iPad Should I wait for iPad 5 or get iPad 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by koban4max, Apr 18, 2013.

1. koban4max macrumors 68000

hey guys.. I have a question. I already sold one of my ipad 2 and i'm selling another ipad2... should i wait for ipad 5 or get iPad 4.. The reason why i'm getting it is because i need an iPad and wasn't sure if i should but or wait...but then who knows when it come out. Wait or buy? need rationale with your answers.

2. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

Aside from a slightly thinner/lighter design, I'm not sure what there is to wait for.

The iPad 4 has the new connector, the new CPU architecture, and a host of other improvements that already make it next-gen.

3. shalliday macrumors member

shalliday

Same question I keep asking myself :)

The iPad 4 uses the new lightning connector, has the retina display and recent processor upgrade so it should be good to go for many years to come. The big question is whether you would prefer the new iPad 5 thinner and lighter design and is it worth holding off your iPad purchase and waiting for. In my case, I plan on holding onto my iPad 2 and making that decision when the iPad 5 comes available later this year.

If I needed one now, I would buy the iPad 4 but the iPad 2 is doing just fine so I'll hang off until the fall.

4. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I feel at this stage in the ball game you may as well just wait it out. Why buy now and then in the summer time the new one gets announced and you feel duped? You can't really blame apple then if there are features on the new iPad 5 that you want and you're stuck with a rapidly falling in value iPad 4 that you bought just a few months prior....

5. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

They don't rapidly fall in value though....

6. MauerFan macrumors regular

You could just get one now, and when the 5 comes out you can sell yours on ebay :)

7. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

This is what I would do. Who knows, you may not even want to upgrade to the 5 when you see what it's all about...

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

At this point I would buy a used 4, not a new one. You won't feel buyers remorse if you got it at a solid discount, and should you sell it to upgrade to the 5, you won't take much of a depreciation loss.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

That's my situation also. I want to see how much the 5 improves on thickness/weight/bezel size/heat. The 4 is nice but my 2 is doing really well. I'd want a more significant upgrade.

10. Bear macrumors G3

If you need an iPad, buy it. you might be able to get a refurbished one from Apple and save a some money.

My guess is we'll see updates in the September/October timeframe. It's only a guess, but I doubt we'd see it sooner than that.

11. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

The iPad 4 and 5 are going to share the same architecture (Tick-Tock), so I really wouldn't sweat it.

Do you like odd or even numbers? :)

12. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

But the 5 will be the most amazing iPad yet!!! Just ask Jony!

13. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

that's so true..but than..who knows when it will come out.... yikes.

----------

LOL... same look alike? :D

----------

LMAO...i like the winning numbers!

----------

that's the main problem. We haven't seen keynote for awhile now...i mean what is up with that?

----------

only if applecare was free... :)

14. richprice79 macrumors member

I just got done ordering my 64gb iPad and will pick it up in store tomorrow. I for one cannot wait as my iPad 1 is no longer fun or magical. I decided to give the smart case a try with a back plate.

15. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

retina seems usefulness..to my eyes...:D

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Can you live without an iPad for a while? If not, then buy an iPad 4 now because we don't know when or how long Apple will release new iPad 5. :apple:

17. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

If you can get the iPad 4 at discount, get it.
    I wouldn't pay the full price at this time.

Otherwise, wait for the 5, it couldn't be that long.
    Faster chip, redesigned faceplate, thinner and lighter (yep it's important on a mobile device). You'd be sorry to miss that, but would be hard pressed of upgrading once you have the 4.

18. mrmarts macrumors 65816

The iPad 4 and 3 are going to be a paperweight, if the part leaks of the iPad 5 serve to be true. i would wait, and don't buy in what other say by getting a iPad 4 now you will be only losing money by the time the iPad 5 comes out which is merely 5 months away, if you got a iPhone use that as a substitute.

19. Bear macrumors G3

An iPhone (or iPod Touch) can not be substituted for everything you can use an iPad for. It all dpends on what it is being used for.

20. Dopestar macrumors regular

Dopestar

Very true... Media is much better on a bigger screen (iPad) I deleted all media related content with the exception of music on my ip. I am a current ipad 2 owner and will wait for ipad5

21. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

it would definitely be... but since I haven't heard any keynote lately... who knows... i guess ipad 5 and 4 wouldn't make TOO MUCH deference...

----------

I would be connecting safari lot of times, as well as using PDF files to read documents...but then iPad 2 load files pretty slow compared to ipad 4. I do some typing..and doing research and stuff like that.

22. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I second all this.

I do wish I'd upgraded to the four last year when it came out though. I really thought Apple would release the 5 around now.

23. mrmarts macrumors 65816

I beg to differ. I had my iPad 3 for one year and I lost $250 when I sold it.

24. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Well Apple products are known for holding their value extremely well.

Either you got robbed or, it has something to do with Apple discontinuing the iPad 3.

25. grace4star macrumors newbie

If you can live without an iPad for a while, then get the iPad 5. Desperate? iPad 4.

But honestly, with the new iPad Mini coming out I don't think the iPad 5 will be much new. What would I do? Wait. And if the 5 doesn't seem much different except a bettter screen, then I would just get the iPad 4 because it would be cheaper then. And i would be keeping my iPad 2 until then.