Should I take my MBP in for servicing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vbman213, Jul 27, 2010.

1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

So I have had my MBP (See my sig.) for 2 weeks now. And from day 1, I noticed that my right hinge creaks when I open/close the computer. The sound is no where near as loud as most of the videos on youtube. My sound is not a loud "POP", but it is definitely a "pop" nonetheless.

Also sometimes when I pick the computer up, and the screen is open, the same "pop" sound is made. And I always pick my computer up properly. Two hands, evenly distributing the weight of the machine. I NEVER pick up with one hand. Don't want to risk damaging the structure of the unibody...

I don't know if this is related to my hinge issues, but I've also noticed something else.

I can't really take a picture of it, but here is a picture describing what my computer looks like...

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I want to point out that I the image does not properly reflect the actual overlap. In all actuality, the overlap might be the thickness of a few sheets of paper. Hard to see when looking, but you can definitely feel the overlap if you run your finger along the edges.

The sound is very minimal, but it is making noises that do not sound normal. The left side is perfectly silent. I went over to a friends house today, and his MBP is totally silent when opening/closing the lid. But mine makes a very unnatural noise...

I've already contacted the nearest AASP, and they told me that they have seen this issue before and can have it repaired within few hours to 1 business day.

I want to get this rectified as soon as possible, and not give it the chance to turn into a MAJOR problem later on.

Otherwise, my computer is amazing! I've been using it for 2 weeks now. No weird freezes. Everything works just fine. It is just this hinge that is giving me a little trouble.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I dont know if the picture is showing the Macbook when closed because my same computer has the same problem.

3. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it is closed.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'd definetly bring this in. The display not being centered on the Macbook would really annoy me. The creacking would also annoy me, and if it makes a sound, that usually means there is something wrong.
    My sig. 13" is perfectly quiet when opening, closing, and picking up the laptop.

5. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Totally agree. This AASP is very close to my house. And they are very professional. I've heard nothing but good from them...

Actually they were closed today. Want to know why? All their "techs" were attending a training conference. So by tomorrow, they should be fresh and ready to fix my MBP =)

I just hope they don't think I'm crazy. I went last week because I heard a noise that sounded like a loose screw. But it turned out to be nothing... xD

6. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

turned out it was just a loose screw in your head?
    0_o

7. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Bring it in now before the problem could get worse.

8. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, the sound was so soft that the tech honestly couldn't hardly hear it. They had to turn the Air Conditioner off to even hear the sound. He was shocked that I even heard it. The sound was part of the mechanical mechanism of the SuperDrive. Not a loose screw. Or anything loose for that matter. Normal sound.