Should I wait for Core i3/5/7? (MBP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ShocK x10, Sep 18, 2009.

1. ShocK x10 macrumors newbie

LongToimeReader, FirstToimePoster.. FoLoife ;)

Heres the thing- It's my 16th birthday soon, and I'd like a lappy - specifically a MacBook Pro. Ive just been reading up and there are rumours that core iN will be released Q4 09 and there may be a hardware upgrade.

The model I am likely to go for is the 13" with 2.53GHz (and the 4GB Mem, 250GB HDD etc.. ) and possibly putting a SSD in it.

Now I'd like to know:
    1) When is this hardware update likely to happen?
    2) Is core iN worth the wait over C2D?

Currently I have a custom build with C2D e6850@3.00GHz / 4GB DDR2 and it runs everything fine. (ie crysis on full, crysiswarhead on second-full, 3dsmax etc) but i no longer use this for gaming. All I currently do on my PC is MSN, listen to music, surf the web. Sometimes I do photoshop or dreamweaver work.. or C++/VC#.

The macbook will really just be so I dont have to sit in a room so far from everyone, and so i can take it with me. I dont use demanding programs on a day to day, but when i run them, they HAVE to run. And well - no lagging.. you get me, im a prosumer ;)

Also Im midway through my GCSEs, going to AS/A2 next year.. currently doing Graphical D&T and possibly the same for A Level, maybe Media Studies (movies and stuff me thinks) so Id be looking for adobe indesign and photoshop to work well, as well as maybe final cut or something? Just a decent video editing program for possible media study or more than likely, skate videos :cool:

So would a Core iN (i3 / i5 / i7) waiting till it releases be much of a benefit over a 2.53C2D? My current 3.0C2D Gaming machine runs beautifully.. and im finally growing up (ie not wanting THE BEST.. only the best :rolleyes:)

What benefits is Core iN likely to have over the C2D and would it be worth the wait of possibly 4 or 5 months ?!!

--Thanks a lot :apple:

[edit] Just realised that Intel want the new chips to have their IGP (GMA HD) instead of nVIDIA solution.. this sucks ass so would this be a plus for buying now?? [/edit]

2. L0s7man macrumors 6502

I think it is worth the wait. Google up HP Envy 15 -> that's what new MBP should be. 2xSSD, awesome GPU, Core i7 and up to 16GB of RAM; and magnesium chasis with aluminum coating; and an inch thick - this is the first laptop that I could say has a comparable build quality to MBP.

The BIG problem is - you never know with Apple. If they wanted they could stray ahead of the competition. Didn't Intel made a special CPU for MBA? I wouldn't be surprised if Steve-o announced any day now that Core i7, USB 3.0, ATI 4830 (4860; 40nm GPU any way) MBP was on the way. BUT, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept selling the same hardware for another year...

They could stay with NVidia, but it seems to me that ATI is kicking ass in the mobile market. Open CL should work on ATI all the same - it's an open standard any way and (for you that don't know) Apple didn't invent it. They just make a good implementation for OS X.

My deadline is October. I NEED to buy a laptop in October (mid October; maybe late October, but OCTOBER nevertheless).

I work on Linux; I really like Mac OS, but I can live with Linux all the same, so I don't care that much.

Bottom line... don't know; I don't think the current hardware is worth the money. It was a year ago. But there was no matte screen a year ago. I would have bought it then, I won't buy it now.

If you're not playing games or doing serious video editing, you shouldn't care.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1. No one knows. Apple could simply make the next update (Febuary) a faster CPU update. And make an October event when they plan to release the new i7/i5s. (i3 is entry level and I doubt Apple will use them)

2. Yes it is worth it. Over 25% performance increase in an equally clocked chip.

4. L0s7man macrumors 6502

jav6454: you meen this October? Right?

Apple, if you're reading this. Do the right thing for once. Give us new and fancy stuff.

One more thing - Macrumors keep track of when the last update was. But you have to bear in mind that last update was actually downgrade ;-) Built-in battery vs removable; it's different, but it's not an update. And that's pretty much the extent of the changes (R.I.P ExpressCard). My point is, there haven't been a real update since unibody was introduced!

Also, seriously folks, you could find some space for 2xSSD in MBP 17". It's damn HUGE. 2x1.8" SSDs are tiny. Son has it in a 13" laptop. Apple could at least get this in 17". It's not essential, but it would have been nice to have.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Save that for your desktop and save some money on this Macbook purchase. Go to Apple's refurb store and browse around.

6. ShocK x10 thread starter macrumors newbie

The only game I would consider playing is COD4, but its unlikely.. I have two systems for gaming (Xbox / PC) so really the MBP would just be there for portability [and stylzz, i likes my stylzz - though if i have to, i go for functionality over style, hence my lack of iStuff ^^]

Now Im thinking ill just get the 13 for my birthday and hope they dont release within a month or two lol.. though if they did.. so what? its a mac. its all good.
    Im just a typical windows power user - its all in the spec for me but im trying to let go of that. 6Hr battery life on the MBP is great anyway as ATM i'd only use it for what.. two lessons a day if that.. so thats probably 6 hours of use on a school day and 4 hours of use on a weekend [weather dependent but mah]

So going for the current gen.. all the media work should be fine.. Heck apparently they use Windows Movie Maker for A Level Media where I am so with iMovie or Final Cut I should be well advanced ^^

How well would final cut run? Not some serious editing.. just casual editing of coursework and skate footage.. not too bad. Photoshop CS3 should be fine as it's CPU based and runs good on a 2x2.0GHz windows lappy.
    CS4 im not so sure about.. anyone clarify? I know its GPU supporting now so that could change things.

But really, like you said I shouldnt care.. im just being that picky windows / tech head that wants the fastest affordable ^^

Final question, i hope:
    Which MBP 13? I'd like it to last 3 years atleast :rolleyes:
    2.26 GHz + 2GB RAM + 160GB HDD = £899
    2.53 GHz + 4GB RAM + 250GB HDD = £1149

Now remember that: I will likely get an SSD some time, sooner if i get the cheaper model but it shouldnt matter too much. I am capable of upgrading RAM and HDD on a desktop so laptop shouldnt be too hard.
    I live on an island, we are VAT free but with import costs.. my friends have said that they got MB for 650 instead of 750.. so i would assume the prices would be 100 - 150 less than on apple store. (This is from an apple qualified store btw)

und go. :)

edit-- SSD or 7200RPM HDD speedwise ?? I know SSD is better for portability ;) --edit

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Id go for the 2.26 and you can add more ram yourself later. Same goes for the hard drive if you need a bigger one

8. alangsam macrumors newbie

its the HDD

I have an early 2009 2.4 13 Aluminum macbook with 6GB memory 320GB 7200 rpm drive and Snow Leopard - it runs very well.
    The number 1 performance improver is not waiting for a new CPU its moving to a SSD. the latest performance numbers are astounding.

For the record apple has been on the front end of the performance curve with intel offering the latest CPUs ahead of the competition.

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I think you've got that backwards. In most consumer level tasks, an SSD with a slower CPU will be worlds faster than an HD with a faster CPU.

Don't underestimate the almighty SSD :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW91jwhYZbE

10. L0s7man macrumors 6502

Yup, I second this opinion. The most important thing in daily life is not read/write speed, but random access time! Thats what gives a noticeable difference. It makes your system incredibly snappy (that's what Intel focused on and that's why their SSDs rock). You click, you get an answer. There is a big big difference between a second and a quarter of a second. You simply feel it.

11. ShocK x10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Das Final Verdikt

From this ive gathered:
    2.26 for price
    + upgrade to 4GB
    + buy an SSD
    -intel or other? Can you give me a model numer or something? :)
    -would I be better getting a 60 / 128 / 256 GB SSD ? Im assuming that if I want fast read/write for lower relative cost, i would have to go with a 60GB as a 128 or even 256 would cost worlds more?​

and this outweighs a 2.53 with a 250GB@5400rpm and 4gb ram :p

Also I see alangsam, you have 6GB RAM, im assuming this is DDR2.. does anyone do 2x3GB DDR3 sticks for mobile use?

And then im assuming that Time Capsule or w/e it is can backup / store for MacOSX and also act as a NAS for BOTH Mac and Windows?

12. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

If you are at all thinking of doing video editing, then you need a HDD not SSD. Video editing eats up the gigs like nothing, and you will need all the space you can get.

Replacing the HD on MB / MPB is a doddle. Official apple instructions at

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MBPRO_13inch_Mid2009_Hard_Drive_DIY.pdf

but there are better guides with pics all over the net.

I got my macbook with the smallest HD possible then put in a 500gig myself. It's almost full already.

A laptop chained to an external FW drive is a sad beast (I have about 4TB of external drives) but you'll need one anyway, probably two, one for Time Machine, and one for archiving your video editing. Get the time Machine one straightaway, and the second one later when you start running out of room.

EDIT: yes you can use a Time Capsule as a NAS and as a Time Machine store, (I have two of them, one at home and one at work) but you can't use it as a scratch disk for videoediting. If you want to save money, any old USB external will do for Time Machine, and for archiving old video projects.

13. iMacmatician macrumors 601

So a CPU increase, RAM increase (for some models), HDD increase, and a battery life increase is an overall "downgrade"?

The majority of updates are like this. Before the unibody you might as well say the last "real" update was in June 2007.