Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should I do?

• Sell the G5 and get a 2.66 or 3Ghz Mac Pro

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Sell the G5 and get a Clovertown Mac Pro

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Sell the G5 and get a 24" iMac

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Don't sell PowerMac G5

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
It has 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256MB of GDDR SDRAM graphics
and 250GB hard drive.
Should I sell right now and get a 2.66 or 3Ghz Mac Pro, wait for Clovertown Mac Pro or get a 24" iMac. I am definatly going to be burning Blue-ray movies on the next Mac with Leopard and how much should I get for my PowerMac G5? Is the PPC architecture really that great the way I think it is? Am I missing a lot with the Intel Macs that Apple has right now? Someday Apple won't support PPC and PPC users that are remaining have to transition to Intel Macs. All I am saying should I transition to Intel Mac this soon? Or should I wait a couple of years? 1 or 2 maybe.

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
You would be mad to sell that machine. Its plenty fast! If you added more ram to that, like 2-3gb, you would be sorted. Quad G5's are zippy machines and will be for another year or 2 :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i agree with chairperson, but another question - what do you do with your quad? edit? play? record music?

if it's for work and if a new machine will help you turn out work faster, then definitely sell it. if it's not for work, i'd just keep it. it's a great machine.

cheers,
keebler

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
i agree with chairperson, but another question - what do you do with your quad? edit? play? record music?

if it's for work and if a new machine will help you turn out work faster, then definitely sell it. if it's not for work, i'd just keep it. it's a great machine.

cheers,
keebler

I make and edit HD movies in iMovie HD (I can't afford Final Cut Pro yet), listen to music in iTunes and make songs in GarageBand (to me Logic is not worth the price), record audio and Google Earth.
Thanks guys for the suggestions, sometimes I do nothing with my PowerMac G5 and I decided I probably don't need a faster Mac right now. PowerMac G5 is still a great machine, it does everything I need it to do and it's not going away anytime soon.:)

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
If you want sell it, let me know. :)

Plenty of audio and video guys use the last revision Powermac G5s. Those aren't wimpy computers at all. The G5 chip is a 64bit chip, so remember when 10.5 comes out and is fully 64bit, that is going to breath another breath of life into ALL G5 machines out there.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
No

No. I'm keeping mine 'cause it's a classic that runs classic.

Buying 8 core Mac Pro ASAP. But sell the Quad G5? Never.

1GB of RAM. You're shooting yourself in the foot. Adding 4GB with four 1GB sticks for $240 for two 2GB kits at Omni would change your world.

Why did you never add more RAM? Don't you know you need minimum 1GB per processor for optimum performance?

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
Thanks guys.
I will never sell the Quad G5. I will keep it, even when I get my next Mac.
The Quad G5 is the only PPC Mac that could beat almost any Intel Mac in performance.

Edit: Thanks Multimedia for the RAM suggestion, I will try to upgrade the RAM to 4GB as you suggested. For me 1GB was fine for what I did.
Is there anything that a PowerMac G5 Quad is better at than the Quad Xeon Mac Pro?

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Man, can't believe the people saying keep the quad G5. I guess they are ALL G5 owners.

Dude. Little word of advice here.

Sell your mac the SECOND you think you might want to. The longer you wait the less its worth. I sold my dual G5 the minute the quad xeons were released. I got $2250 for that thing. I paid $1600 the year before. Got it refurb from apple.

So I was out of pocket like $200 for a brand new Quad Xeon.

If you wait till its not good then that is what it will be when you sell it and that is what you will get, no money.

I try to stay as current as possible just because its cheaper in the long run. Every 6-9 months I sell what I have and buy brand new top of the line and it only costs me out of pocket like $200 - $400 and I always have the latest machine.

But besides all that. Why the heck would you want a machine that is slower than the current line, noisier, runs hotter, doesn't run windows, parallels, and will run photoshop CS3 slower than the intel units? Because it says G5 on it?

Ditch it. Get a base 2.66ghz machine and don't look back. YOu can sell that G5 right now for more than a 2.66ghz machine costs and you will have a faster machine.

Don't listen to the G5 owners in here. The Xeon machines are super quiet, fast and heck are upgradeable RIGHT NOW to 8 cores.

GO FOR IT! PowerPC is DEAD!

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
No. I'm keeping mine 'cause it's a classic that runs classic.

Ha ha freakin ha.

Thats exactly what I thought about my Powermac 8500. I loved that computer, never sold it. I can't GIVE IT AWAY! Nobody will take it and I love it too much to throw it in the trash. No. I am not giving it to anybody on here. I tried to give it to 2 of my neighbors and they said no thanks.

G5 quad. Same boat in 5yrs. Xeon there too but my point is you have to keep trading up. Keeping old computers for love sake is like burning money.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Like To Collect Macs More Than I Like To Sell Them

Man, can't believe the people saying keep the quad G5. I guess they are ALL G5 owners.

Dude. Little word of advice here.

Sell your mac the SECOND you think you might want to. The longer you wait the less its worth. I sold my dual G5 the minute the quad xeons were released. I got $2250 for that thing. I paid $1600 the year before. Got it refurb from apple.

So I was out of pocket like $200 for a brand new Quad Xeon.

If you wait till its not good then that is what it will be when you sell it and that is what you will get, no money.

I try to stay as current as possible just because its cheaper in the long run. Every 6-9 months I sell what I have and buy brand new top of the line and it only costs me out of pocket like $200 - $400 and I always have the latest machine.

But besides all that. Why the heck would you want a machine that is slower than the current line, noisier, runs hotter, doesn't run windows, parallels, and will run photoshop CS3 slower than the intel units? Because it says G5 on it?

Ditch it. Get a base 2.66ghz machine and don't look back. YOu can sell that G5 right now for more than a 2.66ghz machine costs and you will have a faster machine.

Don't listen to the G5 owners in here. The Xeon machines are super quiet, fast and heck are upgradeable RIGHT NOW to 8 cores.

My Quad G5 is very quiet. Without native PhotoShop on the Mac Pro, I didn't see the point of graduating until 8 cores arrived. I agree with your points if all you want is one Mac. But I collect them and intend to keep the Quad G5 for the rest of my life even though I will be the earliest of adopters of the 8 core Mac Pro.

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
I don't need to run Windows and Photoshop CS3 will run as fast as an Intel Mac if I give the G5 enough RAM.
The Quad G5 will probably beat the 2.66Ghz Mac Pro if I give my Quad G5 4GB of RAM.
G5 is not as bad of a processor as you think.
Not with the G5. G5 computers are still fast and beat Intel Macs in some cases.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
I don't need to run Windows and Photoshop CS3 will run as fast as an Intel Mac if I give the G5 enough RAM.
WRONG!

The Quad G5 will probably beat the 2.66Ghz Mac Pro if I give my Quad G5 4GB of RAM.
WRONG again.

G5 is not as bad of a processor as you think.
Yes it is. Its a hot as lava.

Not with the G5. G5 computers are still fast and beat Intel Macs in some cases.
Not with universal binary apps. Keep dreamin.

Now if you are so sure the G5 is better, why this stupid poll then?

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Xeon there too but my point is you have to keep trading up.

No, you don't "have to." Only if you buy into the constant upgrade treadmill. And running Windows isn't a plus...I'd say most of us have Macs to get away from that crap.

--Eric

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Lets not forget that radiator cooling your quad G5s only has a few more years before it starts leakin. Yeah. Next year or two this forum will be flooded with "My G5 is leaking" threads. Believe it.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
You really should have sold it a month ago! Watch the prices fall. Not like Enron, but by a few hundred dollars at least all at once with the release of CS3.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Next year or two this forum will be flooded with "My G5 is leaking" threads. Believe it.

Since the first liquid cooled G5s were released, some people have been claiming that they will start leaking any day now, and it still hasn't happened. Let go of your paranoid delusions.... Also, it's not very intelligent to sell your computer just to finance another one. If you don't have at least one usable computer aside from your main machine, you are asking for trouble. Because if it breaks down, you're screwed until it's fixed, and who knows how long that will take. Especially if you depend on the computer for any sort of income, it's irresponsible just to have one computer. Besides, there are all sorts of cool things you can do with at least two networked machines.

--Eric

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Don't sell it, wait a few more years and get plenty more use out of it. It is too expensive of a machine to be sold so early. Buy a 16 core Mac Pro coming in 2009! Don't take my word for it...

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Yes, I would :eek: As more and more software go universal, things will slow down.

Go Intel Now, while you are still able to get a decent price for the quad. Apple expect to sell (I think) something like 500,000 Mac Pro's on the back of Photoshop CS3 This means there are going to be a lot of G5's coming onto the market.

FJ

coach z

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2007
im selling my g5 for an imac so thats what i voted for, basically it is to stay on the top of the game in the computer world and to explore the world of intelmacs
-chris

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
Keep telling yourself that.

Thats incredible. A year or two ago how every Mac fanatic screamed how G5 was superior now that Apple has been well on its way they preach about Intel just like they did with the G5.

Then it gets better how before they all hated, ridiculed Windows blah blah blah then to this day a Mac user claiming how its good to have Windows on a Mac. I'm not attacking any Windows users as I am one myself though mainly for gaming needs, but the irony of some Mac users is unreal. What suits them today won't tomorrow.

It's so amusing, what Apple and Job's says one day most of the followers jump on the band wagon for the next.

I'm not trying to attack anyone or slag them off but these are facts. Yes the Intel's will be better for when people need them. Because lets face it technology evolves, but preaching to others and as many have seen it, it happens so many times. Trying to make people feel the need to get the latest and greatest when the previous one does them fine for their needs for the meantime.

It's so amusing when someone says PPC is dead, but its not or CS3 and Leopard and many other apps still getting supported wouldn't be getting made for PPC as well as Intel.
Sure the PPC machines are no longer in production, but I'll bet theres more PPC machines out there that people are using than the need to get a new machine because of Intel.
The whole procedure is exactly like the AGP to PCI-E transition that gamers were facing. The sad thing is the majority of it is all marketing BS. Not all but a great deal to make sales.

People seem to think oh you have to buy a new machine because Apple says so, or his mate says so or his friend of a friend. Things are only old and outdated when you feel its affecting your work or experience on a computer. Not because of some marketing campaign to get people to buy new stuff for the sake of new sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.