Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
I currently have unlimited data (via the 2g trick) and I was trying to weigh the pros/cons of switching to the $15/200mb plan.

I plan on surviving on only 200mb with the following 4 steps:
1. Pulse news reader - can download all the recent stories of my favorite websites over wifi in one shot and read them later data free
2. Opera mini browser - compresses the websites you browse on for very minimal data consumption. Uses about 1/4th of what safari would use.
3. Navigon - GPS app with on board maps so you don't have to download anything.
4. No push email - I log into my email through the web browser when needed.

Pros:
- Save $360 over a two year period (the biggest one)
- Can upgrade on AmazonWireless if I want for great savings without worrying about losing unlimited data anymore
- Can keep my phone on Edge all the time for great battery savings (no temptation for 3G when I'm using Opera Mini which really speeds up edge browsing)
- One of the main reasons to have unlimited data is for tethering, but now that Att is cracking down on people tethering you might as well just save money right?

Cons:
- No more on the go Netflix/Crackle/Hulu+ streaming or FaceTime over 3G
- If I switch to Android down the road (say with AmazonWireless), Google Maps Navigation becomes less appealing with only 200mb

I guess I just feel like I'm not really using the amount of data I'm paying for and wanted to hear from others what they think I should do (especially people who have switch from unlimited to tiered).

Thanks for your help :)

hoing

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

200 mb is like 20 mins of web surfing so...

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
My thinking is why even have an iPhone if you're going to limit yourself in this way? Sounds like taking all the fun out of it in my opinion.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011

Well like I said with Opera mini web browser it compresses web browsing to use VERY little data + Pulse news reader allows you to store the stories of all your favorite websites while on wifi to read them later data free. So I could do slot of web browsing on the go even with 200mb.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
My friend did this and has no regrets. She never goes over and has 3G on everyday with no wifi right now.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
No. Don't switch from Unlimited. You'll regret it. I do :(

:(

Sorry to hear brotha. Why do you regret it so much? I'd like to hear why from someone who has done the switch and why they regret it now.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
:(

Sorry to hear brotha. Why do you regret it so much? I'd like to hear why from someone who has done the switch and why they regret it now.
Because I switched to get the tethering and tried to switch back like 48 hours later and they wouldn't let me. Now I get the crappy "You have used 80% of your monthly data." message from AT&T every damn month.

I hate AT&T for getting rid of unlimited. Soon to hate Verizon as well.

Most people don't know that most home internet providers have caps but they are all like 200GB, which most people will NEVER use. Having a 2GB cap is just unbelievable. The top tier should be a 10GB cap. That would ween almost EVERYONE off of needing unlimited data and would ensure that most legitimate heavy users, such as myself, wouldn't go over their data usages.

I can't stand it. I'm going back to Verizon, but it won't be in time for their unlimited :(

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I have wifi at home and wifi at school. Basically everywhere I would use my phone, I have internet, and when I am anywhere else I am usually paying attention to my surroundings.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
I am on WIFI about 90% of the time too and I still use over 1GB of data every month. Even with Opera compression and utilizing every method you can think of to minimize data, it will still be difficult staying under 200MB/mo. In the grand scheme of things, you're not really saving that much money.

Here's how to solve your problem:

Try doing everything you said to minimize your data usage. Try this for a couple of months and keep track of how much you've used, but keep the Unlimited during this time. After the two months (or however long you want to try it) is over, THEN decide whether you were successful and whether the savings is worth it or not?

My guess is no, but there may be a small fraction of users who could still be very happy with their iPhone while limiting themselves to 200MB. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I'm not a heavy user by any means and there's NO way I could do it!

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
You just need to decide what best suits your needs. Based on what you use, there is a possibility that you could get by on 200 mb per month. The best thing you should do is to check your past usage data and decide from there. If you decide to move down, then you should start out with the 2 GB plan for a couple of months, and if you find that you are under the 200 mb barrier, then go ahead and move down.

Of course I should note that if your only form of internet at home and on the go is your phone, then you will want to keep the unlimited. (Or if you do A LOT of streaming, you can burn through even 2GB pretty quick)

(Bonus note: Netflix has an option in your account settings on the website that you can select the quality of your stream to save your data as well. However, it is for the US only and it affects everything that streams Netflix from your account. [Apple TV 2G, Wii, Blu-Ray player, ect. all stream the same quality that you select to save data for your phone.]

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
I currently have unlimited data (via the 2g trick) and I was trying to weigh the pros/cons of switching to the $15/200mb plan.

If you have to make so many changes to your mobile data usage habits, I would just keep unlimited (or the 2 GB/month plan to save $5). Personally, I reviewed my data usage when AT&T announced the tiered pricing and I had never been over 200 MB. I am always connected to WiFi between home, work, and school so I only had to rely on wireless data while running errands and such. I didn't have to change my habits at all (I never stream media or anything).

Moral of the story: review your history and pick the plan that fits how you use your phone, not the other way around.

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
Because I switched to get the tethering and tried to switch back like 48 hours later and they wouldn't let me. Now I get the crappy "You have used 80% of your monthly data." message from AT&T every damn month.

I hate AT&T for getting rid of unlimited. Soon to hate Verizon as well.

Most people don't know that most home internet providers have caps but they are all like 200GB, which most people will NEVER use. Having a 2GB cap is just unbelievable. The top tier should be a 10GB cap. That would ween almost EVERYONE off of needing unlimited data and would ensure that most legitimate heavy users, such as myself, wouldn't go over their data usages.

I can't stand it. I'm going back to Verizon, but it won't be in time for their unlimited :(

Despite seeing that you're a Penguins fan, I'll offer you this. Many who have given up their unlimited data for the 200MB plans have found success in calling AT&T and saying they plan to cancel and go to Verizon for their unlimited plan. AT&T then offers to let them have unlimited back in order to retain their business. You may want to try this if you still want your unlimited plan back.

--Red Wings forever!

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

... Why post when you're just posting garbage like this.

_________

200MB is a good amount. I currently have a 500MB plan and I only use about 200-250MB a month. I could easily use less than 200 MB a month with a good amount of 3G usage.

If you're planning on using Opera Mini, you will never even get close to that 200 MB mark. I'd recommend doing it.

AlexJaye

Suspended
Jul 13, 2010
I'm on 200/month & never go over... but, I have WiFi at home and most places I go. I learned how to scrounge for WiFi with years of using an iPod touch, though.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Lmao funny comparison is like getting a bunch of heroin heads off the drugs and on a minimal amount of methodone...except I think you guys are going through worse withdrawal than them! :p:p:p:p:D

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I have unlimited data, but I'm always around wifi so I use that. My data usage is very low. Always under 500mb. So I've thought about dropping down.

I always look at it like this.
Its better to have unlimited data and not need it, than do need unlimited data and not have it.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I have unlimited data, but I'm always around wifi so I use that. My data usage is very low. Always under 500mb. So I've thought about dropping down.

I always look at it like this.
Its better to have unlimited data and not need it, than do need unlimited data and not have it.

I agree. I think it’s better to spend the extra money and not ever have to worry about it, than to constantly have to check my usage. If anything I’d probably have to be above 200, so I’d only save $5.

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
I switched to 2GB. I'll probably drop down to 200MB soon. I just don't use that much data. Once I got an iPad, I really don't use the iPhone for data other than what apps use. I occasionally search for something and my most data heavy app would be maps.

I don't regret switching. (yet ;))

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Don't do it.
I was forced to switch from unltd data to 500 MB... and I still always go over that.

I'm switching to 3 now with 'all you can eat data'

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Why would you want to use Opera Mini on an iPhone? It's awful compared to Safari. You may as well get a Nokia.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Depends what you do with your phone. If you stream radio over 3G all day long, you'll need unlimeted. If you sit at home in an office with wifi, you can save yourself the extra $15 (like I did) and go to the 200mb plan. Don't regret it at all. I have data when I need it (for maps and such on the road) and not for bandwidth sucking things like online radio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.