Should I sleep while on battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macDonalds, Mar 13, 2009.

1. macDonalds macrumors 6502

My last laptop was so freaking huge I never really took it off my desk. So, before I went to bed I would put it to sleep 95% of the time. Now with my delicious Macbook Pro, I'm more mobile and find I'm not plugged in before bed.

Is it ok to leave her sleeping constantly while on battery? Or should I just shut her down?

2. HerbyGunther macrumors member

I always shut down my MBP during night, I think it will prolong the life of the machine. During the day I leave it on standby, except after a long day of work the machine gets very hot, I will turn it off to cool it. Besides it's always good to start the day with a freshly booted up machine.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's fine.

Sleep does still drain the battery, but not by much.

4. rocwiff macrumors newbie

If your not going to be using it for awhile, I would just shut it down. The battery does drain slowly even during sleep, and after a few hours you would have used up some battery charge for nothing. These batteries do have a finite life span and it's probably best not to run it off battery if it's not necessary. Just my opinion anyway.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

In sleep my Macbook drains 2% an hour so its hardly exhausting, and in hibernation its about 2% a week.

6. jovanboi macrumors member

Is that true, shutting the computer down every time is better for your computer? I guess I was under the impression you could keep these running and *that* would be just as good for the computer. I always just put the laptop to sleep every night, as such with my previous Ibook G4. :confused:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Shutting down is not necessary. Many users run their MacBooks or MBPs 24/7 for months with zero problems. It prolongs battery life if you run some of the time on battery and some of the time plugged in.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I never turn off the computers at all. On occasion, I might just put it to sleep when I go to sleep, but beyond that, it never gets "shut down" unless I'm doing hardware upgrades / maintenance.

9. whitefang macrumors 6502

Should I set my Macbook Pro to AUTOSLEEP in say about 2 hours of inactivity? or is there no reason to shut down at all (this includes turning off autosleep)

10. rocwiff macrumors newbie

True, but why waste battery power at all? Especially when you've only got so many charge cycles before the battery health starts to degrade. Seems to me you would maximize your battery's life span by minimizing power wasted from sleep/hibernation.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, autosleep. It does save some power while plugged in, since it isn't drawing all the power need to run the MBP.

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I thought the adapter draws the same amount of power regardless of the load in the MBP?

13. Ramsav24 macrumors member

Battery drain question

I normally let my book sleep overnight and charge it when I’m close to an hour left on battery life. Lately I’ve hade this issue where I’ll put my book to sleep at about half-battery power with nothing running. If I leave it alone for a day (yes, sometimes I don’t need my Mac for a whole day) in sleep mode it will kill my battery, which is not good. This has only happened in the past few weeks and I’m wondering if something is wrong with my computer. It only seems to be happening when I’m in sleep mode. If I’m using my computer I don’t have a battery life issue. My laptop is all up to date and nothing has been acting funky. I bought it in December. Is this happening to anyone else?

14. James Cole macrumors 6502

In my old 17'' MBP i rarely shut it down most of the time I just closed/open the lid... not a problem in the 3 years I had it....

15. jagr200 macrumors member

The only time my UMBP gets shut down is when I am switching over to XP. Otherwise its pretty much constantly running.

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It doesn't degrade with modern Lithium Ion batteries. Poor maintenance and not calibrating monthly will cause life degradation.

17. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Of course it does. Not much, but it does. If sleeping uses 2% of the battery per hour, you add one battery cycle for every fifty hours of sleeping, that is every four or five days the MacBook is sleeping while not plugged in. The battery doesn't last forever, and this makes it wear out a bit quicker. Nothing to worry about if you do it once in a while, but you don't want to do this every day.

Better to just plug it in at night. And it will be freshly charged in the morning.

18. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

how do you put it to hibernate? all I know how to do is to close the lid to put it to sleep!