Should I spend the extra cash for the 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by John9721, Dec 30, 2013.

1. John9721 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, its been a while since I've posted but I'm getting back into iOS devices after a long (and bad) run with Androids. Currently I have a Samsung Galaxy S III through US Cellular, however my contract ends on January 11th and I'm picking back up my Sprint/Virgin Mobile plan. My options for iPhones range from the 4 up to the 5s, however I'm only considering the 5, 5s, and 5c. The 5 comes in at $404.99, the 5c at $449.99 and the 5s at $549.99. I'm leaning toward the 5c because of the cost, and also I prefer the appearance of it to the S, but is the S worth the extra $100? It would be used mostly for texts and calls, social media, and occasional YouTube. I'm ready for any and all feedback! Thanks!

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It is only $100:rolleyes:

As long as you have taken care of your Healthcare!

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

4. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

If you are already willing to spend that much money I'd go the extra $100 and get the 5s.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Buy the one you like, they're all good phones.

I prefer to have the newest tech, so I went with the 5s.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Your call to make as worth is highly subjective regardless of topic. Features and specs are listed on Apple's site for you to compare. If you have specific questions then ask away.

7. John9721 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, my main question would be what am I gaining in the 5s over the 5c? I know the A7 vs A6 chip and the fingerprint sensor, but what is there beyond that?

----------

Willing? Kinda. Going to? Hell yes!

8. Ender Wiggins macrumors member

Where are you getting these prices from?

The 5S is $649 for the cheapest model.

9. John9721 thread starter macrumors newbie

virginmobileusa.com

10. Ender Wiggins macrumors member

Nice. Wish I could save $100 somehow. I'm on T-Mobile.

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

12. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

You aren't going to notice much of a difference software wise. And both will be crippled by the 1gb of ram before the A6 starts to struggle in my opinion. Just go with the 5c. The 5S does look a lot better though

13. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

14. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'd go with the 5s. Noticeable camera improvements as well and I just love the convenience of Touch ID!

15. cynics macrumors G3

The 5 and 5C are virtually identical aside from the housing. Personally if I wasn't partial toward plastic which it doesn't seem you are considering you are looking at the 5S I'd just get the 5 if it's cheaper.

So do you want the 5 or 5S? The 5S gets you a better camera, better flash, better processor, addition M7 processor, finger print scanner and although it varies a lot of people have reported better battery life.

If you plan on keeping it for any length of time I'd go with the 5S. But in either case you'll be getting a good phone that will do everything you are looking for just fine.

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

School 1: Always buy the latest, protect against premature obsolescence.

School 2: Buy what YOU like, you are the one who has to look at it everyday.

5s vs 5c = no appreciable PRESENT user experience difference except for fingerprint as mentioned. 5s advantage is geared toward the FUTURE.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If cost is a factor and you like the looks of the 5c then definitely go for that phone

18. John9721 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I had a chance to stop by Best Buy today and play around with both, and I think I'm set on the 5S. The C felt too much like my current GS3 (plastic back) which was what I'm trying to get rid of. The S just feels better built and its so freaking smooth. The C seemed a little glitchy already. Thanks to all of you for your help, I'll make sure I let you know what I get, just need to pick a color!

19. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Me as well...:/ Could have saved a lil money...aw, screw it. :cool: I feel fine paying "too much" for an iPhone. It's Apple.

20. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I tested a friend 5c with my 5s.

-The 5s camera is better in low light.
    -The fingerprint is very convenient. I know while playing with both, you do spend a lot of time putting in the passcode. Even when the 5s was laying upside-down I could use my fingerprint to access it.
    -Speed test.. surfing is iffy. Sometimes the 5s is faster and sometimes the 5c. Gaming is definitely faster on the 5s.
    -5c quality reminds me of the white Macbook but more solid. It's very nice imo. 5s very easy to scratch.

whatever you get, you will pop a case on it and no one will know which one you have :)

21. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I'd either consider the 5 or the 5s = I went with a 5 on contract for a total of ~$60 with the yen rate vise ~$200 for the 5s on the same 24 month contract.

I had the cash to get either but didn't feel there was enough advantage to get the 5s now...in 2 yrs I'll probably be getting a newer phone like most do anyway:p

22. ray6712 macrumors regular

ray6712

purchase the S at all cost soon all apps will be written for 64bit yes they will support the legacy apps for a while but for 100 dollars get the newest tech

23. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. If it were me, I'd spend the extra money.

25. John9721 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've come to that conclusion. I went to the Apple Store at the mall today to play with both again and see all of the colors, and it made it seem like an easy decision. The 5c just doesn't feel right in the hand