Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fsumom

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
I needed a new computer badly as my desktop was over 6 years old and so slow. I knew that I wouldn't personally benefit from any upgrades and honestly do not regret my decision to purchase a mid 2010 MBP. I love it.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
with waiting. many people tend to look at the upgrades and the features that "might" appear. they overlook that the product itself may be faulty and apple may have made a mistake. for example take the iphone 4- the antenna thingy was horrible and still a lot of people became angry. they blamed apple, but whos fault is it:
apple's for making a faulty product or the consumers for not being able to contain their urges and their desperate need to spend money? its both technically

what i mean is even though the release may be in 3-6 months, you would have to wait a couple more months for reviews form engadget or anandtech to be posted so a further analysis can be shown to see if its worth while.

also: once that happens you have an outdated product so...

another thing- the prices may or may not rise, so think of all things!
personally i would say go for it, cuz tech is gonna keep changing. if you have the heart to wait (i dont :)) but if you have the heart to wait- wait cuz technically it would be better, but still buying now is not a bad idea!

macintoshgood

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
i use my machines for heavy video editing, and my current MBP is not cutting it, (four years old) and i am thus very much on the fence about the buy now/buy later issue.

here's what the current MBP buyer's guide on MacRumors says - maybe someone can help me decipher this a little bit:

"The 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro received a new build-to-order option for a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor on October 20th, 2010. The new option does not constitute a full update to the MacBook Pro line, but does suggest that a more substantial update to the full MacBook Pro lineup is not imminent."

A more substantial update to the line is not imminent - is this to say that whatever is coming will be relatively insignificant? and yet it says:

Don't Buy - Updates Soon.*

- A little confused - answers much appreciated.

Nein01

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
Germany
here's what the current MBP buyer's guide on MacRumors says - maybe someone can help me decipher this a little bit:

"The 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro received a new build-to-order option for a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor on October 20th, 2010. The new option does not constitute a full update to the MacBook Pro line, but does suggest that a more substantial update to the full MacBook Pro lineup is not imminent."

A more substantial update to the line is not imminent - is this to say that whatever is coming will be relatively insignificant? and yet it says:

Don't Buy - Updates Soon.*

- A little confused - answers much appreciated.

what is means/implies is that since only the 17" got a tiny upgrade recently rather than the whole MBP lineup, then we aren't likely to see a major upgrade right away or "on schedule", but when we DO see an upgrade, it will likely be substantial. the added 2.8ghz option to the 17" is just a way to tide us waiters over until the real update happens.

hope that makes sense.

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
The answer is easy.. APPLE UPDATED MACBOOK PRO ON OCTOBER WITH A RIDICULOUS UPDATE, so if the average days for updates are 208, 208/30 = 7 months, so october + 7 months = may. But maybe they will update it earlier, maybe in april.

They updated only the proccessor because there isn't any other nvidia gpus with the same or less TDP with more preformance, so forget the new 400 series because all the gpus that have more performnce they also have more power consumpction. Fermi is too bad in TDp

Their limit for tdp in proccesors are 35watts - With that tdp there was a new porccesor, the i7 640m, so the put it into the macbook pro.

So there won´t be a new mac until the new sandy brige and the nvidia 500m series do so.

Euki

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
If you're interested in the 13", wait. If you want the 15" or 17", just do it now. They're amazing machines just as they are now. You won't regret it.

planetwave2000

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2010
Rye, NY
I'm struggling with the same thing. I have a 2 1/2 year old macbook pro that I want to replace I want one so bad as my bday gift to myself but I'm going to hold off till April. It's too close to April. If the announcement doesn't come out in April I'm going to kick myself or if they say "for this summer".

I just recently replaced and sold all my Apple/Mac computers after 4 years of use. I had the 2006 MBP 15 inch (only used when away from home) and 17 inch white Imac, let me tell you they both satisfied my computing needs. I mainly use my systems on Adobe Photoshop (I'm a photographer) and iPhoto slideshow for clients. I had my moneys worth on them after 4 years of service.

Now, I have the 27in Imac i5 & MBP 15in i5 and I recently bought my wife the new Macbook Air 11inch. This should be a nice setup for my photography and should service my needs for many years to come. Hopefully, 5years or more.:apple:

Meric

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
wait or regret!

or buy one now...sell it when the new comes out...

or buy used / refurbished now... use for couple of months..sell it at the same price or 50-100 bucks less... get the new one!

Yin

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
The answer is easy.. APPLE UPDATED MACBOOK PRO ON OCTOBER WITH A RIDICULOUS UPDATE, so if the average days for updates are 208, 208/30 = 7 months, so october + 7 months = may. But maybe they will update it earlier, maybe in april.

They updated only the proccessor because there isn't any other nvidia gpus with the same or less TDP with more preformance, so forget the new 400 series because all the gpus that have more performnce they also have more power consumpction. Fermi is too bad in TDp

Their limit for tdp in proccesors are 35watts - With that tdp there was a new porccesor, the i7 640m, so the put it into the macbook pro.

So there won´t be a new mac until the new sandy brige and the nvidia 500m series do so.

offering slightly more options cannot be called an upgrade...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.