Should I wait until 2011 to get a new mac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cootersgarage6, Dec 10, 2010.

  1. cootersgarage6, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

    Nov 6, 2010
    I have a REALLY old intel mac from 06, and it is still fast, but it doesn't have the new glossy screen and other things that I want, and it doesn't even have RAID because it's "not supported on this mac" or something, and it's about to be 5 years old, that's over due for an upgrade.

    Yes, I am a high school student, so it IS hard to get a new mac, but I am never going back to a different computer, macs are better for all my projects and Ical help so much, and the look of the OSX is GREAT

    Heres my problem.. When to upgrade to my new Imac? I know that every January is a mac refresh, idk about the Imac tho, but should I wait? Or is there anything they could really do to upgrade it? and what about waiting until Lion comes out, is that likely to bring new macs? or cosmetic differences?
  2. rgarjr macrumors 603


    Apr 2, 2009
    Southern California
    If u absolutely need one now get it, otherwise if don't mind waiting, wait for the refresh.
  3. MakX macrumors member

    May 27, 2009
    The last refresh was 7/2010 -- so I highly doubt there'll be another update until mid next year. Definitely not in Jan.
  4. kfury77 macrumors regular


    Jan 9, 2007
    Osaka, Japan
    This is always a good reference.

    I'm waiting for the next revision before purchasing, I'd expect an update about Feb/March 2011. Possibly just a faster processor. I'd like to see USB3 though.
  5. brachson macrumors member

    Nov 14, 2010
    GPU, CPU upgrade for sure
    OS - New Lion on board
    More RAM, HD as the option
    USB3.0, HDMI who knows?

    I doubt it will be very significant upgrade but considering timing its worth to wait
  6. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    If you're a student and already have an iMac, I would buy a laptop instead. Portability is always needed at your age. I did the mistake and bought an iMac and now I had to buy a MacBook Air because I wanted portability :p Sooner than later you'll need a laptop in school and there is also other occasions where a laptop is great
  7. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

    Jul 12, 2009
    Great Britain
    I came on the forums today to ask this question.
    My situation is that I was offered a new PC for Christmas, so, as always, I was looking at a Mac. I decided to decline and ask for one at my birthday (April). I'm now wondering if this is the best idea.
    I fear Apple are waiting until Lion will be released, and it'll have a touchscreen or something other major that's in Lion. Should they release in March, I don't see them re-releasing in Mid-2011 when Lion is meant to be out.
    Right now, I'm wondering if it won't be out until Summer, and that the wait is going to be a long one.
    Any more opinions on this?
    Joseph Duffy
  8. tunerX Suspended


    Nov 5, 2009
    I am waiting for an 8 core iMac before I upgrade again. Couple years from now.
  9. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

    Jul 12, 2009
    Great Britain
    Thanks for that, but I think we were looking for when you think we should upgrade, and when the next refresh will be?
  10. viizi macrumors regular

    Dec 2, 2010
    Wait as long as possible. I am sure what you already got now is capable enough to get you through to the refresh. You wouldn't wanna buy when there is a big risk for lots of new tech maybe even lightpeak
  11. jdiamond macrumors 6502

    Dec 17, 2008
    Or save some money...

    It's hard to lose when waiting. If you find that the new models that come out aren't such a big jump over the last model, you then have the option of buying the model at a potentially huge discount. I got my wife a 15" MBP decked out with the highest options, new for just $1300, because it was the previous model - the current model was selling for well over $2,000.

    BTW, I have a high end 17" MBP from 2007, so slightly newer than yours, but there's still nothing about the new models that would make me want to upgrade. Then again - I hit a critical cliff - I have a Core2Duo and a CUDA capable 8600GTM graphics card. If you're stuck with a Core Solo or a pre-CUDA capable graphics card it makes a big difference.

    - Jeff
  12. wordoflife macrumors 604


    Jul 6, 2009
    I don't think they will be updating the iMacs now, but I would go for a laptop anyways.
  13. tunerX Suspended


    Nov 5, 2009
    If thats the case. I think you should wait until the 8 core comes out.
  14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

    Jan 14, 2008
    Waiting for the next refresh is always an interesting game.

    My Apple Care just ran out on my 24" iMac so I am 'in the market', in a way.

    No problems with the current unit, I just like the knowledge that I have warranty coverage so a new unit is in the works.

    Am thinking about one of the new 27" units.

    With my luck, 15 days after I buy my next unit the news ones will come out! :lol:
  15. mouse123 macrumors member

    Nov 25, 2010
    Anyone know the chances of apple changing the design of the imac in the next update? I am also in the market for an iMac. I know the design of the current is already nice enough. But u guys should the feeling where u buy something, then the following month, a new design comes out and u r left angry with yourself :eek:
  16. JBunkers, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

    JBunkers macrumors member


    Sep 20, 2008
    In the middle
    See the MR Buyers Guide

    Click here to view the MacRumors Buyers Guide, or click the tab at the top of the forum page labeled Buyer's Guide. That will give you probably the best guestimate of when Apple may release their upgrade to any given product.

    My guess is that Apple probably won't update the iMac for another 3-4 months, so we're looking at a Feb/March, maybe April timeline.

    And no, with or without Lion, Apple will not be releasing a touchscreen iMac. And if they do, you won't want it. And if you do want it, don't get it. But if you do get it, don't say I didn't warn you. After about 5 minutes of holding your arm up to touch the screen, you will want to flush it down the toilet (the computer, not your arm). Don't believe me?

    Extend your arm out in front of you and touch your screen. Pretend you are clicking on icons and moving/resizing windows for 2-3 minutes. Pretend-throw something in the trash bin. Now pretend-empty the trash bin with your fingers using multi-finger gestures like two-finger right click. Now give it the single finger salute when it doesn't work. Now go out in your workshop and build a sling to hold your arm up, since this is more exercise it has gotten since you used it to stuff the donut into your face this morning. :)
  17. mouse123 macrumors member

    Nov 25, 2010
    If the next iMac update would be turning the iMac into a touch screen, then I wouldnt mind. What I have concern is tt Apple would change the whole design into something even nicer than the current design. Tt is the part where I am most worried about.
  18. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

    Aug 25, 2006
    NE Hoosierana
    LOL,,, nicely said. Now, don't forget about the PB&J [insert any other food, etc. item here] on your fingers too,,, that are now all over the once-upon-a-time clear monitor. :rolleyes:
  19. Bmaintz macrumors member

    Aug 1, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    OK, I have read the following...
    Refresh for iMac may be in Jan. 2011...
    USB 3.0...
    Faster Firewire...
    Intel "Sandy Bridge" i3 (Intel is launching the Sandy Bridge at CES show on 1/5/11)
  20. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 3, 2008
    Apple just updated the imacs the end of july, I doubt they would be updated in January. Spring 2011 at the earliest is my guess.
  21. wingzero1285 macrumors member

    Aug 22, 2010
    The rumor said first half of 2011. It will most likely be late winter early spring like the March 2009 update before the overhaul that happened in fall 2009. You can wait till this next update, but, then you'll ask yourself, "Maybe I should wait until Fall/Winter 2011?" so on and so forth. I say go for it!

    I've come to realize my iMac is outdated in 6 months or so each time I buy one (on my 4th now). My fiance still uses the first gen 2ghz 2007 aluminum. Running like a champ, except its HD died 2 months after applecare expired :rolleyes:

    I say buy now and enjoy :D
  22. 300D macrumors 65816


    May 2, 2009
    Wait until 2021, the iMac update will be MUCH better.
  23. Ironduke Suspended


    Nov 12, 2006
    but we all die on the 21st of december 2012:confused:

Share This Page