Should I wait for 2017 MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrtemp, May 5, 2017.

  1. mrtemp macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2016
    #1
    I need a new MacBook Pro within the next month or two. Should I wait for the 2017 model?
     
  2. MrGuder macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2012
    #2
    How can we possibly answer that question for you?
     
  3. alex00100 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2011
    Location:
    Moscow, Russia
    #3
    It's unlikely it will be out till October/november at the earliest.
    Life is short, get it now.
     
  4. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

    Mr. Dee

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2003
    Location:
    Jamaica
    #4
    If you need a new MacBook Pro next month, then the current 2016 model is your only option. Apple likely won't upgrade the MacBook Pro until October/November as mentioned. If they do update any of the Macs between now and fall, it will likely be the 12 inch MacBook.
     
  5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

    dwfaust

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    I am here => [•]
    #5
    Buy what you need when you need it. If you need a computer now, then now is the best time to buy. Nothing has been announced, so there's really nothing to wait for... if you are waiting for the next, best computer available, you will always be waiting... something new, something better is always just around the next corner... so again, the best advice is to buy what you need when you need it.

    And if you don't need it now, there's no reason to buy now.
     
  6. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

    iSheep5S

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2013
    Location:
    Scotland
    #6
    With the slow release rates I'd say 2018 or beyond. Get it now.
     
  7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #7
    OP wrote:
    "I need a new MacBook Pro within the next month or two. Should I wait for the 2017 model?"

    If there is to be a "2017" MacBook Pro, we'll probably see it in October or November.

    How does this fit into your plans?
     
  8. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

    jackoatmon

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2011
    #8
    it's not possible to give recommendations without knowing the use case

    it's like, guys should i buy a pair of size 32 pants with 28" leg seam in blue?

    like i dunno man what size is your waste and what colour is your shirt?
     
  9. Matt Leaf macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2012
    #9
    The way I see it, anyone content with 2016 models specs might as well pick up a 2015 model. If you're not happy with the specs I'd wait, because currently the 2016 isn't a huge improvement over the 2015. Once it hits 32gb and Kaby Lake that gap will be increased significantly and then it'll be a no-brainer to grab the 2017/2018.
     
  10. UL2RA macrumors 6502a

    UL2RA

    Joined:
    May 7, 2017
  11. alpi123 macrumors regular

    alpi123

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2014
    #11
    How do you guys know that the next update is coming in fall? Why not in June? Even if it's only like cpu upgrade, or the possibility to use 32gb ram
     
  12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #13
    Unless weight and size, P3 colour gamut, far better graphics options, better speakers, a 2TB storage option and USBC/TB3 are important to you , in which case the 2016 is a massive step up. Not everything is about CPU and masses of RAM you know.
     
  13. fokmik macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2016
    Location:
    USA
    #14
    yes wait for the kaby lake, 4k codec will save a lot of battery, probably price cut, probably no issue at all after the 1st gen. Apple will probably apply the same marketing decision,like they did with the 2nd gen macbook. They left some empty spaces inside to fill with more battery. So second gen MBP will probably get you 10h without any problems with light usage
     
  14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #15
    There won't be a new MBP in that time frame so the answer to your question is no there is nothing to wait for.
     
  15. Eason85 macrumors member

    Eason85

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2017
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #16
    Intel accidentally leaked a ULV quad-core multi-threaded CPU on gfxbench a few days ago. Extremely promising for laptops like Apple's 13-inch notebook. However, I would be shocked if that chip made it in time for september (for apple, I'm sure PC notebooks will be using it by then) --more likely 2018 for macbooks.
     
  16. muratura macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2017
    #17
    I would flip a coin. I'll help you and choose the side: tails :D

    In other news, the Kaby refresh is going to be minor in performance. Maybe battery life is improved as well as a small price cut. The kinks and problems of the 1st gen will be fixed in a higher percentage as well.
    If you really need it now buy it, otherwise wait
     
  17. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

    jackoatmon

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2011
    #18

    supply chain rumours and intel's product release cycles

    i mean usually – it just doesn't seem like a chip is going to come out that soon that could improve upon what's been done so far

    the current machine is just literally the top of the line, so the line has to go up before they can make the guts better
     
  18. Rina11 macrumors member

    Rina11

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2012
    Location:
    Maryland
  19. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

    ZapNZs

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2017
    #20
    The 2017 model MacBook Pro might not be released until 2019. When it is released in 2019, Apple may decide to remove the screen, speakers, keyboard, trackpad, and power supply to give it ultra portability, which might not meet your needs.

    Both the 2015 and 2016 MacBook Pros are outstanding computers, and there is quite a lot of good pricing to go around currently...
     
  20. mrtemp thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2016
  21. MrGuder macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2012
    #22
    This news article today just brought 10,000 more views to the upcoming live WWDC feed on June 5th lol...great that means video will be buffering big time....
     
  22. Wonder Warthog macrumors newbie

    Wonder Warthog

    Joined:
    May 16, 2017
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #23
    "I need a new Mac right now, should I wait for a rumoured model nobody knows whether it's even a thing?"

    Erm, really? You ask us that?

    ……………………………………..________
    ………………………………,.-‘”……………….“~.,
    ………………………..,.-“……………………………..”-.,
    …………………….,/………………………………………..”:,
    …………………,?………………………………………………\,
    ………………./…………………………………………………..,}
    ……………../………………………………………………,:`^`..}
    ……………/……………………………………………,:”………/
    …………..?…..__…………………………………..:`………../
    …………./__.(…..”~-,_…………………………,:`………./
    ………../(_….”~,_……..”~,_………………..,:`…….._/
    ……….{.._$;_……”=,_…….”-,_…….,.-~-,},.~”;/….}
    ………..((…..*~_…….”=-._……”;,,./`…./”…………../
    …,,,___.\`~,……”~.,………………..`…..}…………../
    …………(….`=-,,…….`……………………(……;_,,-”
    …………/.`~,……`-………………………….\……/\
    ………….\`~.*-,……………………………….|,./…..\,__
    ,,_……….}.>-._\……………………………..|…………..`=~-,
    …..`=~-,_\_……`\,……………………………\
    ……………….`=~-,,.\,………………………….\
    …………………………..`:,,………………………`\…………..__
    ……………………………….`=-,……………….,%`>–==“
    …………………………………._\……….._,-%…….`\
    ……………………………..,<`.._|_,-&“…………….`
     
  23. robvas macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #24
    Yes. If you needed it now you wouldn't ask you'd just go buy it. So you can obviously wait.
     
  24. Adergaard macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2012
    #25
    Given the news today, I think HELL YES is the most appropriate answer to the title question.
     

Share This Page