Should I use a glass screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by marty1990, Feb 24, 2015.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

I bought an Anker tempered glass screen protector for my 6 Plus. Just wondering if I should actually use it.

Does iPhone use a strengthened glass like Corning's?

And if I do use it, are they easy to remove? For future sales etc.

Thanks.

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Alot of people don't, i usually do.

in my experiences there are still minor scratches that will appear if you go without, just from slipping back and forth in your pocket (grits of sand or keys will cause minor scratches)

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Hate screen protectors. If you have scratched previous screen on phones, I would say yes. I never have had a problem and not going to use a protector now.

4. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

I don't see the point in using a screen protector. The iPhone is designed to be both beautiful and functional. Along the course of normal usage, there are of course going to be minor scratches on your display. I've owned my iPhone 6 since launch and it is still beautiful, and I'm not ruining the experience by degrading the quality of my display (or rather the way I view it).

5. Kapybarus macrumors member

Why is glass protector better? It is more durable or could cover bigger part of iphone 6 curved screen?

6. JAG21979 macrumors member

I always use tempered glass screen protectors, and they have saved me from having a cracked screen. I'm not sure if the iphone screen is Gorilla Glass, but even those aren't shatter proof. I only buy the one's that protect the entire screen, some of them don't go all the way to the edges. I use icarez, because they are easy to install and simply work. I've never had sensitivity issues or degraded screen quality. You can simply peel them off if you get rid of your phone. BTW, my phone is still beautiful and functional despite using a case and screen protector. My experience has been great and I don't feel like I'm ruining my experience, just protecting my investment. Put it on there, if you don't like it, peel it off.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I am using a screen protector for the first time ever on my iPhone 6 Plus. On my last phone, a HTC One (M7), I wore out an area of the oleophobic coating and it looked bad. I wanted to avoid that and scratches.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

and how do you know it save you from a cracked screen. Most cracked screen are due to impact on the side of the phone. You screen protector does not even cover the curved edge of the screen. Either way it would not stop your screen from cracking.

9. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

but a dead on face impact will sacrifice the screen protector before the screen, that is how.

10. JAG21979 macrumors member

Don't quote what you don't know to be a 100% fact. I have never had a cracked or shattered screen. I can only attribute that to having and using a tempered glass screen protector. MY experience may not be everyone else's. Without recording the times I've dropped my phone in slow motion, I don't know if it's ever impacted the side of my phone. If I have, the screen protector and case saved me.

11. 617aircav Suspended

The fall can land in so many positions, obviously it won't protect from every single position.

12. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I wouldn't bother.

Just get a nice sleeve to keep in your pocket so keys etc don't scratch it.

13. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

I got one. I haven't had good luck with tempered glass protectors (got a cheap one for my Note 3 and it spidered during an airplane flight) --- but figured I'd go all the way with protecting my 6+ because I want to keep it for 2+ years so I got a Zagg tempered glass protector - the rep at the mall installed it - $42 after taxes. After a week of usage - I'm very happy with it. Only negative? It reflects light more than the base glass but I figure every day of use I get out of it, it's less wear and tear on the glass behind it. It feels identical to the glass behind it.

14. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have always used one on my phones. Not sure if it has ever saved my screen from cracking or shattering, but I can say that my phones have hit the ground hard and so far no damage to the actual phone screen.

Only minor scratches to the glass screen protector which can always be replaced cheaper than the actual phone screen. And the feel of the glass protector is the same or close to the same as actual screen.

15. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I had one on my 5s (Invisible Shield brand) and really enjoyed it. I put one on my 6 the day I bought it but when I shattered that and the screen underneath I decided it wasn't worth the extra money to send and wait for a replacement. Been using the replacement 6 for over a month now and I love the feel of the naked screen.

16. nas2344 macrumors member

17. barbarahathcock macrumors newbie

I prefer to use protectors. The screen gets a lot of scratches even during regular use. Its better to use screen protectors.

18. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

The glass used in these devices is very hard - for example, I've applied my full weight behind my pocket knife and only barely been able to produce marks to an iPod's display.

On the other hand, "hard" means "brittle", and it doesn't take much of a blow to the edges to spiderweb the whole thing into a network of cracks. It's also quite thin; I can take it between thumb and forefinger and crack it just by squeezing.

I would use a protector simply so that if the glass ever does crack, it's as cleanly as possible and you keep as much glass in place as you can (even shattered, the touch sensitivity works quite well). Scratch protection is a bonus.

If, on the other hand, you don't care about resale value or longevity, you may find you enjoy the look and feel of the phone more if you leave the protector off. Protectors tend to gather scratches at a much faster rate than the actual display, and soon stop looking pretty - though they're relatively easy to replace!

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Still no proof what so ever that these screen protectors do more than prevent scratches. You people choose to blindly believe while I prefer facts.

I have never used one and have never had a broken screen. Ever.

20. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Another layer of glass over the top of your iphone screen would by chance more likely to break the screen more than your delicate fingers.

Get an apple case with on the table protection and put your phone in pocket designated just for your phone.

21. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I've always had screen protectors on all my iPhones. This time around I have the Plus and I'm going without. Due to the curved glass, I have yet to see a screen protector for the 6 series that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. I had a super thin glass one on for awhile but pulled it off and am going with a case but no protector. I use the case mainly for better grip.

22. Bomb Bloke, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

I wouldn't suggest that they help prevent cracking - only good padding around the edges will help much there.

But they do help keep shattered glass in place. If a screen without a protector breaks, the first thing you want to do is put one on.

The 4 and 4S has no protection around the edges of the glass at all. This likely accounts for why I've replaced more screens on those than any other device.

Edit:

This article makes for interesting reading. It mentions that Gorilla Glass is created by creating a pressurised seal around regular glass, which helps prevent it from scratching and from cracking.

Should that seal become scratched, the pressure is lessoned at that point - the glass becomes more likely to crack there.

For such displays, a screen protector could indeed help prevent cracks!

It's rumoured that the iPhone 6 uses a form of Gorilla Glass, but I'm not certain that anyone knows for sure - Apple seems to be keeping it under wraps.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It is good to know that the screen protector will keep the broken screen glass in place.

24. coops macrumors regular

For peace of mind about minor and major scratches, i think it's very useful.

i now have my wife's 5s which has a very nice Element Ronin case on it - the old plastic protector looked shabby, so it now has a very nice glass protector... 2 very good things about the glass versus a plastic protector :-

1. It's thicker - this turns out to be rather useful. With a thinner plastic protector there is a very slight edge or difference in height you can feel when you swip near the phone edge.. With a thicker protector it has made the edge from phone to case much smoother.

2. Glass feels better than plastic.

My wife's new 6 has a blue leather apple case ( lovely ) and would also be better off with a glass protector rather than the plastic one i had put on....

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a zagg tempered glass, and I cannot believe how crystal clear this is. I had a ghost armor on there and the touch was slightly spongy or soft if that makes sense. The plastic protective covering had a slight almost unnoticeable give. Putting on the Zagg glass, I couldn't believe how much better it looked at felt. Plus it better protects my IP6+