Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

should imac and mini be 2 separate forums?

• Total voters

indg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
even though they're both consumer desktops, the mini's internal components are more similar to the macbook than the imac anyway. i find it's a pain to sift through imac-related topics when i want to see only mini-related topics and vice versa.

do you think the imac and mini should have their own separate macrumors forum?

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I have wanted this since the first day I started using this forum. I honestly couldn't care less if your iMac has yellow tint and am sick of seeing threads about that garbage. I do however care about Mini's.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
iMac: 3.5" drive, built-in display, GPU options
Mac mini: 2.5" drive, integrated GPU

I don't get why the iMac and Mac mini are bundled together when the MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air are much more alike and yet have their own forums.

I too am tired of hearing about iMac display problems. I bought a Mac mini not only because it's cheaper than an iMac but because I control which size and quality of display I use with my computer.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I'd rather them be in separate forums. It seems like there's way more posts about the iMac and it's a hassle to sort through them with posters often vague thread titles.

indg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
so out of the small sample of 21 votes, it looks like nearly 86% want separate forums for the imac and mini. who do we ask to get this implemented?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
so out of the small sample of 21 votes, it looks like nearly 86% want separate forums for the imac and mini. who do we ask to get this implemented?

It's not a matter of the 86%. It's only 18 votes, out of the tens of thousands of active users on the site. The site owner and administrators ultimately decide, but you hardly have a compelling majority here.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Given that there was just a large reorg of the forums, I doubt anything more will be changed particularly since the iMac, mini forum does not have as much traffic as many of the others. The forum admins will be reading this thread since its in the correct forum and act if they think its appropriate.

From a hardware point of view the two platforms are growing apart so there is merit in that regard. I don't think they share as many common issues as they used to.

indg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
It's not a matter of the 86%. It's only 18 votes, out of the tens of thousands of active users on the site. The site owner and administrators ultimately decide, but you hardly have a compelling majority here.
like i said it's a small sample, but it's an overwhelming majority. having tens of thousands of active users is moot if they don't vote. one man = one vote.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
like i said it's a small sample, but it's an overwhelming majority. having tens of thousands of active users is moot if they don't vote. one man = one vote.
The lack of interest in voting is an indication that there's not overwhelming demand for separate forums. Not voting is a vote that says "I don't care enough about this to vote."
This forum is not a democracy, however.
What he said!

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
There are 6 threads out of 60 (possibly up to 8 or 9, depending on how you feel like counting a few "which one should I buy?" threads) about the Mac Mini currently on the first page of threads in the iMac/Mac Mini forum. A Mac Mini forum would be dead.

indg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
This forum is not a democracy, however.
no it's not. it's just a poll to get a feel for what users want. and as it stands right now, most people want to split it into 2 sub-forums. it's up to the mods to decide whether it's in the interest of the community to split or not based on the poll.

There are 6 threads out of 60 (possibly up to 8 or 9, depending on how you feel like counting a few "which one should I buy?" threads) about the Mac Mini currently on the first page of threads in the iMac/Mac Mini forum. A Mac Mini forum would be dead.
and yet you're actually making the case FOR splitting the forum.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
... as it stands right now, most people want to split it ...
No, only the 18 who voted have indicated that they want to split it. That's not "most people". It's only "most people who voted".

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
no it's not. it's just a poll to get a feel for what users want. and as it stands right now, most people want to split it into 2 sub-forums.

More like "most people that voted" want to split it into 2 sub-forums. You cannot extrapolate a sample size of 21 people to an active forum population of several thousand.

and yet you're actually making the case FOR splitting the forum.

No, I'm not. For 6/60 threads it's arguable that a Mac Mini thread, if properly titled, would stick out more in the crowd.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC

Perfect. This strengthens the argument for the need to separate. That means I don't have to wade thru 52/60 threads that don't relate at all to what I'm looking for.

And for those Mini supporters, check out 123macmini.com. It's focused solely on the Mini. It's no MR, but it helps to have such a niche destination.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
do people understand how sampling works?

Yes, but apparently you don't. 21 voting out of 55,000+ who have posted in MR Forums since Jan. 1 isn't a usable sample. For a sample to be useable, it has to be of reasonable size. This isn't.

indg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
No, only the 18 who voted have indicated that they want to split it. That's not "most people". It's only "most people who voted".
like i said earlier, "based on the small sample" most pople want it split. obviously not everyone votes. i can only go by the poll numbers. i'm not making this stuff up, i swear. :D

Yes, but apparently you don't. 21 voting out of 55,000+ who have posted in MR Forums since Jan. 1 isn't a usable sample. For a sample to be useable, it has to be of reasonable size. This isn't.
well clearly, it's not important enough for the 54,979+ other forum members whether it's split or not, so let's count them in the neutral group.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
That means I don't have to wade thru 52/60 threads that don't relate at all to what I'm looking for.

If you search manually through the pages of threads to find what you're looking for, try Mroogle instead. You'll find what you need much faster.

like i said earlier, "based on the small sample" most pople want it split. obviously not everyone votes. i can only go by the poll numbers. i'm not making this stuff up, i swear. :D

What the results say is that the 18 people that use a Mac Mini want their own separate forum. Who would have guessed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.