Should I wait till after MWSF to get an iMac G5?

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
265
0
Washington, DC
I want to buy an iMac G5 (as some of you probably know already). The current promos end on January 10th and the MWSF keynote speech is on January 11th.

My question is, should I wait till after Macworld to buy the iMac?

Do you think Apple will address the fan problems and do you think there will be other deals after Macworld? I want a Canon printer, so I would have to sell the Epson one. It's still $99 towards my Canon though.
 

joeswinehart

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
36
0
central oregon usa
waiting

I'm always on the side of waiting if you don't have an immediate need. My G4 is working great, I am ready to buy a G5 iMac but I'll wait for a splendid revision or, better yet, Tiger. Hate to buy in January, then see an iMac gpu update in February and Tiger in April (or something like that).
I know it's not the best to keep waiting, but unless you really have some pressing need for speed, why not? What are you running now and is it in such condition that a replacement need to arrive soon?
~joe
 

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
265
0
Washington, DC
joeswinehart said:
I'm always on the side of waiting if you don't have an immediate need. My G4 is working great, I am ready to buy a G5 iMac but I'll wait for a splendid revision or, better yet, Tiger. Hate to buy in January, then see an iMac gpu update in February and Tiger in April (or something like that).
I know it's not the best to keep waiting, but unless you really have some pressing need for speed, why not? What are you running now and is it in such condition that a replacement need to arrive soon?
~joe
Well I sold my G3 iMac a while ago and I've been using my dad's new Dell. It's fine, but I really want a computer to call my own. Plus, he's always kicking me off of it.
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
dferigmu said:
I want to buy an iMac G5 (as some of you probably know already). The current promos end on January 10th and the MWSF keynote speech is on January 11th.

My question is, should I wait till after Macworld to buy the iMac?

Do you think Apple will address the fan problems and do you think there will be other deals after Macworld? I want a Canon printer, so I would have to sell the Epson one. It's still $99 towards my Canon though.
Would not be the best idea to buy an iMac G5 in Jan unless you really need it. I don't believe the fan/noise issues will be fixed until the REV B is released with an upgraded GPU sometime end March-April 2005.

If you can wait all the better and I know its a PITA to do so however its best if you have it with "Tiger" pre-loaded. :)
 

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
265
0
Washington, DC
m a y a said:
Would not be the best idea to buy an iMac G5 in Jan unless you really need it. I don't believe the fan/noise issues will be fixed until the REV B is released with an upgraded GPU sometime end March-April 2005.

If you can wait all the better and I know its a PITA to do so however its best if you have it with "Tiger" pre-loaded. :)
When is Tiger supposed to come out?
 

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
699
1
m a y a said:
Would not be the best idea to buy an iMac G5 in Jan unless you really need it. I don't believe the fan/noise issues will be fixed until the REV B is released with an upgraded GPU sometime end March-April 2005.

If you can wait all the better and I know its a PITA to do so however its best if you have it with "Tiger" pre-loaded. :)

Umm Look... There is a deal for the iMacs up until Jan 10th, the day before Steve's keynote... That is a near 100% surefire guarantee they will be upgrading the graphics card IN JANUARY, mark my words.


Ohh and the Fan/noise issue was fixed in the later Rev A iMacs.
 

YoYoMac

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2004
148
0
Chattanooga, TN
m a y a said:
If you can wait all the better and I know its a PITA to do so however its best if you have it with "Tiger" pre-loaded. :)
I do not doubt what you say Maya, but I wonder if you could explain why it is better to have "Tiger" pre-loaded. Can't you just install it when it comes out? I don't know a lot about all of this Mac OS X stuff. :eek:
 

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
699
1
YoYoMac said:
I do not doubt what you say Maya, but I wonder if you could explain why it is better to have "Tiger" pre-loaded. Can't you just install it when it comes out? I don't know a lot about all of this Mac OS X stuff. :eek:

Doesn't matter one bit, I can also guarantee you that after mac world san francisco, Steve will Introduce Tiger and set a release date, he will also probally say "every mac purchased from now until xx/xx/xxxx release date gets a coupon for Tiger update for $29"
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
dferigmu said:
Well I'm definitely not waiting that long. I don't even know if I can wait till April/May for a new iMac!
I would at least wait until the February/March time frame. As always its best to buy what you need when you need to purchase.
 

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
699
1
You can easily wait 2 weeks until MWSF. Most likely, if they introduce a speed bumped iMac G5 with new graphics card, it will most likely have immediate availability.
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
jadam said:
Umm Look... There is a deal for the iMacs up until Jan 10th, the day before Steve's keynote... That is a near 100% surefire guarantee they will be upgrading the graphics card IN JANUARY, mark my words.


Ohh and the Fan/noise issue was fixed in the later Rev A iMacs.

Don't know what you mean by late Rev A, however I purchased an iMac G5 in MID NOVEMBER and it had the issue(s). Spoke to an Apple tech over the phone and even an Apple tech in person who is someone I know both know about the problem the AT that I spoke to in person said don't bother with it, since even though its a good computer the noise you have will not go away as of yet since its using the old 130nm chips which run hotter to the current ones in the PMG5 rev B.

So unless you are talking about Apple cannot keep up with the iMac G5 orders as of current and them making some changes fat chance unless you can tell me they changed the 130nm chip in there to the 90nm chips. :)

Expect the 90nm chips to be in REV B iMac G5 models not rev A. :)
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
YoYoMac said:
I do not doubt what you say Maya, but I wonder if you could explain why it is better to have "Tiger" pre-loaded. Can't you just install it when it comes out? I don't know a lot about all of this Mac OS X stuff. :eek:
When an exact released date for an OS is announced you can either take your receipt to an Apple store for when you purchased your iMac on of after the released date announced and you will get a FREE copy of the next OS with the proof.

If you want Apple Online Store they will send it to you for $29 USD that is shipping and handling however the upgrade is FREE. :)

And yes you can upgrade it yourself later. :)
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
jadam said:
You can easily wait 2 weeks until MWSF. Most likely, if they introduce a speed bumped iMac G5 with new graphics card, it will most likely have immediate availability.
If you want that promotion that end in Jan 10, 2005 order your computer on that day it will not get to you for a week or so, if there is something new announced you can always return it without any fees as long as you do not accept the package or do not open it.


So you are safe this way you get the deal and if its not updated then you do not loose out on anything. :)


And do not expect the iMac G5 to get a better GPU then the entry level PMG5 that cost more than the iMac G5 line. :)

No GPU upgrades to the iMac G5 line until the new cards are the stock entry level on the PMG5 lineup so its going to be a wait. :)
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
jadam said:
Doesn't matter one bit, I can also guarantee you that after mac world san francisco, Steve will Introduce Tiger and set a release date, he will also probally say "every mac purchased from now until xx/xx/xxxx release date gets a coupon for Tiger update for $29"
Actually I have an 12" iBook 1.2Ghz and I can get Tiger from the Apple Store for Free if you have good reasoning. Apple makes some exceptions they are not iron fisted. :)

Then again it just might be luck. :)
 

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
699
1
m a y a said:
And do not expect the iMac G5 to get a better GPU then the entry level PMG5 that cost more than the iMac G5 line. :)

No GPU upgrades to the iMac G5 line until the new cards are the stock entry level on the PMG5 lineup so its going to be a wait. :)


So are you saying they won't be upgrading the powermacs at MWSF? Because I have a good hunch they will.
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,693
1
LaLaLand, CA
I don't think the iMacs will be updated so soon. There might be a slight change, and if you can wait, then wait. It couldn't hurt to wait a few weeks if you are not desperate. But I don't see anything major happening to them. New eMacs maybe. The issue with the fans only affected a few people, and it seems to be fixed now. If you get a bad one, just take it back and get another one or let them fix it.
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
jadam said:
So are you saying they won't be upgrading the powermacs at MWSF? Because I have a good hunch they will.
I said they will upgrade the PMG5 line, however do not expect the iMac G5 line to also be updated at the same time.

The iMac G5 line will be updated a couple months later to keep both lines apart in performance. :)


Cross your fingers that the PMG5 line when updated in Jan will have something better than a 5200 in they entry level models if they have something better that entry level GPU card will make it into the iMac G5 line when its updated. :)
 

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
699
1
m a y a said:
I said they will upgrade the PMG5 line, however do not expect the iMac G5 line to also be updated at the same time.

The iMac G5 line will be updated a couple months later to keep both lines apart in performance.

Ohh come on, the performance differences are large enough that a 200mhz increase in speed and a bump up to a geforce 6400 will not close the performance between a mid level iMac and a say dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5 with Geforce 6400. It will be just like the current situation, 1.8ghz imac with geforce 5200 ultra vs 1.8ghz powermac with geforce 5200ultra. Except for the powermac you can upgrade to a nice beefy Geforce 6600GT ot Radeon xsomething for cheap.
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
solvs said:
I don't think the iMacs will be updated so soon. There might be a slight change, and if you can wait, then wait. It couldn't hurt to wait a few weeks if you are not desperate. But I don't see anything major happening to them. New eMacs maybe. The issue with the fans only affected a few people, and it seems to be fixed now. If you get a bad one, just take it back and get another one or let them fix it.

Why do I see the iMac G5 rev B as a better investment than the rev A models that we have now:

1. new chips 90nm instead of the now 130nm (less heat and power consumption).

2. Better GPU hoping the entry level PMG5 have one as well first.
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,693
1
LaLaLand, CA
m a y a said:
Why do I see the iMac G5 rev B as a better investment than the rev A models that we have now:

1. new chips 90nm instead of the now 130nm (less heat and power consumption).

2. Better GPU hoping the entry level PMG5 have one as well first.
I don't disagree. 2GHz CPU and better Graphics, maybe even bigger hard drive and faster DVD drive. But I don't see it yet. Maybe not for a few months. If you wait, you could be waiting for awhile.
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
jadam said:
Ohh come on, the performance differences are large enough that a 200mhz increase in speed and a bump up to a geforce 6400 will not close the performance between a mid level iMac and a say dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5 with Geforce 6400. It will be just like the current situation, 1.8ghz imac with geforce 5200 ultra vs 1.8ghz powermac with geforce 5200ultra. Except for the powermac you can upgrade to a nice beefy Geforce 6600GT ot Radeon xsomething for cheap.
Sorry to burst your bubble however in marketing and to a new users to a new platform a user will not care or give importance to a dual processor machine they will only see the MHz on a system if a dual 1.8GHz is faster than a single processor 2.0Ghz guess which machine will sell better you guessed it the 2.0Ghz single processor. That is embedded in the tech buyers mind, since many will trade off a second processor of lower speed for a single higher clocked processor. Ignorance YES, however there is little to nothing one can do.

Besides many people do not even care about or know what a FSB is unless they know something about technology.

When it comes to a GPU all people look at is MB that a GPU has who cares if a 64MB card sucks it must be better than a 32MB card right, wrong not always. The 9200 mobility is better than the 5200 GO however it has less MB.

In the end people will always look at what ever gets the job done and a single processor at 2.0GHz is a far better deal to them than a dual processor 1.8GHz who needs 2 processors anyhow right as long as its faster in MHz. :)

Unless you want to educate every new to computer users out there, my hats off to you. :)
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
solvs said:
I don't disagree. 2GHz CPU and better Graphics, maybe even bigger hard drive and faster DVD drive. But I don't see it yet. Maybe not for a few months. If you wait, you could be waiting for awhile.
I see an 8x DVD burner other than that no major changes to the Optical Drive. :)


Fingers crossed they keep the FSB on par with the PMG5. :)

Larger SATA well that is a given. :)