Should I trade my 13" MBP for a new Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yongren, Jan 19, 2011.

1. yongren macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm a college student with a 7-month-old MacBook Pro. It's 13" , 250 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM, 2.4 GHz processor.

I love this computer. I've been a Mac user for a while, but this is my first one to own for myself. I've been very, very happy with the Pro.

However, I have to admit that I have been very envious of the new MacBook Airs since they were released.

I love the form factor, the higher-res screen, the SSD. Mostly the form factor, to be totally honest. I'm way into minimalism when it comes to computing, and I love the idea of a small computer that is nothing more or less than what I need on a daily basis.

Which is very basic—web browsing, iTunes, iWork, and occasionally Adobe CS4 products. I'm certain that I could manage with a smaller hard drive, and I have a hunch that I wouldn't notice the slower processor much either. I haven't decided whether I would feel the need to pay for 4 GB of RAM instead of two.

The main things I would miss about the MBP would be the backlit keyboard and possibly the optical drive, but neither seem to be deal breakers.

I've looked around a bit and I think I could get around $1000 for my current laptop on Amazon, which is enough to make the cost of an Air sound much more reasonable.

--------

Have any of you others made a similar switch from MBP to Air? What has your experience been? How do the computers compare in terms of general speed and reliability? Battery life? Have you missed the backlit keyboard, optical drive, or any of the other features of the larger computer?

Is the screen on the 11" too small for a primary computer? I'm very comfortable on my 13" , especially with Spaces enabled. Is the 13" worth an extra couple hundred dollars? Is the difference in processing power noticeable?

Would it be more reasonable to wait until Lion is released, or another year or two for the next Air update?

Any other thoughts or input? Thanks for your time!

2. aberrero macrumors 6502a

Yes, get the 13" Air, 2GB ram is enough.

It is fast enough for any basic usage and the form factor is just great. I keep thinking about how I could have purchased a cheaper PC, but there really isn't anything out there that is this thin and this light.

3. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would say stay with the pro... While the air is great, the pro is easily upgraded and has features that are nice to have in college(backlit keyboard)Use the money to upgrade the hdd to SSD and or ram

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

5. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

13 +++1

4GB ram sure why not you will need it cuz the time you need it what you gonna do sell your MBA
    if you are a student you can get it for 90CAD so get it to be on the safe side
    plus think of resale value

6. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Keep the Pro and save up for MBA, since the Pro is a much better laptop then the air.