Should I try?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, May 22, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

My iPhone 4 has a mushy home button, that often doesn't recognize my presses. The speaker on my iPhone sounds pretty bad (tinny!), a lot worse than my 3GS. I got my IP4 like a month ago on Craigslist though, it basically looks like it's in perfect condition, but I do wonder why it has the speaker problem. (water damage?)

I just bought a Zagg maximum protection shield (covers the whole device, sides and all) but I'm debating whether I should apply it now, or try my luck at the Apple store first, and ask if they could replace my device.

What's my luck? Any tips on how I could pull it off?

And if they do replace it, will they give me a brand new iPhone, not some refurbished one? And I know this may sound stupid, but what are my chances of getting a white one? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

---
    Sent from my second generation, tabular Apple product

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Apple should replace your device provided you have a legitimate problem. You also have warranty on your device provided it has not been voided. I would get it repaced first before installing the skin, knowing that there is a problem with the phone. Absolutely no chance of getting a white one. Very little chance of getting a new one. Most probable chance of getting a refurbished one.

I'm not trying to put you down or tell you otherwise, but that's what you should expect.

3. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Alright, so they have refurbished iPhones in the store? I've never had to return or exchange anything at an Apple store before, so I have no idea. And I don't have warranty I guess. No reciept or anything, and I wasn't the original purchaser, a man on Craigslist was. I do however have the original box.

---

4. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

They'll test the button instore to replicate the problem
    If they see no problem no replacement.

You've no chance if getting a White one

5. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

6. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Heck yeah it is!

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

No receipt is needed, doesn't matter if you were the original purchaser or not. I've purchased a lot of iPhones from craigslist and warranty swapped a number of times. As long as the phone is still under warranty (it should be since it hasn't been a year since the phone was released), they will replace it if the water damage sensors have not been tripped.

8. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Sweet. So I can walk in, say the problem, if they deem it flawed they replace it right there, without ANY proof or whatnot? Is there a way I can tell if the water sensor was tripped? On my other phones I just had to take off the back.. Haha obviously that isn't an option here. I looked it up but I'm still having trouble, guessing you know?

---

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The two are located in the headphone port and dock connector. The proof is them looking up the serial number and seeing if it is under warranty (problems may include previous user already damaging it and it is now out of warranty). Just check on apple.

10. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

11. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Sweet, I've got no water damage, and warranty until Oct. 2. Thanks :)

---

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I like how you seem to have a legitimate problem that would be covered under warranty, yet continue to try and figure out how best to lie to get a replacement. Why not just go in and be honest instead of pre-planning how you'll try and trick them?

13. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Ha. What if they don't think my home button's bad enough? What if they can't hear the difference in sound from my speaker? It's borderline stuff.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you have a legitimate issue, then don't worry about it.