Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rachel1015

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
Me and My brother both have macs i have a pro and he has an air. once the update came out he updated his mac then his computer completely crashed, now i worried my might crash everything on my mac works completely fine but i still wonder if i should update my mac?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Reactions: Buggyflayer

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Disk utility in el crapitan is a total disaster , why on earth they have dumbed it down to this degree is utterly beyond me

For that alone I'd stick with Yosemite

Especially with a mac pro

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl
Disk utility in el crapitan is a total disaster , why on earth they have dumbed it down to this degree is utterly beyond me

For that alone I'd stick with Yosemite

Especially with a mac pro

Totally with you George. The new disk utility is an absolute joke. I've been writing up some feedback stuff late in the evening when I've had time which I'll send to Apple. This disk utility debacle just matches the trend of dumbing down the OS, which really started with 10.7 Lion. Like you, I really feel they've gone a step too far with this new Disk Utility.

I've got a 2012 Mac Mini - they crippled the latest model so I wouldn't upgrade. A total backward step! However, I'm plagued with random restarts at the moment. I've previously had two mainboard replacements for graphics anomalies and a picky memory card reader. Plus the Applecare has just run out - but I know they'll still sort it out despite that. The thing is, they menitoned if I contined to have problems they would just sort me a brand new machine. Whilst I don't wish to sound ungrateful, I won't be hapy with a crippled Mac Mini!

I've been using Mac's since 1988 so leaving the Mac environment is not something I'd do lightly, but I'm seriously considering it at the moment. I've been dabbling with Linux Mint for a while now and it's really starting to look appealing to me. Having said that, I've just bought an old Unibody White Macbook for 180 quid and will plan on using 10.6 Snow Leopard for my regular tasks - just hope it works OK.

Anyway, I want to say it again. The new Disk Utility in OS X 10.11 El Capitan is totally BOT!

UPDATE: Actually I forgot to say something which is important. Since I've updated to El Capitan, Apple appear to have made my external superdrive completely redundant without a 3rd-party disc burning app. Utter disgrace. Please someone prove me wrong!

Buggyflayer

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2014
West Sussex, UK
Totally with you George. The new disk utility is an absolute joke. I've been writing up some feedback stuff late in the evening when I've had time which I'll send to Apple. This disk utility debacle just matches the trend of dumbing down the OS, which really started with 10.7 Lion. Like you, I really feel they've gone a step too far with this new Disk Utility.

I've got a 2012 Mac Mini - they crippled the latest model so I wouldn't upgrade. A total backward step! However, I'm plagued with random restarts at the moment. I've previously had two mainboard replacements for graphics anomalies and a picky memory card reader. Plus the Applecare has just run out - but I know they'll still sort it out despite that. The thing is, they menitoned if I contined to have problems they would just sort me a brand new machine. Whilst I don't wish to sound ungrateful, I won't be hapy with a crippled Mac Mini!

I've been using Mac's since 1988 so leaving the Mac environment is not something I'd do lightly, but I'm seriously considering it at the moment. I've been dabbling with Linux Mint for a while now and it's really starting to look appealing to me. Having said that, I've just bought an old Unibody White Macbook for 180 quid and will plan on using 10.6 Snow Leopard for my regular tasks - just hope it works OK.

Anyway, I want to say it again. The new Disk Utility in OS X 10.11 El Capitan is totally BOT!

UPDATE: Actually I forgot to say something which is important. Since I've updated to El Capitan, Apple appear to have made my external superdrive completely redundant without a 3rd-party disc burning app. Utter disgrace. Please someone prove me wrong!

kinda hijacked the thread but also agree that the UI for the latest disk utility has been overly dumbed down.
As far as burning without 3rd party, look here
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22122?locale=en_US

nemguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2013
Me and My brother both have macs i have a pro and he has an air. once the update came out he updated his mac then his computer completely crashed, now i worried my might crash everything on my mac works completely fine but i still wonder if i should update my mac?

No. Wait until Apple release 10.11.2 at least.

Reactions: George Dawes

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There are two ways to update and keep "a way to get back to where you once belonged" if things don't go as expected.

FIRST WAY:
Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable external clone of your internal drive.
Then, test-boot it to be sure it can start up the computer if things go wrong.
Then, disconnect it and put it aside.
If you update the internal, and things go haywire, you can:
a. Power down
b. Connect external
c. Switch-boot to the external cloned backup
d. Re-initialize the internal drive
e. "RE-clone" the backup drive BACK TO the internal drive.
You'll then be "back where you belong".

SECOND WAY:
Again, you need an external drive.
Do an "experimental install" of El Capitan onto the EXTERNAL drive first.
Then, set it up, use it on-and-off, try it with apps, etc.
The idea is to see if it can work for you before you commit to it as your "main OS".

Your brother probably didn't take such precautions first!

Reactions: George Dawes

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
It would help if you told us why you want to upgrade?

Like others have said before its safer to wait until Apple releases 2 or 3 updates to El Capitan.

You might want to make a list with plusses and minuses about the upgrade, there is no harm keeping your current OS if newer one has more downsides.

If you decide to upgrade I recommend that you don't rely only on Time Machine, cloning your Mac is safer option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.