and hookers :D
     
  5. Jamesesesesess, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

    Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2011
    #5
    Wow :eek:

    Mine has some flaws, and I was actually hoping to replace the upper lid because of a couple dings in it, but I don't know if I'll have that much time...

    I'm on mine a lot, either just surfing the web, visiting forums, or photo/video editing, so maybe I should wait a little longer... maybe I'll list it the week before the announcement?

    Actually... what I could do is sell mine now, then order a MacBook Air from BestBuy and use that until the new ones are announced, then return. That way I'd get as much out of it now and not be without a computer. I know it's immoral, but I saw someone else here is doing it and it sounds like a possible plan.

    :D:D:D

    Nah I'm totally set on getting one of the new MacBook's, the only reason I got my early '11 one is because my HP Envy was falling into so many issues. I bought this knowing that I'd be upgrading once the redesign is out.
     
  6. JasonR macrumors 6502a

    JasonR

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2008
    #6
    Hahaha. +1
     
  7. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #7
    I also have an Early 2011 15" MBP (low end with high res anti-glare) and have been tossing the idea of "trading up" to the new one once it comes out. I got mine last September but I'm kind of mad that I didn't wait another month or so cause Apple updated them to better specs. My biggest gripe with mine is that I only have 256MB of graphics memory. The current low end 15" has 512MB. Either way I'd rather have 1GB of graphics memory. i do use my DVD drive fairly regularly cause I still watch and buy DVDs but I'd have no issue with using the DVD drive externally through USB. I also just upgraded the RAM to 8GB.

    Do you think it'd be wise to upgrade (trade up) now to the current high end 15" or wait cause the upcoming ones will be significantly better? My one hope is that I see a lot of people doing the two HDD setup with their MBP replacing the optical drive for a second HDD/SSD. I'm looking into doing that but I want to wait to see what the next MBP will feature to see if that is still an option.
     
  8. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2011
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #8
    I seem to remember a lot of wild rumors posted on this site's blog regarding the iPhone 4s until but days before the release, things like tapered redesign etc etc, which never happened... Now I'm not saying I don't think there will be a redesign of the MBP this year, but just sayin'... selling your laptop based on rumors of a redesign may not be the best idea either.
     
  9. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2011
    #9
    Wait until the new line. You'll be getting all of the new features that way. If the new MacBook's don't allow replacing the optical drive for a hard drive, you'll more than likely be able to get a lesser price on the current high end 15" because it'll be the old model then.

    I totally get your point, but I'm almost positive that these new ones will have a redesign. It's been a long time... plus I really want Ivy Bridge and a better graphics card. My current one only has 256mb and that's limited me down a lot. Although a redesign is probably the main reason I'd upgrade, there are other reasons too that would make want to upgrade.
     
  10. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    Good point. It's not like I need a new MBP given I just got this one back in September. It's mainly that pesky low end 256MB graphics that's bugging me. I don't know why Apple settled with 256MB of graphics for the low end 15" other then to get more people to pay more for the high end 15". If I had waited another month I could have gotten the high end 15" (early 2011) and I would have been much more satisfied. My MBP works great but in the long run that 256MB graphics is gonna come back to bite me cause it won't be enough for a lot of things. Even now it's barely enough for many apps/games to run well.

    My current specs:
    15" high res anti-glare
    2.0Ghz Quad Core i7
    8GB RAM (just upgraded)
    500GB 7200rpm HDD
    AMD Radeon 6490 256MB
    Mac OSX Lion
     
  11. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2011
    #11
    Yeah, the 256mb graphics are a b:apple:tch, but I've only really had big issues with them when I tried to run games in Windows via Boot Camp. Good thing I bought a PS3 so I don't need to worry about gaming :p

    Ah, I was going to upgrade to 8GB of RAM (running ~10 tabs in Safari + Spotify and maybe a couple other apps can REALLY slow it down... crashing the Safari Web Content service in Activity Monitor has become a daily requirement for me). But I never realized how soon WWDC was coming so now I think I'll just leave it alone. The only real benefit I could gain at this point is making a little more $$$ off of it when I sell it, but that doesn't matter to me anyway. At least now I know to make sure I get a good graphics card and 8GB of RAM when I get my second MacBook.
     
  12. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #12
    Yeah I have lots of tabs running in Safari (I usually go up to 14 or so) plus other apps running can really slow things down hence why I got the 8GB of RAM. I'm not really a gamer anymore but I do have a PS2 and PS3 but I mainly have the PS3 for the Blu-ray plus the occasional option for games. We still have 3 weeks to go until WWDC so I guess we'll have to wait and see how substantial these updates are. I'm hoping Apple doesn't take out too much stuff for the sake of making the MBP thinner.
     
  13. user418 macrumors 6502a

    user418

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    #13
    Okay, I'll say it if no one else will. What you propose is totally wrong and demonstrates a lack of honesty, integrity, and decency. Though you readily admit it's "immoral" you'll do it because someone else is doing it. Are we all so caught up in having the latest and greatest MBP that we allow situational ethics to dictate and justify our own shortcomings.

    There, I said it. Let the flaming begin.
     
  14. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2002
    #14
    Anyone who flames you for this should be shot.
     
  15. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

    Xcallibur

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2011
    Location:
    Manchester
    #15
    To be fair though, these companies make millions in profit, so don't feel too sorry for them.
     
  16. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2011
    #16
    I know that it's wrong, and odds are I won't end up doing it. By the time that my MacBook Pro is sold and shipped, it would probably be a week before they're announced. I have another laptop in my house that isn't often used; only by my mom (yes I live with my mom, I'm a teenager) for college work and she's done for the school year right now. I also have my iPhone 4S that I could use. However there are certain programs that I DO need for my job (I work for a photographer) so I don't know how long I would be able to go without one. I wouldn't be able to borrow my mom's laptop because it uses Windows and I use many Mac-only programs.

    But really, is one return going to harm this company that much? People say that it drives the prices up for us but I doubt that the pricing will change much at all for the next gen of MacBooks...
     
  17. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

    AppleDApp

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2011
    #17
    I sold my 2010 macbook pro in March. I've been using my iPad since.
     
  18. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

    SpyderBite

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Location:
    Xanadu
    #18
    Gawd I hope it's a September refresh if not for any thing else than to watch the tiny heads of the impatient pop like zits one by one. ^^
     
  19. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

    AppleDApp

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2011
    #19
    How is this post worthy of a down vote?
     
  20. underblu macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    #20
    to the OP you have a 11' MBP 15" which is a very potent quadcore machine. What apps are you running that are not running well on your existing MBP.

    The performance bump with IB for most real world apps is only going to be from 5 - 15%

    GPU intensive apps ie games could get a bit more of a bump depending on the what GPU card Apple puts in their refresh and what GPU card you currently have.

    Unless your running a high end rendering apps on your current MBP I doubt you'll notice any appreciable gain with the new MBP My advice if you want a snappier system upgrade to an SSD drive and maybe add some RAM and wait for a bigger performance boost before you upgrade.
     
  21. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2011
    #21
    I'm not really upgrading for the performance boost; I'm mainly upgrading for the redesign (if there is one). However I do want to get a better graphics card, 8GB of RAM (I know I can upgrade that myself, but still), and the Ivy Bridge, just so I have the latest technology. The heavy software that I use is mainly Photoshop, Logic Pro, and Final Cut Pro.

    My MacBook right now is already very speedy, just not when I'm running big files in Photoshop or editing HD video. I'm sure if I upgraded the RAM to 8GB, everything would be perfect, but when I bought this MacBook I went into it knowing that I'd be buying the 2012 refresh, so I'm just going to buy that.
     
  22. user418 macrumors 6502a

    user418

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    #22
    It's not that I feel sorry for these companies. I just feel that right is right and wrong is wrong. We justify our actions by pointing the finger at someone else. I also believe:

    You reap what you sow
    What goes around comes around
    Karma is a b@#*#
    The means don't justify the ends

    The real question is not how much these companies make. It's a simple matter of doing the right thing. Just my .02 worth.
     
  23. user418 macrumors 6502a

    user418

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    #23
    You probably are not the only one on this planet that uses that logic in an untold number of situations. Multiply that by thousands/millions and the impact is far reaching. The sad fact is that you are so young and already fallen victim to that sort of thinking.

    Trust me - someday, somehow, somewhere, someone will use that behavior in their dealings with you on a personal level. When asked why they'll simply say I did it because I saw another guy do it.

    It's your decision and you have to live with yourself. Maybe you'll have kids one day. I hope you give them the right guidance. Enjoy your new MBP.
     
  24. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2011
    #24
    I suppose. I believe in karma myself so I would probably end up dropping it, or spilling water on it, or something. I'll just list my MacBook late next week and use my mom's laptop until the new MacBook's are out.
     
  25. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

    myrtlebee

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2011
    Location:
    Baltimore-Washington Metro Area
    #25

    I wouldn't do that unless there are major dents. That's a pretty expensive part and I don't think the difference in final sale price with or without a new part would justify it.
     

Share This Page