Should I wait before buying an apple display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by big_malk, Aug 18, 2007.

1. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I have always wanted apple displays, and was thinking of buying a couple in a week or so when I get my student bursary. But since apple will be upgrading all their displays soon to LED backlights, is it worth waiting?

According to steve when they upgrade them "depends on how fast the LCD industry can transition to LED backlighting for larger displays". Does anybody have any idea how the industry is going with this transition?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Please no offense, but… you're getting a student bursary and you want to by a couple of ACDs? :eek: ;) One would be stretching it…

The bursary money would be better spent elsewhere display wise…

But thats just my opinion. :p

3. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I've got a lovely mac pro with two 20" formac displays, I know these are good displays, but I've never really liked the look of them. I thought I could sell these and get apple displays instead, so it wouldnt really cost me that much at the end of the day :)

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Anyone else feel that students shouldn't be wasting their bursary awards on computer displays, especially when you have 2 already. :rolleyes:

5. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm doing a multimedia course and I'd like to be self employed in that industry when I'm finished it. I'll need a good computer to do that, so what better to spend my money on? Copious amounts of alcohol?

6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

"A good computer" is very different than buying 2 ACD's. In fact, if you really want the best bang for your buck, DO NOT get an ACD, much less two.

Look into the other monitors that are often better (inputs, performance, etc.) for the price (Dell, Samsung, LG, etc.).

ACDs are extremely overpriced and extremely dated. Apple should be shot for not releasing updates within the past 78 years...

7. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I'm about to buy an ACD and have the same question as you, but I've not read anything around the net about a possible update to the existing displays. iPods maybe but ACD not so sure. I'll be ordering a new ACD in the next few days.

8. dieselmac macrumors newbie

You can get a much higher quality and well i think classy, display from HP for half the price. i bought one out of rage and have never regretted it. i use it for web design and graphics. Not to mention its wicked cool to watch movies on. The ACDs are nice but the screens are just not as good quality as well most other displays i have seen to be honest. In summary, save the money and buy something like a HP w2207 or so. :apple:

9. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

in answer to your question...no dont buy them, they are seriously over priced for what they are as said above.

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I dont see a display update till WWDC next year personally. LED displays for the ACD sizes are hard to come by meaning Apple would need a lot of time to get enough units.

11. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

I think a little research will set you down the right path.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD#IPS

All Apple displays are S-IPS displays, btw. I think you'll find that for S-IPS displays, the ACDs are competitively priced, though they do lack some of the inputs some people find important.

I'd also suggest reading this review of the ACDs in relation to color reproduction.

12. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

I also believe they're very expensive right now. I think we'll see higher density displays before LED backlights in the ACDs.

13. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Eizo doesn't use IPS in all their displays, yet they are regarded as some of the best in the market. Apple isn't even using a current IPS panel.

MVA and PVA are right there with IPS these days. Especially considering the displays are using newer panels unlike Apples old S-IPS panel. Not to mention the ghosting, pink cast, etc etc.

You are also limited to a single digital DVI connection. Whereas most displays have 2-3 inputs.

14. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

It's like I said, research, it's amazing what you'll learn. Mine may be as dated and as out of touch as people seem to feel the ACDs are. :) Before I bought mine, I read reviews and comments mainly from digital photography sites as color accuracy is paramount to those guys and gals. Of the displays that people seemed happiest with, I found the ACDs to be the choice for me. I also get a hefty discount through my employer. A luxury other may not have.

I also know the Eizo's don't come cheap their ColorScan 24" comes in at about $5000, but color reproduction is ungodly wonderful. They're "lesser" model the FlexScan 24" is almost twice as much as the 23" ACD.

I think if the OP wants a second opinion, I'd try digital filmmaking or photography sites like DVinfo.net or the forums at Luminous Landscape.

I'll admit that I had hesitations before I bought my 23", but I have them no more. I bought my 23" about a month ago and have no ghosting, no pink casting, though I've read about folks who do. I'm completely satisfied with mine. It reproduces colors faithfully and accurately and images are crisp and clear.

On the other hand, OP, copious amounts of hooch is very appealing.

15. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I researched for months before picking up 2 24" LG displays. They blow my 23" ACD out of the water. hardforum.com is also a good place to research displays as well.

16. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

I love LGs displays. Although it's not a computer monitor, my LG HDTVs picture is just so much better than its competition of similar price. Any LG monitor that I have seen on display/round friends looks fantastic. Best of all, they aren't overly expensive either.

17. cube macrumors G5

For 500€ you can get the new 24" Iiyama Prolite B2403WS, which is TN and does not have the wide gamut as some new alternatives, but is very precise.

Test

18. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

I've noticed that you and I tend to see eye to eye on other aspect of Apple's hardware, especially the state of the Mac Pros, so I'd like to take a look at these to keep on my radar. What model did you buy, I'd like to follow the line.

Thanks.

19. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The LG L246W, there are two models. One is sold retail and the other online only. My version is the retail. It is now $549.99 at Best Buy (it was a few days ago at least).

I got the 2 for a steal though... but I love them regardless. They look fantastic. They won't match my Mac Pro, but meh. I would rather pay less and have a more functional and better looking display rather than going the aesthetics.

The LGs also come with a 3yr warranty standard.

20. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

21. cube macrumors G5

Samsung said that it 2Q it would begin producing a 24" LED-backlit LCD panel.
    The XL30 is also coming.

22. cube macrumors G5

For the 30" you need a Dell computer for full control. It sucks.

23. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

???

You just need a modern dvi card, not exactly cutting edge tech.

24. cube macrumors G5

No, the OSD only allows extremely simple control, and the rest you have to do through Dell's software, which only runs on their computers.

25. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Which is fine for the vast majority of people.

"I want to buy an ACD so that i can browse online and write my thesis"

:rolleyes:

Saying that, 30" may be a tad too large for a student.