Should I wait for G5 Powerbooks?

JonTheRvelator

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
58
0
I've already ordered a G4 but its taking awhile to ship to me.

should I hold off and wait for the new G5 to come out?
 

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
4,267
85
If you want a PowerBook, I'd say go ahead and get it now. The next update is likely several months away, and may not even be a G5 anyway.
 

JonTheRvelator

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
58
0
Chaszmyr said:
If you want a PowerBook, I'd say go ahead and get it now. The next update is likely several months away, and may not even be a G5 anyway.
like they might not change much in it?
 

JonTheRvelator

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
58
0
does it take forever to ship from the apple online store?

its almost been a week since I made my order and nothing has changed.
 

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
1,216
0
Netherlands
JonTheRvelator said:
does it take forever to ship from the apple online store?

its almost been a week since I made my order and nothing has changed.

If you bought a none standard powerbook (eg bigger harddrive extra RAM) it can take up to a week or even more for them to build it (depending on how busy it is).

You could wait for a G5, but that could be months still. Plus I wouldn't want a Rev. A of "the mother of all thermal challenges" :p Sounds like a portable grill to me!
 

JonTheRvelator

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
58
0
mfacey said:
If you bought a none standard powerbook (eg bigger harddrive extra RAM) it can take up to a week or even more for them to build it (depending on how busy it is).

You could wait for a G5, but that could be months still. Plus I wouldn't want a Rev. A of "the mother of all thermal challenges" :p Sounds like a portable grill to me!
so its pointless to wait then.

thats cool.

I just ordered the G4 15" with the 100gb hard drive and 128mb of RAM. Thats all I moded on the system. I ordered it on 04.19.05, they said it would ship by 04.22.05 and no it says on or before 04.28.05. So I don't know whats going on.
 

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
810
0
JonTheRvelator said:
so its pointless to wait then.

thats cool.

I just ordered the G4 15" with the 100gb hard drive and 128mb of RAM. Thats all I moded on the system. I ordered it on 04.19.05, they said it would ship by 04.22.05 and no it says on or before 04.28.05. So I don't know whats going on.
probably delayed so you can get Tiger put on it.
 

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
1,914
0
New York
DXoverDY said:
probably delayed so you can get Tiger put on it.
Ditto. Apple is most likely holding your order so that you can get Tiger without having to pay the small free to receive it after you get your PowerBook.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
I think that you have made the best decision. Those that purchase the PowerBook G5 Rev. A will be product testers. At least you will have your PowerBook to enjoy.
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,400
489
NorCal
Yea I would just keep the order. Powerbooks were updated back in January, so I wouldn't expect an update till around, ohhhhhh.....September, maybe. Even then it may not be a G5, but as wdlove said, the Rev As may have bugs in them that would be fixed in the Rev Bs. The Powerbook right now are in Rev D so you can be sure that's there are few flaws.
 

JonTheRvelator

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
58
0
DXoverDY said:
probably delayed so you can get Tiger put on it.
really?

they told me I'd get a special website to go to so I could download it.

Tiger will be pretty cool I guess, (I'm new to macs)
 

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
3,330
0
Bay Area, CA
JonTheRvelator said:
really?

they told me I'd get a special website to go to so I could download it.

Tiger will be pretty cool I guess, (I'm new to macs)
Where did you buy it? They probably said/meant that there was a special website where you could order the Tiger Up-to-date package and pay just shipping and handling (http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate). There are no legal downloads of Tiger for the general public.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
JonTheRvelator said:
I got it from apple.com
Congratulations on your very wise decision. You will have a PowerBook that will provide great service.
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
2,284
39
I second that congratulations, I am thrilled with my Rev. D, there will always be a new model/idea on the horizon.
 

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
3,054
0
What's Your Favorite Posish
i suppose it just depends on how old you are, and how long you expect to live

if your under 40 and expect to live till 80 then yes, i might be worth waiting because you might get a year or two years use out of it

there at least 36 years away
 

Jubadub

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2017
198
232
For a second, I was wondering if this was a thread about one of those upcoming PowerPC-based laptops, or if someone was expecting a Blackbird/Talos II laptop...
 

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
377
203
The damn mailing systems probably lost it.

First they bend your G5 tower, then they crack your eMac, and next thing you know, they lose your PowerBook G5!

Someone ought to send those people a flippin' subpoena!
This happened to someone, worst of all, it was a quad. At least it still worked, but the nice tower was bent thanks to careless idiots who throw the packages into the back of the trucks.
 
  • Like
Reactions: z970mp

retta283

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2018
1,832
1,618
Kingman, AZ
Not sure why this was revived... I don't think that the G5 would've ever been in laptops even if Apple stayed with PPC, they would've made a more power-efficient G6 chip and used that in their laptops.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.