Should I wait or buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BeSweeet, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

    BeSweeet

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    #1
    So, I want to get a MacBook Pro, but I don't know if I should buy one now or wait a few months to see if Apple plans on doing anything to them.

    I would buy it from Costco but they obviously don't sell them, so I'll probably get mine at the PX since I don't have to pay tax.
     
  2. Surely Guest

    Surely

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #2
    If you need it, buy it. If you don't need it, wait.

    It's that simple. Or is it? Yes, it is.
     
  3. Jordz macrumors member

    Jordz

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2008
    Location:
    England, U.K
    #3
    Well the thing is, every time you buy a mac, they are always going to come out with something new or upgrade it whether it's next month or in three months. There will always be something better that comes out just after you buy. RAM Upgrade, More Space etc. Happened with me and the Macbook, and Imac. And then you think, doh.

    You could wait and see what happens, but its the same pattern over again. You get the new version, they come out with something better.

    Just look at it like that :)

    Jordan
     
  4. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

    BanjoBanker

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    Mt Brook, AL
    #4
    I buy new Macs when I need them. Then I ignore all the news for the next two months! As previously said, there will ALWAYS be a better Mac coming out "soon" so you could in theory wait forever. If you need it now, buy it now and enjoy it.
    :cool:
     
  5. modular macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2009
    #5
    as everyone else said, they'll always be a new one around the corner. The question is when.

    It's probably a safe bet to assume there will be updates in January. Of course who knows what those updates will be.

    If you want one, i'd say just go for it now - the macbook pros are a great value at the moment.
     
  6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

    chrono1081

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Location:
    Isla Nublar
    #6
    Get it now. Why wait? You could be enjoying your new computer as we speak.

    I just bought a new MBP today. (I was offered a Canon 35mm 1.4L lens for the one in my sig so I took the deal and bought an upgrade :D )
     
  7. cmwade77 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2008
    #7
    I usually buy one previous generation, as I work down the street from MacMall and they sell the ones that are one generation old at massive discounts, as a general rule. What I usually do is wait until a new generation has just gone on sale and then go down and get one of the ones that were just outdated at 30%+ off, then upgrade RAM if I need to (buying RAM from them is much cheaper than from Apple).
     
  8. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

    BeSweeet

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    #8
    Ugh... It's so hard to decide!

    I'd like one now for school and all that stuff, since my hackintosh is starting to be difficult and battery life is horrible.

    But I don't want to buy something now that could be updated within a few weeks or something like that.

    I was told that I should be getting mine in November. If that were the case, should I buy one in November, or wait for something new in January?

    This is so hard!
     
  9. markparker macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2009
    #9
    Im in the same boat, I was about to buy a macbook pro but after researching a bit online, im pretty confident that mobile quads are on the horizon and Im willing to wait b/c my laptop at the moment is still ok. I believe January will be the next macbook refresh and it will involve new chips/chipsets.

    Intel is about to release a new line of mobile quads, and it seems logical that it will take a few months to get these chips into the macbooks.

    BUT if you dont have a laptop, or really need one, why wait. The macbooks out now are very good and the unibody design is here to stay for awhile.
     
  10. dubels macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    #10
    +1 it is the age of technology, things improve so fast especially with the intel chips that there is always something around the corner. In 3 years my original release macbook seems so far behind.
     
  11. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

    BeSweeet

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    #11
    Yeah, I'm gonna wait.
     
  12. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

    super tomtendo

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2009
    Location:
    Florida
    #12
    I am in the same dilemma. However, I decided just to wait and upgrade a few perks on my current MBP - Like snow leopard. You will probably see upgrades for the laptops in January. So you would get 4 months of solid time with an upgraded system, but then hate yourself when you see how much you paid at a lower price.

    I am just waiting till I see big changes.

    Good luck.
     
  13. Benchmob31 macrumors member

    Benchmob31

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Sacramento, CA
    #13
    Im in the same boat and I am not gonna wait. Im actually going to buy refurbished to save myself money. The uMBP that released in June are avaliable on the refurb website. My opinion is Apple is only going to tweak the uMBP and not redo the whole line like they did last year. They might give it a little faster of a processor and they might give it a slightly better graphics card. But they are always gonna do it. So you might as well get it now and enjoy it!
     
  14. brendu macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #14
    I was in the same situation... Bought a mbp this week because im pretty sure they will not be doing any major update anytime soon... I almost went refurb, but i wanted the free iTouch since im a student..

    Im pretty sure they tend to update their notebook lines in march so dont expect much other than small spec bumps before then. I suppose it will be possible they will have quad core processors next year but they wont be cheap, also im positive they will offer larger SSD's next year, but also not cheap...

    Right now is a great time to buy...
     
  15. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

    BeSweeet

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    #15
    This is the hardest decision ever. Damn you :apple: :mad:.

    I'm planning on getting a 15" with the 9600M GT, 500GB HDD, and 4GB DDR3 RAM. Apple is probably gonna be released MBPs with better CPUs and everything soon...

    I'll wait 'till next week during their special event. If they don't happen to do anything laptop related, then I'll just buy it next week (if I play my cards right with my parents).

    If I do get one next week, how long would it be until Apple starts their "get a free iPod Touch" thing?
     
  16. Surely Guest

    Surely

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #16
    Why don't you take a look at this:

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com

    What if they announce upgrades in October/November, like they have for the past, well, number of years? Then what? Huh? :D
     
  17. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

    BeSweeet

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    #17
    That's why I don't know when to really get one :(. Buy now, but risk having something outdated in a few months, or buy later, but I won't have it until then.

    Every time I think about that damn thing I want it even more :mad::mad::mad:.
     
  18. Surely Guest

    Surely

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #18
    It won't be outdated. It's not like it will stop working once a new one is announced.

    I'm using the 2.2 GHz Santa Rosa MacBook that I got in November 2007. It still looks like new and still runs like new. It's not outdated.

    They will always upgrade their machines. If you keep waiting, you'll never get to enjoy one.
     
  19. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

    BeSweeet

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    #19
    True, but I want something just a tad bit better. I think they'll make them a tad bit better soon.

    I'll wait.
     
  20. Benchmob31 macrumors member

    Benchmob31

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Sacramento, CA
    #20
    Your 3 months into the new cycle. The last cycle before that was around 9 months. They arent going to do anything right now. Sept 9th shows every indication that it will be based around the music (iTunes, iPods, iTablets.....Jk.....maybe). I mean if you want to wait out longer, go for it. I think you should purchase the uMBP. Why torcher yourself for atleast 3 months and then lets say in January they dont come out with any updates. That means you get to wait another 2 to 3 months to see if an update comes out then.

    My opinion is just do it now. The line is great and your going to get one that will fit your needs for years to come. I plan on purchasing one in the next two weeks. You wont regret it.
     
  21. Surely Guest

    Surely

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #21
    A tad bit better? You probably wouldn't even notice any performance difference.

    Do what you'd like, of course. Good luck......
     
  22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #22
    I don't think you will see any updates to the MBP lineup anytime soon. They just recently had an upgrade. So if you need it, get it.
     
  23. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

    BeSweeet

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    #23
    I don't need it now, but I really want it :(.

    I'll wait.
     
  24. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    Location:
    Italy
    #24
    Get the current uMBP, it's pretty neat. Let alone the Hackintosh, heh. :)
     
  25. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #25
    I think that you should read one of the 8,000 other threads asking the exact same question. ;)
     

Share This Page