should i take iphone pictures vertically or horizontally?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Nov 20, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i always thought vertical was how it was supposed to be..but when i put em on my PC they come up sideways. horizontal/landscape would give me more coverage

2. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Horizontal is more like what an actual camera would shoot. I always shoot horizontal.

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I would say each situation differs. So if you want to take a pic of a tall building... use it vertically. if you want more of a wider image, take a pic horizontally...

If you're looking for a right Vs wrong way... you're not going to get it.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Horizontal is better if you're trying to use your iPhone as a "real" camera.

5. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

but if i send it or try to put it on facebook or email which way will it send, veritical or horizontal...i ask because when i plug it in it shows up sideways

6. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Mine always show up with normal orientation... doesn't matter which way i take a pic.

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Same here, they always show in the correct orientation,

Cody, how are you holding the phone when you take them? Is the home button towards your right?

8. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i mean when i hold vertical then plug into PC to view em

9. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

some i edited or weren't taken with camera

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I understand that, but the iPhone usually shows them correctly, regardless of how they were taken. What I'm asking is how you're holding the phone? If the home button isn't pointed towards your right, with the volume buttons pointing down, then the orientation won't be correct.

11. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Funny, I always shoot it with the home button the left and the volume buttons on top, makes it easier to use the VolUp shutter as well. Never had any problems doing it that way.

12. Legionnaire macrumors 6502

man this forum gets some stupid questions.... is it better to be right handed or left handed? anyone know????

13. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

most all my picture are shot with the camera up and down (vertically)..but when i drag them to my desktop they're sideways

i always thought the iphone was meant to be shot vertically

14. skasol macrumors 6502

Let't try to be respectful of others question. If you thought it was "stupid" don't participate. That's all.

I take them horizontal for the majority f the time except when I need a portrait view as opposed to landscape.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.076098,-118.381253

15. SoloStyle, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

SoloStyle macrumors regular

This is what I've been reading too. It's also how I just naturally turn the phone when I'm taking a picture, without even thinking about it. However, on an iPhone commercial I saw on tv last night, they demonstrated the picture taking by turning it so the home button was on the left, then pressed the volume up button along the top, as if it were a regular camera.

So now I'm wondering if there is a right or wrong way, at least according to Apple.

16. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

It's just from Cody. He starts a thread for every question that pops into his head.

17. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

so volume buttons down?

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I disagree with you on that one. It's a fairly legitimate issue that he's having. (pictures not showing up in proper orientation).

19. BFG86 macrumors 6502

Just checked mine and indeed all the vertical pictures taken with my camera appear 90 counter clockwise in windows explorer. The vertical pictures saved to the camera roll appear just fine