Should I wait until Polaris iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AlexGraphicD, Sep 24, 2016.

  1. AlexGraphicD macrumors regular

    AlexGraphicD

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2015
    Location:
    New York
    #1
    I'd like to ask if I should wait until the rumored October iMac or buy a refurb m395 model now.
    Will I see big gains from the Polaris gpu or the m395 is good enough for professional work. My main work is graphic design (illustrator, Photoshop, indesign), multi tab web browsing and causal video editing in 720/1080p. No gaming, no 3D rendering.
     
  2. Macmamamac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    #2
    No, do not buy now. Far too close to a possible upgrade. Just wait and see what happens with the October/November event.
     
  3. AlexGraphicD thread starter macrumors regular

    AlexGraphicD

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2015
    Location:
    New York
    #3
    Yes I understand, I just see some good deals on the refurb store and Craigslist and I am afraid I won't find the same deals in the future.
    But my main question is will I see a great difference between the Polaris gpu and the m395 model for the tasks I mentioned above?
     
  4. Macmamamac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    #4
    Wait anyway, because once the upgrades come out, the price for the m395 will drop again. Especially on Craigslist and eBay.

    People will be offloading their iMacs so they can buy the new ones. Unless there is a particular deal that is so ridiculously cheap, it's just not worth it.

    What are you using at the moment, if I may ask?
     
  5. AlexGraphicD thread starter macrumors regular

    AlexGraphicD

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2015
    Location:
    New York
    #5
    I see, if the prices on refurb and used machines drop even more then I'll wait until the update.
    I use a 2010 model 21,5" i5 3.6gz 4gb ram and this time I want a future proof machine and especially the 5k screen and TB ports.
     
  6. Macmamamac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    #6
    if you want to future proof for as long as possible then just wait and buy the new ones. My guess is they will meet VR spec, which will be a dramatic upgrade from before. I was in the same boat last year coming from a non 5k iMac. I couldn't have waited another year for the properly upgraded GPUs, so I went with the m395 skylake.

    The screen will blow you away if you haven't seen one, and coming from a 2011 with just 4gb you will be very happy anyway whatever you do. But, this close to something potentially big, just hang on and make up your mind once the next event happens.
     
  7. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #7
    The prices of a new iMac that head into the refurb store tend to drop only 14%. I don't think you'll see a huge price cut.

    I'd say at this stage, just wait the few weeks and see what Apple does.
     
  8. Icaras macrumors 603

    Icaras

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    Location:
    California, United States
    #8
    Just mere weeks to go. I'm waiting too.

    Stay strong! :mad:
     

Share This Page