Should I Wait Out for a Model Refresh?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vinay427, Nov 2, 2008.

1. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Before you read this, please read the first post in this thread of mine earlier: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=590823&highlight=vinay427

I want to now if it is worth it to wait out for the "upcoming" iPhone 3G model refresh, as in the 8GB dropped, and 16GB upgraded to 32GB. I sort of have a money issue, as said on the aforementioned thread, so should I wait it out without a cell phone for a few weeks or just go through with it on November 12. For me, a cell phone, especially an iPhone, is used for mostly pleasure, so I may be able to deal with the lack of a cell phone for a while. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Xenophos macrumors newbie

3. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

The only reason to wait is if 32GB is the deal-breaker for you. Honestly, I don't see a refresh of the iPhone 3G coming anytime soon. Definitely not this year. So, unless you absolutely don't want anything smaller than 32GB, I say go for it now. Honestly, there's always a refresh somewhere around the corner, and if you play that game too much, you'll never have any tech gadget or computer. If you want it, and can afford it, get it.

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Probably won't hurt to see what Apple announces in a couple weeks.
    The 32gb model will likely be the same price as the current 16gb
    model and the 8 will vanish.

5. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i'd wait until macworld at least... if there's no refresh by then, then i'd assume you're safe.

then again, you COULD just wait until wwdc, right?

but who knows, a special iphone event could happen in the fall.. primetime for the holiday season.

but if not, surely you can wait until macworld '10, right?

dude... buy now. the waiting game is no fun.

6. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

why not wait for the next model... i'm enjoying my 3g now ;)

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

32GB at macworld.
    new iPhone in late july.

you heard it here first.

8. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

My library of music alone is bigger than 32gb; still, never had a hankering to have it all on my iphone. I decided to jump in and buy one now (I was in your boat financially and on the fence). My reasoning is that only a 64-128gb iphone would truly blow me away and this 16gb is a perfect spot to wait from. I may have to wait 1.5 plus years for the doozy I want, but in the meantime, this is more than enough. ;)

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I have a first gen 8 gig one. Does it bother me it a only 8? Yes. It there is. I way I am getting another one until I can get at least 32 gb at the price of the 8gb nowdays. Or if this one breaks. I don't think it will be in the next coming weeks to tell you the truth. The whole situation may be a bit difersnt between us tho I guess because I do have one right now and you don t so I still get to play around with one right?

10. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

At this point, I'd probably wait.

Also, if you have a big music library, just stream it with Simplify Media. (Harder on Edge, but still works.)

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would wait it out until January and see what is announced at Macworld. I have a good feeling that they will announce a 32GB iPhone, but I don't know what they'll do about pricing. My hope is they would do away with the 8GB, but maybe they will cut it to $149, bring 16GB to $199, then 32GB for $299.

If you need a phone in the meantime, go buy a cheapo Virgin Mobile phone.

12. spikedfo macrumors regular

:)
    i will wait. hope there will be something new

13. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

OK, well in that case I'll just go through with it now because I've been waiting for 5 months and it's REALLY getting on my nerves. I can always save up more money. :confused:Also, if a new iPhone comes out during my 2 year contract, can I still upgrade or do I have to wait until it ends?:confused: Thanks a lot for the previous reples!

BTW, Xenophos: That link was amazing and was actually what I had been looking for for the last 3 months or so. I know I had seen it somewhere but unfortunately forgot to check History in Safari right after. Thanks a lot!

14. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

15. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

At this point? 3 months into the life of the iPhone 3G?

If that's considered old, then seriously, the only "safe" time to buy a tech device is the first week it's released.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, if a device has the features you want, when you can afford, and you like it, buy it. There's ALWAYS a new model around the corner. These days, it's a fairly safe bet that a refresh or new model is going to be coming within 12-18 months of any Apple product. That's not a big window of time. If you get caught in the waiting game, you will NEVER be happy.

If the iPhone 3G has the feature set you want today, they will still be there if a new iPhone is released tomorrow. Buyer's remorse is nothing but marketed hype and emotion that has no basis in reason. It's simple if-then reasoning: If the (insert tech gadget here) has what you want, then buy it.

Anyway, there is no logical reason to think a new iPhone is coming when:
    a) there is no 64GB Touch. Until you see that, there will be no 32GB iPhone. The 2G Tough just came out, so I wouldn't expect that to change this year.
    b) the 3G itself is only a few months old, and hasn't been stable with the 2.1 OS for very long.
    c) the 3G is not missing a major hardware feature, like 3G or GPS, that would lead you to believe a new model will come sooner than later to catch the iPhone up to the features of other current smartphones.

Macworld? Maybe. I doubt it. But that's just me. Releasing a new model, right after the holidays, when millions more consumers get locked into an iPhone contract that is 2-years long, would be stupid. Could happen, but I doubt it. And, if it does, there will most likely be a cheaper way for 3G owners to upgrade with a subsidy. Otherwise, the uproar would cause Cupertino to fall into the ocean.

16. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

[/QUOTE]
    Thanks a LOT Mikey B!!!:) Now I'm definitely locked into going with it now. You really convinced me to get me over the top.

17. neil1255 macrumors newbie

Remember, Apple announced to their shareholders they were trimming their expectations for the 4th quarter due to a "Product Transition."

While everyone now agrees that the transition was the new line of MacBookPros, if they had a new/refreshed iPhone in the pipeline, they certainly would not have issued a warning to investors since the Apple fan-boys (no slight intended) would have traded up and made the quarter a solid one.

18. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

NO ONE has solid facts on when the next iPhone will be

its all useless speculation, with no hard evidence, this forum seems to love swimming in a cesspool or false information

If you live your life on rumors and hearsay , then by all means wait

but if you live based on more tangible factors, buy the phone already

19. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

AT&T's phone upgrade policy

In other words, it depends on how much your monthly plan is, but unless you are paying for a lot of minutes and text messaging, you are looking at about 21 months before they will allow you to upgrade with a subsidy (you can always just pay full price).

20. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

But if I am in a family plan, will the total monthly bill be enough to be able to upgrade after 12 months according to the link? Or does that only work if I am on a single plan?:confused:

21. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

um. . .anyone out there? HELP!

22. twist2b macrumors regular

Ok, so I am waiting one more week for a free site that I got the iPhone for free (v-bux if you have heard of it) because they ran out of 3G iPhones, so should I cash out with $240 instead? If the price drops on the 16 GB I would rather get that. If there is NO price drop then I go for the 8 GB while I still can.

What are your thoughts? I need to know soon :p

23. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Man, i had the same dilema but if you wait to Mac world then is only 4 or 5 months away from WWDC. I got my 3g i love it.

I am 100% sure there will be nothing new hardware speaking until next summer maybe a 32 gb upgrade. thats for sure.

But hey if you need the extra space wait but at that time ill wait for a new iphone on summer that if they change it... But if you dont need the space get a 3g now and wait until a new iphone. I am loving it and i was like that 1 month ago.

24. twist2b macrumors regular

I don't NEED more space, but if the 16 GB will be the same price as 8 then...........
    but if its 4 to 5 months away... FORGET IT :p
    I will just go with the 8 GB. Thats all I really need.

25. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I don't really care about the space right now (I have about 4 GB of music) but I didn't know if there would be any other hardware additions like a flash, better camera, upgradable memory via memory card, etc. Does anyone know if MMS or A2DP will be software updates?:confused:

ALSO: How many apps can the iPhone/ iPod Touch hold? Cause on the Apple website, it says it can have up to 7 home screens so that would be 99 apps excluding the ones that come with it (like Maps, Stocks, etc.). Anyone have any firsthand experience here or know about it? Thanks (again)!