Should I wait for the new MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Anthony T, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I will be starting college September 2nd and I really need a new laptop. I was thinking of getting the black MacBook, but now I hear that a new MacBook is coming out next month?

I really want to spend less than $2000, so do you think the price on the new one will be fairly the same? Do you think there will be new features on the new MacBook that is worth waiting over a month for?

Thanks for all of your guys' time and help in advance.

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

You waited this long, might as well wait a lil longer.

3. Shot22 macrumors regular

I'm in the exact same situation and I am going to wait a few extra weeks to get the new MacBook (or MacBook Pro). Even though I'll probably miss the Back-to-School offer, I don't think I'd be happy with having the "old" version of the MacBook. Remember, this update is probably not just a speed bump. All signs point to it being an all-around upgrade. I just don't want to miss out on that.

4. -kumar- macrumors member

yeah im in the same position as you. im going to wait, and you should too. once you get it, you will be glad you waited

5. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

I'm in the same boat as you, mate. I was about to buy a Macbook last week but thought I might check to see if a new one was coming and surely enough there apparently is. So I'm going to wait it out.

I'm in Australia though, so I'm hoping the release here would be the same as the US.:D

6. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

if you need it now, get it.
    if you can stand to wait, then wait.

but i personally would get the last version of the "old" design, with all the kinks worked out, than get the one fresh off the patent table with possible flaws and kinks. when has anybody released a new product and it ran flawlessly from day one?

7. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

8. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

you forgot buy now sell on ebay buy new one :)

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Normally I would say if the current specs suit your needs then buy now. However, I would venture to guess a new MB is due out in Sept. sometime so if you can hold off then do.

Me, I'm waiting to buy a MB after Sept but that is because I want the current model at a lesser price. I just need something that runs windows for one exam application that won't run on OSX.

10. mxelre macrumors member

mxelre

Starting september 2nd as well and I decided that I would buy the current blackbook generation for the following reasons: I don't need anything more powerful than that, the blackbook design looks very nice and for the same reason mixmacface mentionned I prefed getting an "older" version with the kinks all worked out. I don't feel like taking a risk with the new generation and bring my laptop back to the genius bar a few months after the release. Finally, I "need" a computer/laptop since as of august 22nd I won't have any computer!

11. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I may just do the same. I'm not a hardcore computer-user so I don't need anything that the current MacBook doesn't offer, although I'm sure the new design will be nice.

12. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

EDIT: What makes you so sure it'll be nicer than those already on the market today?

13. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I just got one from these forums that is wonderful. The current gen macbooks are "Grade A" machines. If the new ones are super awesome, then I'll probably upgrade to one in a year or so.

14. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Exact same here.

15. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

Wont the current model go on sale once the new model comes out? So that would be september also, right?

16. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

B R I L L I A N T ! ! ! :D

17. jerkjosh macrumors newbie

Well I'm debating too whether I should get the updated one or not. My situation is that I CAN wait until the new one comes out, however, I may want to take advantage of the free touch promotion.

So I'm thinking, if I get the macbook before Sept 14, get the touch, then sell the touch later, I save $200. So theoretically, I'm debating whether the updates are worth $200 or not. It's difficult because when Sept 13 hits, it is likely I still won't know what's being updated, so in a sense, I'm gambling with $200 for good updates.

I'm edging towards waiting past Sept 14...but what do you guys think?

18. illidian macrumors 6502

You could also buy right before the deal ends and later exchange the MB for the newer one, less a 10% restocking fee, I believe.

19. jerkjosh macrumors newbie

If I were to do that, wouldn't that null my ipod touch rebate?

20. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I think it does. Which is what kinda made me decide to just buy one of the current gen anyways and forget the new ones for now. You have to ask yourself: "do I think the new macbook will be worth $300 more?". I figured the new models would come out after the rebate and I would lose the $300 a sold iPod touch would have gotten me.

I don't take any chances with one of the current gens :p

21. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

+1.
    i love you.

22. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wait, if I were to buy the current MacBook now, would I be able to exchange it for the newer one when it comes out?

23. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

screw waiting and wasting your time and energy and effort.

i bought one last night.

if you see a good deal on refurb, go for it.

i was so relieved when i actually made the purchase.

if you wait, you will never be happy.....you will be stressed.

make a decision and go for it.

depends on how much money you have.

you can always buy one now.....play with it.........and then if you REALLY want the new one, when and if it comes out........just sell the one you have, the value will not drop much........

you may end up waiting and nothing major happens, then youre gonna be saying *sigh*

its not fun when youhave to make decisions. im terrible for it.

last night i took the plunge and bought a black macbook refurb.
    it should arrive tmrw. hopefully ill wake up when they knock my door.

look at is philosopically......in ten or twenty years it wont matter.
    everything changes.
    technology changes. we age. we die.
    these are just things. things that we use and they are tools.
    do your work with the computer.,thats it.
    at the end of our lives, we will have lost a lot of money.......and made alot of money...........we will have forgoten the misfortunes and the bad deals and forgotten the good deals we made.........all that will matter is what we did in life overall and the people we had and have in our life, close ones and loved ones.......and what will happen in the afterlife......

me, i coudl have waited and maybe the price would have dropped.
    but its not the end of the world. you win some, you lose some. i got an ok deal i think.

all the best.

24. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

If new ones come out within 2 weeks