Should I still get the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple-NoEscape, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

First off: I know this is my decision, just looking at peoples opinions.
    Second off: PLEASE no one that's just going to say 'I hav had no problems with the phone, it's perfect!' As this is a real issue, I'm glad that wherever you live you are getting good signal, I just hope you never go traveling.

Basically I'm not happy with apples whitewash or sugar coating of the problem, fact it the problem is hardware, they designed the phone badly and are now scrambling to try and mask that.
    Speed tests don't lie.

I mostly use my phone for texting/Internet, I barely even use my phone for phonecalls, in the last year I have probably made about 5 hours of calls, that is if I don't include my last girlfriend (now ex) who liked to phone me the minute I left her and then fall asleep on the phone at night -_-
    So how much is this problem effecting messages? If at all?

I can probably live with using headphones for calls to completely eradicate the problem with signal and the proximity sensor (which I hope they address in the patch/update)

What I really want the new iPhone 4 for is the new camera, because let's face it the 3gs camera sucks and as a photography student it's nice to not always have to bring a dslr everywhere. (I know a camera phone will never be as good as a dslr, I'm not stupid)

I was really holding Apple would adress the problem and not just try and hide it, dissapointng really.

2. ripkord macrumors 6502

3. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Just have a beer and relax, you will feel better then :)

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

If you were a friend of mine asking this question I would say "no". Wait for an update of some sort that clears up the issue.

5. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

the kilted one speaks true

6. Apple-NoEscape thread starter macrumors 6502

What has that got to do with anything, life may be short but I still would like to have a phone in that short life.

7. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

then don't get it.

mods: can we merge this into any one of the myriad of other similar threads?

8. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

Don't fuss about it, if, it doesnt work it doesn't work, so bring it back! Otherwise use it, enjoy it for the screen, speed and other ios4 improvements. I have to admit mine is working, but even I have trouble with the proximity sensor and it dropped calls because of that... Still I trust Aplle to bring out an update in a few weeks as they always do and make it a much smoother ride.
    I've had several phones (nokia, but also ericsson was famous for its software) that had idiotic quirks, but I never ever saw an update for those bugs. At least apple is working not them.

9. jbro1999 macrumors regular

why wouldn't you get it? Everyone loves it. The people that are whining either don't have one, or do and wont return it because they love it too much.

10. Apple-NoEscape thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Seems to be the same thing I'm getting from people I know IRL that have already made the leap.
    I may wait and see what you lot have to say about the patch as ovbiously people here and the rest of the Internet won't lie about it working or not.

Edit: Removing that request as some people are crisply giving good advice now, thanks. :D

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

My thoughts:
    If the camera is the only thing you're really looking at, then why not hang out a few more weeks and see if Apple fixes things or just covers them up? Are there any significant events or trips where it'd make a difference in which cellphone camera you had with you?

Since you have a 3GS that works, there's no harm in upgrading and keeping your 3GS for a while. If the iphone4 works for you great, if you have a bunch of problems, then return it.

Think about how you'll use the iphone4. Will you be using it nekkid or with a case? I think a lot of people treat the signal problem like a scab; something that'd not be a problem if they'd quit picking at it. How many 3GS's do you really truly see in the field without a case or skin of some sort?

As for me? I came over to the iphone world from Blackberryland and bought a used 3GS just before launch. Figured it'd be a good way to see if I like the platform before doing an upgrade. Wasn't able to preorder and with the delays on the white version, I'm just sitting back with my 3GS until I can see the white iphone4's in person to decide which version to upgrade to.

12. fobia79 macrumors member

+1

13. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Get it. No device is perfect. If you wait for the perfect device, you'll never get anything. I am really enjoying mine!

14. big0mar macrumors regular

Just buy it, and if it doesn't work for you, then return it. :)

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Are you left or right handed. I actually don't have a problem with holding it in my right hand while making calls, but being right handed naturally I hold it in my left with poking at it with my right hand. Therein lies the problem.

16. Apple-NoEscape thread starter macrumors 6502

This is true. I just expected it too be more along the lines of 'the battery is crap, the screen isn't as good as they made out etc' not 'the phone doesn't make calls' :p

And as someone said above, It is probably a testiment to how hood the phone is if people won't return it.

I just don't want to lose my unlimited data, as soon as I upgrade I'm going to lose that from my contract. So the phone has to be worth that.

17. Apple-NoEscape thread starter macrumors 6502

Right handed.
    But when using the phone for Internet or texting etc I seem to hold it with both hands and use my two thumbs for the typing/scrolling aspect of things.

And when quickly scrolling to make a phone call I think I use my right hand again using my thumb. EDIT: After testing it seems I use my right and left hand equally.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You loose unlimited data if you cancel your contract, not if you extend it. Upgrading the phone does nothing in that regard.

19. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

No? I got to keep mine.

20. Apple-NoEscape thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm guesing you two are American? Or at least not on O2.
    O2 issued a statement before the iPhone 4 came out saying that if you wanted to upgrade you would have to choose one of their new plans.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Sorry, but I had no way of knowing you were in the UK.

22. Apple-NoEscape thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I understand. I hope my post didn't come across as being snide.
    I was just pointing out that I was from the UK :D

23. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Get it, definitely. You already said you are willing to work around the problem. Turns out the work-arounds are pretty simple, and once you do that, the phone is nearly flawless. Get a bumper or another similar case, preferably one thick enough around the sides to open up some space between your hands and the metal.

If you are in a particularly marginal signal area, you may want to set the phone down and use a headset to take full advantage of the iPhone 4's exceptional low-signal performance.

The Anandtech article here puts the antenna issue in proper perspective. Just read the section on antenna performance if you only care about that issue.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review

Get the phone! You'll love it!

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Not snide at all, but you may want to add your location to your MR profile so people can answer your later questions accurately.

25. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

That's basically robbery in my opinion. Bad way to do business, I know AT&T is not better but at least I do not have to change my plan.

Don't buy the IP4. If AT&T had tried that with me, I would have canceled my service and bought a IP4 at full price.