Should I unplug MBP when turned off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hello880, Sep 10, 2011.

1. hello880 macrumors member

I noticed that there was a little ticking sound in the bottom left corner if i left the power adapter in when the MBP was off... and when I unplug the magsafe adapter, it disappears. Should I just leave it unplugged when I shut down?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

This doesn't happen to me.
    Are you sure it isn't just the fan in the power brick? I have something that sounds like a fan in mine when it gets hot.

3. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

No I'm pretty sure it's not the fan because I don't hear the ticking at all when the MBP is turned on... only when it's off and plugged in.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There is no fan in the MagSafe power supply.

It won't hurt anything to leave it plugged in when off. Battery charging is automatic and will shutoff when it needs to. (The same goes for sleeping or awake and running - the battery charge will be handled by its controller.)

I don't have any idea what you're hearing on the Mac, though.

As a side note, there's really no reason to shutoff the Mac, especially if you leave it plugged in (so the trivial amount of power used during sleep isn't even a factor). Just close the lid and let it sleep.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I didn't know that. Do you know what causes a whirring sound in the MagSafe 95Watt power brick that came with my MacBook Pro 17"?

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Should be 85W, but anyway... If you're putting your ear up to it, you might be hearing some component vibration due to the input a/c frequency (buzzing at 120Hz).

7. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Transformers aren't silent as far as I know.

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You are right. It's my battery that is 95W/hour. :eek: And that makes sense about the sound.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I was curioius if they changed anything in the latest models, so I went and checked mine (it's an Early 2009 17" UB) against the new ones, and it's the same.

10. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

Will unplugging every time I shut down and plugging back in after I turn it on like 10 hours later affect the health of the battery in any way?

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Doubtful it would ever be noticed, if it even did. But, if you're keeping the charger itself plugged in, you aren't saving any power off the mains by disconnecting it from the MBP anyway - small amount that it is. As I mentioned, there really isn't any significant power used if it is connected.

12. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

This is a fairly new MBP so the battery health was still at 100% for the past month but in the last 2 days it dropped to 99% for some reason... and I've been trying the unplugging-plugging in thing for the last 2 days... could this be the reason?

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

No.

Battery health randomly fluctuates, readings are just that, readings, the controller can be off, and temperature, humidity level, amongst other things can affect battery life and health.

You should learn a new technique for battery care, called: "not caring". Fussing over such things is taking away from the enjoyment of your new machine. I've taken no particular care of my battery which is now going on 4 years old, and it's still holding about 3 hours worth of charge(original capacity was around 5 hours for my model MBP). When it dies, I'll just stick a new one in.

Enjoy your computer, don't worry about it.