Should I wait for the iPhone LTE or get the iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Booju16, May 19, 2011.

1. Booju16 macrumors member

Thing is, I have an AT&T iPhone 4, but if Sprint gets the iPhone 4S, I'm most likely going to cancel my AT&T contract and run over to Sprint.

The iPhone 4S, however, isn't the iPhone 4 LTE. If sprint get's the iPhone 4S in september, is it likely to get the iPhone 4 LTE in 2012? If so, would sprint allow me to upgrade from the iPhone 4S to LTE in that short amount of time?

2. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

If you really want LTE, I'd say to wait until 2012. The iPhone 4 is still a great device, and iOS 5 will make it feel brand new.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wait for what? Over 1-2 years till a possible LTE iphone?
    I'd get the next iphone when it comes out, if you sit there and wait you will wait forever cause there's always going to be something better, faster, cooler, smaller comming out. Enjoy it now and when there is the next one available you can always sell your old one for a good price and get the new one.

4. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

The iPhone 6 will most likely be LTE/4G capable. He's only skipping one generation which is reasonable. Not everyone upgrades every year. iOS 5 will be a great update to the iPhone 4 and they could possibly hold him over until the iPhone 6 comes out. Money is always an issue these days and it's still going to cost him, even if he sells his iPhone 5.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its still well over a year maybe a year and half and IMO not worth to keep waiting.
    The iphone 10 will be alot better, tell him to hold off for that:rolleyes:
    OP, you want an iphone get the next one that will maybe come out in 2-4 months possibly.
    Who knows if the 2012 iphone will be LTE for sure.
    If you sell it and get an early upgrade for the next one you can break even upgrading or just put in a little out of pocket.
    Up to you, life is short.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

7. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

The new iPhone that's being released June 6th.

8. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt Apple will call the next iPhone the 4S. I Would imagine they want to get away from tacking on S's and G's to a number. Next iPhone will be called the iPhone 5 as for the 5th version and keep it simple.

It just does not make any sense to keep '4' in the name if it is not going to be a 4g phone. So then want next year if there is really is a 4S are they going to call the one after that the 4GS for 4G?

OP. Get the iPhone 5 in the fall when it comes out. My friend at work still has an android G1 and has been waiting for the next great phone to come out for a few years. Just when a phone comes out that he wants then he finds out about a newer phone that is better so he waits some more. Now he is waiting for the Galaxy S II I guess. LOL!!

9. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Tell your friend to keep on waiting, i heard the Galaxt S3 is already in production with Quad-Core chips and will be able to run Crysis 3.

To OP, if LTE is a dealbreaker, then don't get the coming iPhone 5 (it's not gonna be called a 4S). Wait for iPhone 6.

I could care less about LTE, and as soon as everyone goes to LTE, the 3G network here will be much better off, but it's fine the way it is now.

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I really don't understand what is the big freaking deal about LTE. These carriers are clearly moving away from unlimited data. Once LTE is well deployed then, they will force or make you to sign up for limited data. So, you will get a faster connection, but you will also pay a lot of money for using heavy data.

Grandfathered plan is just a method of saying, "Oh, it's okay for now, but we will get you sometime."

Now, you can burn your limit 5-6 times faster. Big F deal.

LTE is useless for me until it's well deployed across the United States.

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yes.

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

iPhone 4 was the biggest leap forward since the original iPhone. Apple will probably throw in some upgrades to make it fresh and just barely enough to look iPhone 4 outdated, so all of you apple lovers and Job's fanboys will buy one.

They will probably do some new casing design to make everyone to camp out for one. If they make them in purple, and people will them. People will buy anything as long as apple logo on it.

LTE is not coming until 2012.

13. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

whats wrong with being grandfathered in? im alrdy grandfathered in with verizon so why do i care if they change it to tiered data pricing?

Also you fail to acknowledge that most people don't even use more than 2 gb. So itll just let them use the same amount of internet they do know faster.

and it might be useless to you but verizon's LTE covers most Major cities. So a huge majority of the U.S population is covered.

14. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

someone has a stick up their @$$ :rolleyes: enjoy your LTE droids that get 4 hours of battery life. Congrats on that accomplishment :)

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Okay Steve Jobs :p Your talking about others being fanboys when you just quoted him...

16. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I'll assume this is coming from a child as this would not come out of a mature adults mouth. Stick to your Android phone bud.

17. kre62 macrumors 68000

Actually iPhone 4 from an internal component standpoint is running the same tech as the 3GS. Even if the 5 looks identical, but has the dual core chip, it'll be a generation ahead.

Case in point, people thought the 3GS was a minor updgrade from the 3G, but they wernt thinking ahead. The 3GS is staying relevent much longer because it was running the next generation of chips. The 4S will be relevent much longer then the 3GS/4, which is at end of life.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Go back to your android forum dude:rolleyes:

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wait, what?
    There's no such thing as an 'iPhone LTE' or 'iPhone 4S'

Maybe you should wait for something to come out.

20. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Exactly.

its like debating which imaginary product is a better buy,

21. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Oh, so you have proof to back that up yes?

WWDC in happening in 6th of June, not the iPhone.