Should I wait for Lion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Krayzie116, May 13, 2011.

  1. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2010
    #1
    Hey I was thinking of buy me a new iMac but I was wondering should I wait for the new OS Lion to come out to get it? I have iMac that is 4 years old now. Just wondering what your guys thought if I should wait or not.
     
  2. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2009
    Location:
    Idaho
  3. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2010
    #3
    What problem would you be trying to solve by waiting for Lion? The cost of the upgrade? The time involved in the upgrade?
     
  4. Krayzie116 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2010
  5. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    #5
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    If you are not in a rush sit it out until fall. That is what I am going to do.
     
  6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

    NutsNGum

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #6
    What a unique and helpful post.

    OP, only you can decide if it's worth it. To be on the safe-side I'd lean more towards owning the iMac with Snow Leopard until any potential bugs have been ironed out in Lion. Also if you wait until Lion, you'll be missing out on months of iMac enjoyment!
     
  7. applefan289 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2010
    Location:
    USA
    #7
    Nah, if you want the computer just get it and upgrade to Lion later. There hasn't been any set date for when Lion will come out. I don't think the upgrade will be too much more than Snow Leopard, but I don't know.

    If it were up to me, I'd buy the computer now.
     
  8. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2010
    #8
    Two recommendations.

    Get it now and enjoy it, and
    Choose the Magic Trackpad. Lion likes Trackpads!
     
  9. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #9
    Who cares?

    By computer now. Buy Lion later.

    Wait for Lion to be included with computer and buy computer at that time.

    Just tell us what you want to do and we'll agree with you to make you feel better about your decision.
     
  10. sonarghost macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    #10
    If you are someone that uses your computer with software and plug ins for professional use I would definately get it now and avoid Lion for a while. There is the possibility of unforseen bugs, glitches, ect. that can bring your studio to a complete halt and can hurt business and you will probably need a million different patches in order for all of your stuff to work effectively, or work period, in Lion. If you are more of a casual user then it's entirely up to you.
     
  11. Bob Sacamano macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    #11
    Yah I agree with most of the posters here. With the Apple world there is always "something to wait for" so you can never really win. Get things as you need them.
     
  12. penduboy macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2011
    #12
    Hi, I am waiting for iPod promotion but won't be able to hold my purchase until Lion came out. This will be my first Mac. Windows upgrades are very expensive, any one knows how much normally apple charge for os upgrades?

    Thanks, Pendu
     
  13. makingmusic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    #14
    I agree! If we waited for Apple, we'd wait for ever!
     
  14. Duluth Baptist, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

    Duluth Baptist macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2011
    Location:
    Duluth, MN
    #15
    You're on top of one update, that's enough

    If you need a Mac and have the money, get it now. There are always upgrades in the future; you cannot predict how titanic they will be. If Lion uses the same upgrade pricing structure that they used for Snow Leopard, you're looking at less than $50. Would you pay $50 to *lease* a new top of the line iMac for an indeterminate multi-month time period until Lion comes out? I would.

    The iMac hardware has just been upgraded, so if you buy now you are getting a computer that will be front-line for a year and competitive for years. A major hardware upgrade is much more expensive than a software update, and you know you won't have to worry about that for a while. This is a good time to pull the trigger.

    Just to use my situation as an example, I upgraded my 2006 white intel iMac to a 21.5" early last year, using the newish hardware/snow leopard logic. There have been modest upgrades to the iMac line since then, but my iMac *looks* the same and still has plenty of horsepower for what I do with it; more than a year on I still have what runs like a brand-new top-of-the-line computer. I could have waited until the i7 came available, I suppose, but what fun would that have been?
     
  15. Duluth Baptist, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

    Duluth Baptist macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2011
    Location:
    Duluth, MN
    #16
    You're on top of one update, that's enough

    Mystery duplicate post.
     
  16. Nanker/Phelge macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2010
    #17
    Not necessarily true...there will likely be processor upgrades/pricing shifts this fall...but that's just being nitpicky :p
     
  17. gcthompson macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    #18
    Somebody got out of bed the wrong side... :)
     
  18. penduboy macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2011
    #19
    Ha ha ha......:).....very ture....LOL
     

Share This Page