Should I trust this guy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I sold my iPad 2 on eBay today. He paid $440 for it, and has 10 out of 10 positive feedback. However, he wants me to try and ship the iPad quickly because he is " I am moving out of country and my flight is 25th feb. please send with 1-2 day shipping I'll pay extra shipping." How should I proceed?

Sorry if this is slightly off topic.

2. Mike4AU macrumors member

3. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

I don't see why not... You are shipping it to a paypal's confirmed address. Just make sure he pays the extra for shipping first.

4. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

:\ He has already paid the original $440. Advice on what I should do please? :mad:

5. OH!MAC™ macrumors member

OH!MAC™

also, make sure you get signature confirmation, its one of PayPals "seller protection" requirements on items over $250.00. the speedy shipping will probably have it anyways.

6. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

Just do it. He's only asking for expedited shipping. It's not like he's asking to ship it to another country.

Tell him to send you enough for two-day shipping and send it then transfer the money into your bank account.

7. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

8. LFMNX macrumors regular

Send a paypals invoice for shipping cost. When he pays then expedite the goods

9. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't do it. These rushed scenarios are never good. Don't trust it.

Deal with in country, nearby.

I once had someone message me, "I'm not in the state right now- I'll pay an extra $50 to have it today, I'll send you the money, give me your address and I'll pick it up after you've recieved the payment."

These are scams. Business should be smooth and easy.

10. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

So, how do I proceed. I received other eBay offers. But can I just go around the winning bidder?

11. SgtBullmoose macrumors member

This. No, you can't go around the Winning Bidder without getting owned by Ebay. Just make him pay for extra shipping. Dunno why this is complicated.

12. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Sure you can. And you should. What this guy is saying is too vague. I don't like it.

Out of the country? Why. What country. And now he wants you to pay shipping charges?

I would end it with this guy and just go to somebody else. And I personally don't deal on eBay- I go straight to Craigslist. I like doing things the old fashioned way.

So, what I would do now ask him for more information, if he refuses to give you that information and it doesn't sound reasonable- I would say, "Sorry, I can't do that." and just leave it alone. It has to be fair.

13. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

:( I'm getting mixed advice.... And since he already has paid, has no negative feedback, yet. I think I will have to ship to him. I will have a signature confirmation as well as insurance. Is there anything else to prove that what I'm shipping is an iPad 2 / and was as described if there is a problem..?

edit: I also took a screenshot of the serial number through iTunes.

14. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Oh! I didn't know he already paid. If he already paid then, what's the risk?

Make a video of the device. That's what I would do.

15. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I don't think this is shady at all. I am one of the people who always want things right away. He already paid so just wait for money for expedited shipping charge.

Take photo of the iPad in box w outgoing tracking number etc. all proof that you shipped it.

You should be fine ;)

16. miamialley, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I don't get the advantage of selling on eBay over Craigslist locally. eBay is fully of scams and hefty fees.

17. Capt T macrumors 6502a

On a big ticket item, you don't have to meet some one face to face. Risk any kind of scam/following you/whatever, that could happen with a Craigslist sale. Both services have their pros and cons.

18. matttye macrumors 601

You always run the risk of getting a chargeback no matter who you sell to on eBay.

From what I've seen, Paypal favours buyers over sellers. Even when the seller does everything properly, the seller still loses out on money when they run into a chargeback scam.

I wouldn't ship until the cleared funds have arrived in your bank account. As far as I know Paypal will only pay back funds from your Paypal account to the buyer, I don't think it will actually charge your bank account if you have insufficient funds. They would instead give you a negative Paypal balance and ask you to pay money into the account. (If I'm wrong about this, please let me know someone!)

If this happened you would at least have the chance to dispute the matter with Paypal without them automatically taking the money back.

19. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I don't see what the problem is. Asking for something to be dispatched quickly is not particularly suspicious in my book. I've asked people on ebay to do the same for me on more than one occasion.

Just sounds to me like the guy wants an ipad to take on his travels. If you're not going to honour the contract you should tell him NOW so he can make other arrangements.

20. matttye macrumors 601

It's suspicious because it doesn't give enough time for cleared funds to arrived in the OP's bank account.

21. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

One of the reasons eBay is safer:

On Dec. 21, Trenker and four of his children — ages 7, 8, 9 and 12 — drove from their home in Miramar to the Tivoli Gardens apartments in Deerfield Beach to sell an 18-inch gold necklace to a man who had identified himself as Galven.
    Trenker's fiancee, Tonya Saiz, had put an advertisement on Craigslist several days earlier, hoping to sell the jewelry to raise some extra holiday money.
    But when, at the last minute, she could not show up for the sale, Trenker volunteered to go.
    The transaction was scheduled for 3:30 p.m. in the apartment complex's parking lot. Trenker said there were no immediate signs that the deal was a setup. His children waited inside his white Chevy Avalanche. "It looked like some guy who wanted to buy a necklace," he said.
    According to Trenker, the men who met him spoke briefly about the necklace. One suddenly snatched it and ran. Trenker gave chase. The men ran over a footbridge and into some brush. One of the supposed necklace buyers turned and fired 10 shots, emptying a .22-caliber pistol.

Full article: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...0111230_1_bullet-holes-necklace-bullet-wounds.

You NEVER know who is going to show up. Aside from the Craigslist connection it's an interesting article. The guy was all over the early morning national TV shows.

22. matttye macrumors 601

That's why people should agree to meet at Police Stations.. it suits both legitimate buyers AND sellers :)

23. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Have him Paypal the additional shipping cost and if PayPal,says it is ok to ship, you are good. I would take pictures of the device being out into the shipping box and send to the PayPal address with signature required.

If you follow the rules, you are protected. eBay only eats the young of those who do not follow the rules. After near 700 sales and purchases, I have yet to be scammed.

24. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

As long as the address you ship to is the address listed in PayPal, you ship it with signature required and optionally insurance (because insurance will not cover you if they rip you off) you are safe. If it is a scam, as long as you follow eBay's requirements you will be covered. It might take a while to collect, but you are covered. Make sure ALL communications between you and the seller are over eBay messaging as well because in the event of a scam eBay reads that. Been buying/selling on eBay for 14 years and only got scammed once but was covered with no problem.

25. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Perhaps I'm too trusting but I've always dispatched items as soon as the paypal payment has been sent, and items have always been sent to me in the same way. Even £1000+ items. Have never had a problem and we're talking about many hundreds of transactions.

I would perhaps take a more cautious approach if a buyer had no feedback or was overseas, but I really can't see the problem with this.