Should I transfer all my CDs to iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applefan289, May 31, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I have a ton of old CDs, and currently have an iTunes media library with only purchased music from the iTunes store. Should I load all my CDs to iTunes?

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If you want all your music in one place, or to put it on an iPod/iPhone/stream to Apple TV, then sure.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. Theteapartyvip macrumors newbie

It depends

If you want all your music on your computer, then yes. If you want all your music on your ipod, then yes. If you're happy listening to them as CD's and don't use your computer as your main stereo, then probably not. It's up to you really.

5. bobobenobi macrumors regular

6. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I just had the thought because I know all my CDs will wear out eventually. But then again that could take 10 years.

Maybe it's best just to leave the CDs as CDs and just have the purchased stuff on my computer?

7. Theteapartyvip macrumors newbie

Personally, I put all my Cd's on my computer and then packed them away in a box so that I had more space. It's a good idea to have your music all in one place, especially if you're worried about the CD's wearing out.

8. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

CDs do not "wear out". If you don't take care of them and let them get scratched, eventually they'll become unplayable, but they don't wear out. If you take care of them, there's no reason they won't work for decades to come. I got my first CD player in 1983 and the only ones that quit working were physically damaged.

That being said, it's still a good idea to get all your music into your iTunes library. I've been using an AppleTV as my music server for years now (and my computer before that). I quit "listening to CDs" a long time ago.

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I spent the time between Christmas and New Year's about 5 years ago ripping all my CDs to my iTune library at 320kbps. Now the CDs sit in a box in the basement, not taking up multiple shelves in my living room...and I have instant access to any one I want via my iPod or HTPC, WD TV Live Plus, etc. It was well worth it.

10. mstrze macrumors 68000

Just load them in. Even if you have 400 CDs, it will probably only take you a month or so to do it, then put the originals in storage. I have been doing it haphazardly, but on a good day, I can load 30 CDs into iTunes.

Aside from time (although the whole process runs in the background...you can set iTunes to to automatically import when a CD is loaded) and possibly wear and tear on the drive, I think it's a no-brainer. If you don't do it now, you will surely be doing it in the future with some other form of home entertainment allows you to consolidate your CD collection.

Make sure you do it on the highest setting you can tolerate (based on HDD storage space availability and sound pickiness.) I encode my music on the highest setting available as I store my entire iTunes library on a 1TB external (backed-up through Time Machine, of course).

Do you really like messing with CDs when you want to hear a song? Wouldn't it be much better to be able to just choose any of your songs from a menu, or type a song in a search box and immediately hear it? Or be able to take any of your music with you wherever you go (via iPod)?

I don't see how you can say it's best to leave the CDs as CDs. There really is no good reason to leave your music trapped on CD.

11. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Surely this is a question only you can answer based on how you listen to music?

12. Consultant, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011

Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant