Should I upgrade to the iPhone 7 from my 6S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, May 31, 2017.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I have the iPhone 6S and it works fine.

I was wondering if the front facing and back camera upgrades were worth it?

Or if any other features would make it worth it?

I'm interested in a jet black iPhone 7 128GB.

2. Relentless Power, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

In terms of camera comparison, I think the comparison between iPhone 6S and 7 are fairly comparable. I wouldn't say there's any major differences between the 6S and iPhone 7, with the exception of optical image stabilization on the iPhone 7 (4.7), which iPhone 6s does not have. Both take fairly impressive photos for a smart phone, and I would say the results are marginal between each other. The iPhone 7 does someone take better lowlight photography, but nothing substantial.

3. maxjohnson2, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017

maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

No.

Unless you go to the pool a lot. In which case, still wait for the next iPhone.

4. fartnugget213 macrumors member

I'm going to be frank with you, unless you are getting the 7+ I wouldn't.

Comparing the 7 to the 6s, you'll get:

1) Marginal battery life improvement
    2) Better camera under certain conditions (lowlight)
    3) Water resistance

I had a 6s and I moved onto the 7+, I've used my friends 4.7" 7 and let me tell you, it did not feel like anything changed at all. The differences were subtle that I opted to go for the 7+ and have a larger screen, larger battery and dual cameras.

That said, if you have the cash and you have the itch, the ball is in your court.

What you could do is, purchase it from the Apple store, use the phone for the 2-week return period and decide for yourself if it warrants the purchase.

5. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

The 7 has great stereo speakers, a better processor, waterproof and a better home button. If you can get a deal, move to the 7.

6. Susurs macrumors 6502

Susurs

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I don't want to be "that guy" who's always telling people to wait for something better rather than enjoy what's available right now, but if there's nothing wrong with your 6s (which is still a very good phone by any measure) why upgrade to a 9 month old 7 when a new model is just 3 months away?

8. Math889 macrumors 65816

If I were you , I would wait until September , and then upgrade to IPhone 7S or 8 I don't know . Not worth upgrade 6S to 7. Its the same phone.

9. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I purchased the 7 and gave my wife the 6S. Just for fun the other night we opened various apps and such on each device and really. . . they're about the same. I did get the 256 option so now I have the complete West Wing series downloaded instead of having to download just a few.

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Wait till September and see what Apple brings under the hood and if it's not appealing then get the 7 when the drop the price.

11. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Really makes little sense to buy a ip7 now when in 4 months it will be $100 cheaper. And are you not interested in the new design one either?

Of course, it's only money. :)

12. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

I recommend waiting 3 more months and either get the 8 or the 7s

13. Sunny1990, May 31, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

I agree what Brandonjr36 said^, only three months left in new iPhone release.You should wait and get 7S or iPhone 8.

14. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

15. Relentless Power, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017

Relentless Power

Worth the upgrade? From my point of view, the selfies are better on the on the iPhone 7 over the 6s. How much better? I would say the iPhone 7 is the choice. Both front cameras still use the same 2.2 Aperture, which essentially means the same amount of light entering the camera. If anything, the sharper contrast/color is is better on the iPhone 7 with the higher megapixel, producing more vibrant photo's, but perhaps not enough for the average selfie taker to realize any significant differences, at least based off my experiences. The iPhone 7 front camera also has a wider color capture for photo's/Live Photo's.

Overall, I think the 7 is the upgraded front facing camera and being you seem like you Heavily invest into the front camera, it might be the better option of the two, being the improvements are their with additional features.

Unless you're not interested in the iPhone 8 and you want to upgrade relatively soon, then perhaps the iPhone 7 is your choice. Or, as others have said, if you are interested in waiting until September, then perhaps waiting what improvements are incorporated with the new iPhone model.

iPhone 7 Front Camera: 7MP sensor, f/2.2 aperture, 1080p recording
    • Retina Flash
    • Wide color capture for photos and Live Photos
    • Auto HDR
    • Backside illumination sensor
    • Body and face detection
    • Auto image stabilization
    • Burst mode
    • Exposure control
    • Timer mode

iPhone 6s Front Camera: 5MP Front Camera, f2.2 aperture, 720p video recording
    • Retina Flash
    • Auto HDR for photos and videos
    • Backside illumination sensor
    • Exposure control
    • Burst mode
    • Timer mode
    • Face detection

16. BrunoMD macrumors newbie

The jump in the 6s to 7 small is microscopic. The image quality is about the same. Even the 7 to 7 plus, the only real differences are the batt life, screen size and blurr effect. Otherwise, ordinary camera shots are the same. Speed and snappiness is about the same as well.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's certainly more than microscopic with a different CPU architecture, and the Plus has more RAM, for example.

18. BrunoMD macrumors newbie

Sure, when you're talking synthetic benchmarks. Otherwise, daily usage wise, it sure feels microscopic. No doubt on that. I own all three phones and they all are equally fast

19. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

So, if selfies are important to me, then I should get the 7?

20. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

The 8 is suppose to come with a front 3D camera and is suppose to be out of this world from what I read online.

21. Relentless Power, May 31, 2017

Relentless Power

I can't answer that question directly. You have to ask yourself, do you find the justification for upgrading to the iPhone 7 worth your money for a front facing camera?

Reportedly from my previous post and based off my usage, I think the front facing camera is "Good." But if it were me, I would not upgrade from the 6s to the iPhone 7 just for a front facing camera, when the next iPhone is almost here within three months. Unless your completely determined to upgrade due to that one feature, then that's up to you. But the iPhone 7 front facing camera is improved over the iPhone 6s front camera, but it's incremental.

If you purchase the iPhone 7 new, you likely would have 14 days to test out any features and return it before your 14 days is expired. That would be my suggestion to you.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ah, yes, good old perception.

23. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

24. RoadWarrior56 macrumors member

I am keeping my 6S. I don't have the "courage" to give up my headphone jack.

25. Black05Hemi macrumors member

I don't understand threads like this. Aren't there like a hundred threads asking the same thing already?