Should I Take My iPhone 3G Back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alucardx03, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I waited in line on launch day and picked up a shiny new white 16GB iPhone 3G. When I got home, I noticed that there was a huge smudge on the underside of the glass. In fact, it was so bad, it would discolor the screen. Very distracting.

I took it back and they exchanged it without any problems. However, when I got my new iPhone home I noticed that there are three dead pixels, with a fourth stuck pixel that goes from being active to dying again.

I tried all of the flashing screen stuck pixel fixes and nothing worked.

I'm debating exchanging it again, but I wasn't sure. I just went through a huge debacle, returning two faulty Macbook Airs and I feel like they're going to think I'm just too picky.

Also, I'm hesitant because the new phone I get could be much worse than my current one. After reading about dust under the screen, upwards of seven dead pixels, cracked cases, light leaks, and more horror stories, I'm considering cutting my losses.

But then I keep reminding myself that I dropped $300 on this thing, and I should be happy with it.

I tried ignoring it for a few days to see if they wouldn't bother me after awhile, but no luck. I find my eyes returning to those same little specks on the screen.

Has anyone else had any luck exchanging a phone for a few dead pixels? And, how many of your phones are defected in some way? Do you think I would have a problem with a third? I have a feeling that my chances of getting a no-hassle exchange will decrease each time I return it.

I don't think I'm being picky (and I'm not taking a phone away from someone who is waiting, considering they have units set aside especially for returns... I would wait if that wasn't the case), but these minor defects are driving me nuts.

I would love to hear about any other exchange experiences. Thanks a lot, guys.

2. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

That's right buddy, you paid 300 dollars for it and now your going to be billed a lot from AT&T. So go back to that store and exchange it, you have all the right to do it. Ignore the issue with the macbook air and when they replace the new iphone, make sure you inspect that it is perfect in front of them. And if it isn't, then exchange it again. Don't worry about what they think in the store, they're not paying for it and are not losing money, they're doing their job which is to make you a happy customer.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Well said!

4. Alucardx03 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your responses. I think you're absolutely right. I'm going to take it back Wednesday.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If there's any way for you to take it back to a different store and/or get the replacement from them, I would recommend it. In smaller markets, these kinds of things are sometimes shipped out in batches, often from the same run at the factory. Since you got 2 bad ones from the same place...

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I skimmed the thread, but if your iPhone is having issues, you have every right to go to an Apple Store, have a Genius look at it, and give you a fresh one. If i have a slight issue from now on i'm going to go right there. I put off minor issues with my first iPhone, but as much as i pay for this phone, it's going to be 98% perfect.

That 2% is software.

7. MacSKY macrumors member

Definitely take it back! While not iPhones, my local Apple store has been very good about exchanging computers purchased with dead pixels. And they didn't even meet the dead pixel count threshold that Apple reportedly imposes (rumored to be 8-10 dead pixels = immediate exchange). The key is get it back ASAP after your purchase. The other thing I would recommend to everyone, especially since they activate the phone in the store is give it a good once over before you walk out. If there is a problem right out of the box, tell them you want a new one!

8. ryanmanu macrumors regular

yeh i would definatley take it back, they wont think you are too picky as its not like they put you on file for exchanges and look at it every time you go instore

9. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

damn you paid for a 100 percent perfect fully-working iPhone, and that is what Apple/ATT must provide you with.. Have no fear..

10. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

My iphone was quite buggy and everytime I used certain apps the phone would crash and it'll reboot from nowhere, taking a while for the phone to restart. I restored phone and the problem persisted. I went to the apple store and some guy in a blue shirt walking around said. 1st there are none available to make an exchange. and second all phones are going through this, since it is obviously a software issue, new phones are always buggy.

I then left because of what he said first, but as soon as new phones are in stock I'll make an exchange either for a new one that works perfectly or my money back, because I paid a lot for a phone with so many issues.

11. Alucardx03 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's weird. Each store got a number of extra phones for exchanges. I have a feeling the guy was just in a bad mood. I'm experiencing the app crashes too, but it does seem to be software related.

12. tritonj macrumors 6502a

ttake it back and keep taking it back till you are satisfied with what you got, if you don't whatever imperfection you see will be staring you in the face for the next 2 years and it will bother you like crazy

13. Alucardx03 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just thought I'd post an update of my situation.

I took back my iphone. The woman was very nice about it, and gave me a shiny new phone. I checked it out as best as I could, but I was in a huge rush (they were running a half hour behind and I had a meeting to attend).

When I got a chance to check it out, I noticed that there were three specks of dust under the screen, with one right in the middle of the proximity sensor. Additionally, there were four dead pixels running in a line down the middle of the screen. Needless to say, I scheduled an appointment at the genius bar.

I just got back from the Apple store where I had a very unpleasant experience. The "genius" that I got was a complete jerk. He told me that "no iphone was perfect" and that "if you look hard enough, you can find a defect on every one." First, that doesn't inspire faith in the manufacturing process. Second, these devices are supposed to be made in a dust-free environment. The fact that there is dust under the screen is concerning, to say the least.

After he literally brought out a magnifying glass to see the dust under the screen, he told me that it wasn't bad, but he would give me a replacement anyway. As if on command, a guy walked up beside me and told another genius that his phone had a single dead pixel. Without any further questions, this other genius replaced his phone.

The genius that I had continued to be a jerk throughout the rest of the process, and even offered to show me the floor models with the other defects. I politely said, "no thanks" and got my new iphone.

So on my fourth try, I finally got an iPhone that is perfect. There are no dead/stuck pixels, no fingerprints under the glass, no light leaks, and no cracks in the case.

I would suggest that if anyone has any problems with their iPhone, take it back and request a replacement until you get a satisfactory product. Don't settle for anything less.

14. Poeticashes macrumors member

Thought I might give you my insight on the situation...

I waited in line on launch day...first in line..and over the 16 days I spent the 299.99 + tax I have had a working phone for the grand total of ...2 days.

I've had four iPhones..each one having a different defect:

1. Wouldn't connect to the network; dent in back of casing
    2. Wouldn't recognize any of SIM Cards; 2 dead pixels
    3. 9 Dead Pixels; dents on back casing
    4. Would not activate after failed attempts from AT&T and Apple.

Fifth one from Apple Executive Customer Relations comes Monday...he told me if there are any anomalies he told me to send it back immediately and he would contact the engineers.

If you can get another one, go ahead, but beware it will probably have something else wrong with it.

And at the same time, I am dealing with getting a refund for my third defective Macbook Pro...each is a separate issue.

15. shinenjk macrumors regular

Why do I get this feeling you are one of those anal people?

Just what are the chances that you are getting these defective items 5-6-7 times in a row? Probably better luck winning a lottery. I don't believe any of your complaints, stop being a perfectionist.

16. Poeticashes macrumors member

Believe what you want to believe, but I wouldn't call, "not connecting to the AT&T, a phone not activating or recognizing a SIM Card and a screen filled with 9 dead pixels" being anal. It is called "we want to meet demands and will speed up production processes in order to meet the hype."

I could care less about a dent or scratch on the back of a phone. The phone just not working? Well, if that's being a perfectionist, or anal, I'll take that label.

The Macbook Pro is a different story. First one had the "mooing" issue so Apple replaced it. Second time, Apple had to replace the casing 6-7 times due to the case separating from the unit. Third one had a faulty hard drive. Oh well, right? 3200.00 is okay for a product that performs..almost to spec. Apple customer service has been superb, and I have no complaints whatsoever. But I think I will be sticking with my Asus Eee PC 900 until Macworld.

17. shinenjk macrumors regular

Well didn't mean to offend you or anything but damn, you must be the unluckiest Apple customer in this forum if everything you said is true. :rolleyes:

18. Poeticashes macrumors member

None taken at all. It is just things that happen with product launches with TONS of hype surrounding them.

The PSP had the dead pixel issues, as well as pinholes in the screen. And although there are some issues here and there still, Sony has refined the production process.

I have full confidence that Apple's offshore plants will be able to produce things more efficiently come October. Frankly, I just want a phone that will work.

The iPhone is great, revolutionary, and breaks the barrier of all market demographics. It will likely be THE product of this decade. And I know I will eventually get a working phone. Nothing is EVER perfect, but it should at least be functional.

Nintendo, now that's a perfect company. ;-)

19. Poeticashes macrumors member

Got my fifth one in the mail today..I have one of those dust clumps that look like a smudge dead smack in the middle of the screen...I could care less if it was say "tiny, microscopic pieces of dust that are only visible when the screen is off" kind. Or even a tiny stuck pixel in the upper right hand corner. That would suffice.

So for example when a sentence would say "What is your name?" the dust(blob) would block out the "ur" and change it to "What is yo name?" Zooming in does fix it but it is present all the time(except on the loading screen). A big glowing blob. Watching movies has the same effect..and gives characters the "Enrique" mole.

AT&T made me change my number to boot because both Apple and AT&T were having trouble activating the device. So, as of right now I am going to get two bills in the mail for two numbers, one of which is not active.

On to number six it looks like. Not giving up on the product.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I need to file this on "reasons why I don't like to buy stuff when it first comes out." It took Apple a few months to work the kinks out of the first iPhone (battery life, bugs, speaker, etc.). Considering this was a decent redesign with new firmware, it sure enough seems like a repeat. I know it sucks for all of you who bought 'em, but just remember that it usually isn't worth it to stand in the long lines.

On a side note, I must say those white iPhones are ugly as two-tone hell. If the black part on the front was white as well, maybe it would be OK. But it just looks like something slapped on for the heck of it. I'll be putting a cover on mine whenever I upgrade, so it won't matter much. But egads!!!

21. Alucardx03 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think Apple has a serious quality control problem on their hands. Each day, these kinds of threads are growing and growing. I know a lot of people don't examine their phones as closely as I do, but I suspect there would be a lot more returns.

22. Poeticashes macrumors member

I didn't even have to examine my 5th phone closely to see the fault...if my girlfriend is able to see it, then it's a problem.

She attempted to wipe what appeared to be a piece of debris off of the screen...still have no idea exactly what it is, but it sure is annoying when it obstructs text.

23. Zathu macrumors regular

Zathu

I have the same issue with my white one..

1) Dust under the screen
    2) 3 dead pixels
    3) 4 dead pixels

I bought it at AT&T and have had the swaps done at Apple. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and paying a restocking fee to return it to AT&T and then get another one in a month or so. I kind of want the black one next time, I don't think there's any other way swap colors.

24. Alucardx03 thread starter macrumors 6502a

To all those who are exchanging their iphones 5 and 6 times, I learned that it is good to try a different store. I got the first 3 phones from one store, and when I decided to switch stores, I got a perfect one.

I think there may just be bad batches at certain stores. In fact, the same thing happened to my brother.

25. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Agreed. I bought mine at AT&T on the 11th and it has large cracks on the back without dropping it once and has major light leakage. Do I have to take it back to AT&T, or will Apple let me return it there??? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm going to the Apple store anyway to return some bad Bose earphones, so I'd prefer to do it there. Thanks in advance for the help! :)