Should I wait for new 2009 iphone release?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigchief, Feb 26, 2009.

1. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I'm new to this forum and I have never owned an iphone. My contract has run out with at&t and I'm ready for a new phone. My brother bought a first generation iphone when they first came out and I've been jealous ever since. A friend of mine recently bought a iphone 3g 16gig and I really like playing with it. Ok, here's my question. Should I wait for the 2009 release in June. If there's going to be changes such a bigger memory I'm willing to wait.

Any comments or opinions will be appreciated. Thanks

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I dont know im not you.:)
    It all depends on how urgent you need it really. I would wait.

3. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Well the thing is, no one here knows really anything about what will be in a new iPhone in June if anything.

Obviously you WANT an iPhone. And you say "IF" there's going to be changes you will wait.

Sounds to me you need to just wait unless you need one now.

4. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

My current phone still works. I guess I was was just wondering if anyone here had an inside track on whats next for the iphone and when.

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Not yet it seems. :)

6. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

I'd say if you can stick it up for 3-4 months with your old phone, do it.
    But that's just my personal take on it.

I know I've been waiting for an iMac refresh for 4 or 5 months now..
    Soon, baby!

7. thecellar macrumors regular

Personally, i would get the iphone 3g now, in fact im getting one tomorrow. It will be my third iphone, i'm a phone junkie, and sometimes i veer away..but the iphone always pulls me back in. I have had the storm, bb curve, and an iphone in the last year. the iphone is superior to all of them.

Get it! ....and if a new one comes out sell your 3g, someone will buy it.

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

First, lay off the bold. We got the picture.

I would without a doubt wait until June or July to buy the iPhone. I currently have an iPhone, but would wait until June/July if I was in your shoes. If not the iPhone, there will be phones coming out in the next 5 months that will blow away anything that is currently on the market.

9. syclick macrumors regular

I would wait. My contract with Sprint (blech!) is almost up, and I'd be on the cusp of getting myself an iPhone 3g if it weren't for the fact that people are expecting a product refresh this summer. As much as I want it this moment, I would rather wait a few months than kick myself when the new ones (supposedly) come out.

Besides, the iPhone 3g has its own share of kinks... battery, reception, cracks, etc... I would rather wait and see if the next version addresses any of those concerns.

10. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Meh, wait. There's no "real" need to get it right now! If you could wait for about 4 months, then do it.

Unless you're one of those people that doesn't kick themselves for having the latest and greatest.

11. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

12. marine610610 macrumors regular

Id say wait...and this is why..

The current iPhone has been around for a little bit, and there is a good chance we will see a new one this summer. What may come with that new iPhone is a plan that isn't a complete ripoff. (Paying extra for texting after already paying extra for data is BS, and ATT makes it expensive) Its fun to get the latest stuff when you can afford it and its even better when you waited a little while.

Im also partial to Verizon and harbor hopes about them picking up a CDMA iPhone.

I really want an iPhone, but it would be for pleasure only. Hard to justify over 1k a year on a phone. It will come down eventually.....

13. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Exactly +1. :)

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Like others have said, I would wait a few months and see what happens.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I'm not sure if this means anything, but find this article interesting:

Softbank Mobile is offering free iPhones for those signing up from Friday to May 31.

Maybe they are trying to clear inventory by June for the new model.

Who knows?

16. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

just get the iphone 3g now, if a new one comes out. Sell your 3G and get the new one and put money towards the new one. Simple as that :rolleyes:

17. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

Besides, the iPhone 3g has its own share of kinks... battery, reception, cracks, etc... I would rather wait and see if the next version addresses any of those concerns.[/QUOTE]

Good reasons to wait.

THANKS! everyone for resopnding to this thread. As long a my current phone holds out I'll wait for an 09 update.

18. northy014 macrumors regular

If you want the storage, then I would certainly wait. Apple WILL update the iPhone - 100%, there's no reason not to, and they will most likely up the storage in particular, as the technological capability (and price) is now around to lay 2 16Gb chips in one phone.

19. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I would wait now.

It's now march so you think some kind of announcement June - July

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Currently, the iPhone has one memory slot and the iPod touch has two.

That is why the touch has twice the memory of the iPhone. If Apple continues with the current design concept, then the touch memory capacity will continue double of the iPhone's memory capacity.

The pricing of the 32GB flash memory chips will be key as to when we see the upgrade.

21. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

They can't fit two 16GB chips in one phone. However, 32GB chips started production in January. So by the summer they could put a single 32GB chip into it.

EDIT: Sushi beat me too it. I guess I need to practice my typing speed.

22. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Any sources to back this up?

Not to be a sm@rt-@ss or anything, I just don't remember any info leaked that they were in production.

Thanks. :D

23. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

24. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Hey thanks for the links! This will make for some good bedtime reading tonight. ;)

25. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

This makes me more confident about waiting for the 09 models to come out.