Should I wait for Kaby Lake MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DobaKung, Feb 1, 2017.

?

Would you wait?

  1. Yes

    54.4%
  2. No

    45.6%
  1. DobaKung macrumors newbie

    DobaKung

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2011
    Location:
    Thailand
    #1
    Recent reports suggest that the Kaby Lake 13-inch MacBook Pro will debut in Q2, which would be around 6 months until I can get my hands on it.

    My current one is the late 2008 model which still works fine except that the battery (replaced already) could only last ~3 hours. It's also too heavy (2 kg) to carry to the campus everyday.

    I'm planning to buy the late 2016 w/ Touch Bar this February. But should I continue waiting? Would there be much performance increase? Is the battery is going to last longer by >1 hour?

    Share your thoughts.
     
  2. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2011
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #2
    Sawadee Krub

    I also have a 2008, and was going to order the 2016 but am going to wait it out... but that is just my case and have other macs that will get me thru.

    Really depends on your needs... do you need it right now? I think the next release will be more refined and powerful if you can wait

    Chok Dee Makk!
     
  3. DobaKung thread starter macrumors newbie

    DobaKung

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2011
    Location:
    Thailand
    #3
    BTW, I use it for Web development, programming (studying IT), graphic design and some video editing. I also have a Windows desktop PC.
     
  4. Uni Grad macrumors 6502a

    Uni Grad

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2015
    Location:
    Bloomberg News
    #4
    Usually the best suggestion is that if you need it, get it!

    However, given the current situation of the MacBook Pro, I wouldn't advise that now. Definitely wait until the Kabylake update, you should be in for a better battery, better screen, and a lower price.

    I've also been waiting since August 2015 :D
     
  5. DobaKung, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017

    DobaKung thread starter macrumors newbie

    DobaKung

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2011
    Location:
    Thailand
    #5
    สวัสดีครับ

    Maybe that we are exactly in the same boat 555555. Actually it's more like a want krub, but I just can't stand carrying a 2-kg laptop to my campus everyday as it's not so convenient with my commute.

    Just wanted to know if it's any worth waiting for four months more.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2017 ---
    Thanks.

    Actually what I care the most is battery life. The current generation is already fast enough for my work so the performance gain wouldn't hold me the wait.

    Anyway, my 3 friends have already bought the exact same model and have had some freezes. Battery lasts all-day though. I think if it lasts at least 7 hours then there's not going to be any problem as there are power outlets across my campus.
     
  6. andy9l macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    Location:
    England, UK
    #6
    Same answer applies to all of these threads...

    The next generation will be better than the current generation in nearly every regard. That's always going to be the case.

    If you need one now, then so long as you buy the correct model/product for your needs, you'll be absolutely fine. If you don't need one now, it is always beneficial to wait.
     
  7. Eason85 macrumors regular

    Eason85

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2017
    Location:
    Hong Kong
    #7
    [Thai members intensify]

    I would wait for Kaby Lake. What university do you go to, btw? If you go to MUIC, I'll give you an A ;)

    What you could do if you really can't wait and keep carrying your powerbook around is buy a cheap thinkpad x220/x230 off ebay and use it until Kaby lake MBPs come out na krub.
     
  8. Cache macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #8
    The new macbook is only 2-3 months old, so if you need it now then just buy it and enjoy it. Don't regret the purchase, there's always going to be a new macbook in the future. Besides, we don't know what Apple will release this year. They may even hold off on releasing anything and then what? You'd have been waiting for nothing.
     
  9. Dave245 macrumors 603

    Dave245

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2013
    #9
    I'm in a similar situation and I've decided to wait, I have a 2011 MacBook Pro that I want to update, I'm waiting for Kaby Lake later this year, there is also likely to be a price drop as well. My only dilemma is whether to get the 13" or 15" MacBook Pro with touch bar, I'm definitely going with the touch bar version. Overall I think it will be a big upgrade compared to my 2011 MacBook Pro.
     
  10. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

    ZapNZs

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2017
    #10
    If you do not need 32GB of RAM, my prediction is that Kaby Lake is going to be an incremental update with minor performance gains and likely some battery gains and iGPU gains (and of course with the 15-inch there will be a dGPU update, which could be significant, but this doesn't apply to the 13.) It seems unlikely that the difference will be dramatic, or very noticeable in day-to-day usage. My guess is that the biggest single upgrade with the refresh will be the hammering out of bugs/quirks/annoyances/QC-QA protocol that are seen with the premiere 2016 version, a system of which by most accounts are already mostly positive.

    If you were considering the base model, then I would say waiting until Q3 is all worth the while given its price is expected to drop. But since you are considering a TB model, that seems less likely to happen.
     
  11. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

    macintoshmac

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #11
    Buy one. I did it late November and couldn't be happier. Six months is a long period.
     
  12. augustya macrumors 68020

    augustya

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2012
    #12
    You are saying you haven't yet taken the plunge in to the 2016 rMBP ? And you are gonna be waiting for the 2017 Kaby Lake rMBP's ?
     
  13. jerryk macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #13
    You might wait, but I am not too sure on the Q2 timeframe. End of Q3 seem more realistic.
     
  14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

    puckhead193

    Joined:
    May 25, 2004
    Location:
    NY
    #14
    i think the performance boost will be nice to have of course, not much but better. The big thing is will you consider adding in 32 gigs of ram? if the rumors are true, and apple adds in the 32 gig option would you consider getting it. (based on apple rams prices, its going to be a pricey option)

    If I was in your boat I'd wait cause i would definitely want the 32 gigs of ram as a video editor and that would be a huge plus for me and the price would be a concern of course but not for a few $100s dollars it would be worth it to me.
     
  15. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

    hawkeye_a

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2016
    #15
    I upgraded from a late 2008 unibody last month. That old machine is still going strong! (also on second battery)

    I considered getting a new battery and just waiting for the next revision, but I decided to get a late 2016 version and dont regret it, it's a great machine.

    My reasoning: I wasnt confident that Apple would release an update anytime soon considering how long it was since the previous release (almost 2 years i think). I couldn't wait a year(or 2) for an update. If you feel they will release a new Mac within an acceptable time frame(for you) go ahead and wait. If the "wait time" is longer than you can bear then might as well get one now and enjoy it. :)
     
  16. Zerosopher, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017

    Zerosopher macrumors regular

    Zerosopher

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2011
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #16
    I'm not sure how much power you need for your graphic design and video editing.
    IMO, if you can wait, it is always worth to wait for the next generation.
    I was in a dilemma to upgrade mine as well (from Macbook Air 2013 to a new pro) but I decided to wait.
    This guy in the video gave fantastic (Thai) reviews on the new pro. I really recommend watching it.




    โชคดีครับ
     
  17. Uni Grad macrumors 6502a

    Uni Grad

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2015
    Location:
    Bloomberg News
    #17
    I did buy the non-touch bar or escape edition MacBook Pro, but couldn't justify the price, and so returned it.

    I'm definitely waiting for the 2017 Kabylake rMBPs. Hopefully they put an end to my waiting....
     
  18. DobaKung thread starter macrumors newbie

    DobaKung

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2011
    Location:
    Thailand
    #18
    Thanks. It's KMITL though, but still appreciate your A :D. However, I couldn't afford to buy two laptops. The MBP I'm considering already costs 71k THB
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2017 ---
    Thank you very much for your suggestion. I think I won't be any regretful buying the current model now after reading this . My friends are happy with their new Pro too, despite some little fusses.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2017 ---
    Thanks. I won't be upgrading to 32 GB RAM any time soon (if it's a Mac). My current one is doing FCPX almost just fine with 1080p videos, just a few hiccups on preview (it's Core 2 Duo with 8 GB of RAM and an SSD), so I think a little upgrade will be enough for me. After Effects should be more than okay too.
     
  19. DobaKung thread starter macrumors newbie

    DobaKung

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2011
    Location:
    Thailand
    #19
    Yeah, this model really is very solid! Thanks for your comment. The time frame is quite long and I think enjoying it now wouldn't be a problem. I don't think I'll be regretful for it after reading all the thoughts here ;)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2017 ---
    I need the power that's enough for editing 1080p videos with no hiccups, which actually the non-TB model could do it just fine. For graphics work, my current MacBook could do it without a problem, but with large files (PSD, AI) it spends some time processing. However, I'm using Affinity's suite now which seems to be running smoother than Adobe's.

    With these, the Kaby Lake upgrade might not make any noticeable difference right?

    Thanks for the video too krub :)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2017 ---
    Right now I'm at the campus, without a power strip (forgot it at home). The adapter is with me though. Gotta manage my time charging it this lunchtime.

    I think I'm in need of a new one right now. The battery problem is so annoying.
     
  20. Penlocky macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    #20
    Hahaha looks like you guys didn't put in one important future proof info of Kaby Lake. I was going all over the internet to investigate Kaby Lake's advantages over Sky Lake.
    Here is what I found.

    The meh:
    1. Very small performance gain.
    2. Same architecture.

    The interesting:
    1. Better efficiency = better battery life.
    2. Better iGPU = lesser lags on user interface when using integrated graphics. If you used a non retina MacBook Pro, you will know the smooth experience is overwhelmingly satisfying.

    The future proof = wow!:
    1. Hardware HEVC, h.265, 10bit, VP9 decoding = Kaby Lake iGPU will have hardware decoding for 4K videos built in. Something Sky Lake and older CPU does not offer. What this means is that watching 4K videos will result in the same power consumption and CPU power as watching a 1080p or 720p video. This is a huge future proof gain when in 5 years time, 4K content will be more widespread. Especially because current retina display has a native resolution of beyond 1080p, its a shame we can't utilise 4K movies to max out the retina display experience. Or even connecting to a 4k monitor.
    2. HDCP 2.2 hardware included. You will be able to stream 4k movies from content providers because it is required that your laptop CPU must have HDCP 2.2 (Sky Lake doesn't have this.).

    Think of the future, and tell me what you think.
     
  21. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2014
    #21
    that's a tough decision. If I really needed a new MBP and it would really help me out today, then I'd get it. But if I CAN wait I would def wait bc I'd hope the battery issues would be better.
     
  22. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

    macintoshmac

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #22
    If the future held streaming movies for me all the time, I might wait for Kaby. Because, in 5 years, while the CPU would still be relevant, there may be other things that would make buying a new Mac that much desirable. All depends on what the specific use case is. I can't possibly think one hardware feature that pertains to watching specifically 4K movies is going to outdate my system from today. 1080p is still going to stay for some years, and then, by the time 4K would just be gaining enough traction and support, 8K will be on the horizon. It already is, in some ways. It's a cat and mouse that never stops. You as a customer just need to find your own middle ground.

    For my usage, the 2016 MBP works just fine, and will do for next 5 years, when I will buy another, better than today MBP with the HEVC support that you are waiting for next year, only better. Also, and I do not wish to be quoted on this, because the information is slightly vague, that HEVC is very good for compression, not for quality.
     
  23. Penlocky macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    #23
    Yeah will have people decide on their own.
    I want to decide on Kaby because I do not have the income to buy MacBook Pro every 5 years. (or do I? =O).
    What type of screen will 8k benefit on?

    You do not want to be quoted on this? What do you mean?
    I have looked around, HEVC is a new compression technique which is great for compression and also better quality than h.264 AAC, the current format we use for 1080. h.264 is a standard since around 2004. From my understanding, HEVC (h.265) compresses files of the same size even smaller than h.264, while retaining or even have better quality with some mathematics. The result is that 4k videos will be compress to an acceptable size with HEVC. If 4k uses h.264 standards, it will be a huge file.

    That also means that in the future 1080p videos might start to be compress with HEVC format to save further storage and retain greater quality. I think I also heard that h.265 also uses lesser processing power if the computer has hardware decoder for it than the h.264. So I conclude that it would be beneficial for system to include HEVC decoding capabilities to prepare for the future. YouTube also is possibly moving onto VP9, HEVC equivilent of YouTube.
     
  24. MH01 Suspended

    MH01

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #24
    I always recommend skipping an apple rev A product . Though if you need one now, non issue, get one and it will be a sweet upgrade
     
  25. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

    c0ppo

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    #25
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have returned mine MBP15. A lot of bugs and annoyances for such a expensive laptop.

    Performance wise, there won't be much gain. But I expect that they will iron out all the little bugs and issues for second gen. And that is the only reason I am waiting :)
     

Share This Page