Should I wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pinkstiletto66, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Wait for verizons iphone? Supposedly out in Feb, or strap myself in for the long haul with Att? I need to decide by near xmas time.. Ugh.. lol

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Here's the best way to think of it. You can either:

- Have an iPhone 4 for sure on AT&T now.
    or
    - Maybe get an iPhone 4 EVENTUALLY on Verizon IF the rumors are actually true.

The rest is all up to you.

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'd at least wait for Ivan Seidenberg's CES 2011 Keynote.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm highly skeptical that Apple will release a Verizon (CDMA) iPhone in Feburary when the iPhone's release cycle is in June. Apple isn't going to split it in my opinion. If it happens (and it will eventually) this year, it'll be for sale starting in June.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Why wouldn't they split it? It would help balance manufacturing demands. Makes perfect sense.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you may see the announcement January or February but a release in June like with the at&t phone. So yes, you should wait either way if it's that important to you

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Because it's ALL about marketing.

I'd agree with this.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Exactly, they get the hype of marketing a new release 2x a year instead of once.

Face it, a yearly release compared to the contant flow of Android phones is not helping Apple.

CES is only 3 1/2 weeks away...we'll see how it goes.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If AT&T coverage in your area is good I'd go for it now.
    But even if Verizon gets the iphone months down the road you can always cancell your contract and make up the ETF easy by selling your iphone 4.

11. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Wait

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

First of all, Apple couldn't care less about what ANY other company is doing.

The reason they won't split the iPhone cycles is because then they'd be letting everyone know what the next iPhone (be it GSM or CDMA that comes next) would be like. This is assuming they'll look identical and have identical features sans cell chips (which is the most likely scenario). Apple's all about control.

They also don't want to confuse users. They know that most people don't know the difference between GSM and CDMA or even what they are to begin with. They're going to want to keep things as transparent to the user as possible.

The announcement will most likely be that the iPhone is now coming to Verizon. That's it. They want people to assume it's the same phone.

13. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Wait for the iPhone 5 if you care about making calls.

14. Che Castro macrumors 603

by then june/july will be around the corner iphone 5 lol

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Pwhahahaa, keep telling yourself that. As long as Apple is a publicly traded company with a board of directors and stock holders, they will ALWAYS pay attention to what the competition is doing. Not to pay attention is suicide.

This makes a lot of assumptions. And that makes no sense. It's not the next iPhone if it's the current iPhone. Pure logic man.

I disagree. There are already multiple models of every other cell phone out there on other carriers. I don't think the public is that ignorant that they can't tell the difference in models.

Which will most likely be a WCDMA/HSPA+ device with the iPhone 6 being released one year later with LTE for both carriers.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im think the 93.4 million AT&T subscribers make calls....

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not all 93.4 million have iPhone 4s ;) But yeah, it's not that bad.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, but I think that nonsense that some post about AT&T is just that.
    I dont think any company would keep adding millions of new subscribers each quarter if they couldnt make calls;)

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That was an obvious exaggeration. The point is that the competition is trying to play catch up. Apple isn't concerned about market share. They want to get the most money they can and, so far, the mark up on their products is crazy. Investors love them.

What I'm saying is that the current release cycle is in June. Why would they change it to February just to announce the Verizon iPhone?

The majority of users don't know the technical details of their phone. Sure they can tell the difference between different models but there is no indication that Apple will introduce a new model of iPhone. All the rumors so far suggest that it will just be an iPhone 4/5 with a CDMA chip ... unless I've missed something.

20. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I think you need to take into account a couple of things. First, a CDMA iPhone would essentially be a new product. While Apple has been consistent with the releases of the 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4 - that's not necessarily enough of a pattern to assume that a new TYPE of iPhone could break this cycle. Secondly, if the rumors are true that AT&T's exclusivity contract will end when the year does, it makes perfect sense for Apple to release a CDMA version as early in 2011 as they can.

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Sorry, while market share won't be the main driver, it will still be important to investors and therefore important to Apple. Second to profit, but important none the less.

For the exact reasons I gave earlier. It's hard to keep up manufacturing demands globaly they way they've been going. They already roll out other countries later. Why not roll out a Verizon/CDMA iPhone later as well? Nobody is saying a Verizon iPhone would be the iPhone 5.

This is true, but they do know the differences between carriers. It won't be confusing to differentiate an AT&T iPhone from a Verizon iPhone. Customers are used to this. I don't see an confusion. There have been hints at some possible cosmetic differences for a Verizon iPhone. At the least we'd see some antenna changes. ;)

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's definitely possible, I just don't agree that that's what will happen based on Apple's history.

OP, I didn't mean to threadjack. I was just stating my opinion. Now, back to your previously scheduled programming.

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Apple has changed release times in the past. Don't get so hung up on the cycle to think that its written in stone.

24. Sticman macrumors member

The release cycle is for new generations of iphones each June. The verizon iphone will be, according to the WSJ & the NY Times, simply a CDMA version of the iphone 4. Apple releases iphone to new carriers off cycle all the time, and a verizon iphone 4 would be another off cycle release to a new carrier. Its really nothing new/exciting.

The June 2011 iphone is likely to be either a multi-band CDMA & GSM phone and or one that is LTE capable also.

25. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

The iPhone is still in it's infancy and it's a completely different beast when we're talking about the outside restrictions that have been placed on Apple's development and releases due to agreements they put in place with carriers. There are still too many factors to make assumptions.