Should I wait for a new model to come out or get macbook pro now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crazee4socer8, Dec 6, 2010.

1. crazee4socer8 macrumors newbie

i am debating on whether i want to buy a macbook pro now or wait until the new models come out. anyone know when the new models come out?

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

3. sicembears macrumors newbie

I'm struggling with the same thing. I have a 2 1/2 year old macbook pro that I want to replace I want one so bad as my bday gift to myself but I'm going to hold off till April. It's too close to April. If the announcement doesn't come out in April I'm going to kick myself or if they say "for this summer".

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are already many many threads about this. NO ONE KNOWS outside Apple. People are guessing anywhere from January to July. A search will show many of these threads and people's reasonings behind their guesses.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just do a search, there's hundreds of threads like yours, i.e., should I buy now or wait...

You need one now, buy now, if you can wait 3 to 6 months, then wait.

6. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Same old answer.

Get it NOW if you need a laptop now to do whatever it is you want to do with a laptop. If not, anytime you're over half way thru the update cycle (and we currently are), it's always good to wait. UNLESS you need it, like I said.

You can always buy now, then sell it when the new ones come out, and be prepared to throw in $300 give or take to get the new one.

8. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i say 10:15 A.M. PST.

:p

9. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Just find a older one 2008-2009 with apple care and save a few dollars for now.:apple:

10. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

or just keep waiting "for ever" GO AND BUY IT NOW and start having fan NOW.
    it always new model coming out in the futer

11. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Definitely wait it out if you don't need the laptop at the moment...

Unless your laptop died yesterday and you need one today, I would at least wait it out till jan/feb to see if news come out regarding potential new and improved mbp.

Internet has definitely killed the suspense. IF mbp is coming out in april, we should start seeing some photos from china factory -- or some kind of leak -- around jan/feb.

I am definitely hoping for slimmer/faster/longer lasting battery/better resolution mbp 13!!!!!!!!!

12. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

The one thing that keeps me from buying now is the new light peak feature... and if they remove the optical drive from the MBP, maybe we'll finally be able to buy a fast blu-ray drive for the Mac!!!

13. gorjan macrumors 6502

I don't think we'll see light peak before 2012 at the earliest, so no reason to wait there.

As for blue-ray? You can buy a fast blu-ray drive now. Why should you wait until they remove (?!?) the optical drive?

Internet didn't kill anything, Apple's popularity did.. :p

14. LinkMx macrumors member

I was going to wait for a refresh to buy the 13" MBP, but I ended up buying the 15" because there was a sale and it was 25% off.

15. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Even though I can say it's true for all product nowdays, I cannot disagree w/ you on apple's popularity :)

Even though I am dying for new refresh, I would also have jumped on 25% off. 15 mbp w/ high res w/ 25% off would have done the trick.

16. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Mind if I ask from where did you manage to get a 25% off discount? :confused:

17. smitzzz24 macrumors member

Ditto...I would buy now if I found 25% off!

18. jsilas macrumors regular

I've been facing this decision, and I've made the decision to buy now. The rumored updates to the MBP lineup aren't sufficient to make me wait, nor am I likely to upgrade until the following revision unless there's something totally unexpected that I can't live without.

I'm ordering my new 17" tonight if my schedule allows.

19. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

I tend to think along these lines. Its how tech works.

20. LinkMx macrumors member

I don't live in the US, it was a sale on a department store.

21. crazee4socer8 thread starter macrumors newbie

what kind of new "features" would be on the mbp update??

22. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

23. SubaruNation555, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Ask yourself:

Do I need a computer now?
    If you do, then get one now knowing you have an awesome machine that will serve you for years to come. You can always get more RAM and an SSD to liven things up later on.

If I get one now, will I will be disappointed when the latest and greatest comes out in Feb/March/April?
    If so, then wait it out until spring and get the newest refresh.

I, for one need a replacement for my 2007 MBP and will be getting a 13" MBP tomorrow. Will I feel a bit jealous when the new models come out in the spring, sure, but that's just the nature of technology.

24. crazee4socer8 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have been waiting for about a year and a half for my mb to die on me. i think i might jus wait for the new ones to come out, unless something happens between now and then to my mb that i have right now.

now the question is the 13" or the 15"?? i am a college student who does a little movie editing and some music making on the side, but nothing too extensive. im not a gamer, just looking for something that can get the job done fast and thorough.

25. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

They may well be worth it for the Air and 13" models as the Sandy Bridge updates plus Intel and Nvidias settlement may very well put us back on track with graphics, so we will get the i5/ i7's in the smaller laptops plus decent graphics. As for a 17", like my 15 it makes no odds as you get a discrete card anyway and i5/ i7.

To the OP: It's up to you really, I am VERY tempted by the new 11" Air and would consider swapping my MB Pro for it BUT it's stupid for me to do so as my current model fulfils all my requirements, I get decent power, upgradability, and a good res screen as I had the normal res before and just found it too low.
    So I will just resist temptation and get 8GB of Ram and an Intel G3 SSD next year.
    The 13" MB Pro is a potent machine as it has good size but it really needs an i5 offered as the top end build at least. Core2duo is a very good CPU but it's a tad old now. It's fine for the Air's but I think for the 13" models it's time to move on. But it all depends on the graphics.
    It's a MUCH better trade off to have an Intel Core2duo CPU at a decent speed and an Nvidia 320 GPU.