Should I wait for iWatch 3

Aidoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
UK
When does Apple usually release new versions of iWatch.

Whould I wait?

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
The branding department at Apple would kill you. It's called "Apple Watch." And I think you should wait. A Watch isn't a necessity like a phone, and the next gen of Apple Watch will bring the biggest changes yet, although they won't be huge. I'm considering upgrading from my first gen to a nice new one when the third gen comes out in the fall.

Gav.Winters

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
I agree with Tapiture, the upgrades are usually unspectacular, rather like the iPad line. That said It'll probably be out in September so I'd wait.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
That said, if you see a good sale over $100 off of the current models you should be more inclined to consider buying.

Eggtastic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I am in the same boat. Unfortunately we probably won't see any design changes until next year because apple is a greedy @sshole and wants to milk the design for all it is worth knowing damn well they can make the thing thinner and the screen larger in the same footprint.

Reactions: Tapiture

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The branding department at Apple would kill you. It's called "Apple Watch." And I think you should wait. A Watch isn't a necessity like a phone, and the next gen of Apple Watch will bring the biggest changes yet, although they won't be huge. I'm considering upgrading from my first gen to a nice new one when the third gen comes out in the fall.
If you're referring to Series 3, it's only been rumored LTE being one of the major revisions. Which, personally, I don't think is major.

The real major changes will be with the health advancements in glucose and blood pressure monitoring. But I don't Believe these changes will be here any time soon. Likely when the Watch see's changes in the over all architecture.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e-glucose-monitoring-and-smart-bands.2045811/

OriginalAppleGuy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
If you are curious about the functionality of an Apple Watch now, I personally think you should get one now. There is no guarantee when the next version will come out. It might be September. Or it could be later. For arguments sake, let's say September. Historically, its been difficult to get anything new that Apple offers. Would you really be able to get the watch in September, October or even November?

I would get the S2 as it has the most features to offer at this point and will have a longer useful life. If you need to save some $$$ then maybe go with the S1. You'll miss out on the screen brightness (summer's coming - if you are in a sunny area, this will be important), crown dimming feature, stated "waterproofness," etc.

Besides, if you wait, you won't have the experience the watch offers for months. If you were asking in August, I'd say maybe then, wait.

Reactions: nikicampos

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
When does Apple usually release new versions of iWatch.

Whould I wait?
If you are curious about the functionality of an Apple Watch now, I personally think you should get one now. There is no guarantee when the next version will come out. It might be September. Or it could be later. For arguments sake, let's say September. Historically, its been difficult to get anything new that Apple offers. Would you really be able to get the watch in September, October or even November?

I would get the S2 as it has the most features to offer at this point and will have a longer useful life. If you need to save some $$$ then maybe go with the S1. You'll miss out on the screen brightness (summer's coming - if you are in a sunny area, this will be important), crown dimming feature, stated "waterproofness," etc.

Besides, if you wait, you won't have the experience the watch offers for months. If you were asking in August, I'd say maybe then, wait.
I agree, I asked myself the same question 2 months ago, easier decision, but still, two months with the S2 and love it, what I thought was, try the aluminum and not spend $200 extra, and if I like it, buy the Black Stainless Steel when the S3 comes out, I will definitely be selling my S2 and buy the S3 when it comes out.

It's a great companion to the iPhone, some people think that the Apple Watch sucks because it doesn't do a lot of things, well, it's not supposed to, it will never replace the iPhone.

betasp

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
I own an S0 and I am waiting for an S3. I am hoping for smartbands and maybe LTE. A 'battery' smartband that can get me 2-3 days would be fantastic!

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I own an S0 and I am waiting for an S3. I am hoping for smartbands and maybe LTE. A 'battery' smartband that can get me 2-3 days would be fantastic!
LTE could very well be a possibility. I don't think we will see smart bands by Series 3 if it debuts in fall 2017. I think smart bands will be further in the future how they incorporate with more health related sensors when the overhauled Apple Watch comes about.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I had a series 2 Nike+ and had an issue with the screen delaminating so I was given the choice to exchange it or return it. I decided to return and purchased a refurb SS S2 for just under 100.00 more.

I thought of waiting for the S3, but if you're waiting for the latest and greatest, you're always waiting, right?

In the end, it's your choice. If you feel the current generation will do what you need/want, grab it. And the refurb prices aren't bad at all.

ddrulez

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Germany
If you're referring to Series 3, it's only been rumored LTE being one of the major revisions. Which, personally, I don't think is major.

The real major changes will be with the health advancements in glucose and blood pressure monitoring. But I don't Believe these changes will be here any time soon. Likely when the Watch see's changes in the over all architecture.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e-glucose-monitoring-and-smart-bands.2045811/
Yeah I waiting too for this to replace my 1gen Watch. I had a Typ 2 and glucose Monitoring is a good thing to have. Maybe it will come back sometime.

Reactions: Relentless Power

imhereareyou

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
I don't get the waiting, if you are gonna wait for #3 why not just wait for #4 or #5? lol they come out fairly frequent.

imhereareyou

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
I never stated it was a "Long time." The point is, there is no real timeline for the Apple Watch for future models, because it's fairly new product for Apple.
right, fairly new but if you go with apple products ie: iphone then you can assume that there will be new versions just as often. They need to keep up with all the other people out there.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
The real question is how does one find the "Apple Watch" subforum and still call it an iWatch? This late in the game, I'd only buy the current generation on a nice steep sale otherwise hold out for the next one.

Reactions: jonnyb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.