Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

should imac and mini be 2 separate forums?

• Total voters

indg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
What the results say is that the 18 people that use a Mac Mini want their own separate forum. Who would have guessed?
so if you're an imac user, why would this be such a big deal for you? why are you so against mac mini users having their own separate sub-forum?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
well clearly, it's not important enough for the 54,979+ other forum members whether it's split or not, so let's count them in the neutral group.

No, let's not "count them in the neutral group." That's a self-serving and inaccurate assumption. I'm part of that number and I'm not neutral. I think it's useless to split a forum that doesn't have enough traffic to justify the split.

indg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
No, let's not "count them in the neutral group." That's a self-serving and inaccurate assumption. I'm part of that number and I'm not neutral. I think it's useless to split a forum that doesn't have enough traffic to justify the split.
then make your voice heard. vote in the poll. show solidarity with your single-forum lovin imac brethren.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
then make your voice heard. vote in the poll. show solidarity with your single-forum lovin imac brethren.

I choose not to vote. I don't feel compelled to participate in a poll, simply because another poster chooses to create one, especially when it's as meaningless and unnecessary as this is, IMO.

indg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
Because it wastes room on the front page unnecessarily. At least the "we want an iPad apps forum" thread had some impetus behind it.
there is an ipad apps forum. and yeah adding 1 forum would really confuse people looking at the 55+ forums already on the front page. oh the humanity!

I choose not to vote. I don't feel compelled to participate in a poll, simply because another poster chooses to create one, especially when it's as meaningless and unnecessary as this is, IMO.
you say it's meaningless and unnecessary, yet you feel compelled to voice your opinions on the matter. irony?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
you say it's meaningless and unnecessary, yet you feel compelled to voice your opinions on the matter. irony?
Irony? Because I choose not to fit into your preconceived idea of how posters should respond? I think not. Your creation of a poll doesn't obligate me to vote in it. Nor does not voting in a poll prevent me from making comments in an open forum.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
If you search manually through the pages of threads to find what you're looking for, try Mroogle instead. You'll find what you need much faster.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm well aware of MRoogle.;) A dedicated Mini forum might not be the most active one on MR, but that doesn't make it any less relevant. The iPhone, AppleTV, and even the iPad got their own space before they were even released.

OP, have a look at this thread. It's the campaign that created the AppleTV/Home Theater Forum. That one didn't get started overnight, but it received enough support over time to convince the powers that be to create it. If you feel strongly enough about it, add it to your sig, encourage other users to keep this thread going, and be active on posts about the Mini.

indg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
Irony? Because I choose not to fit into your preconceived idea of how posters should respond? I think not. Your creation of a poll doesn't obligate me to vote in it. Nor does not voting in a poll prevent me from making comments in an open forum.
you're right. you're not require to vote in the poll; you can make as many comments as you want; apple makes computers.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I voted no, but if there were a "doesn't matter" option I would have picked that.

I use Forum spy and click on threads I want to read / reply to. No separate forum required.

indg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
And for those Mini supporters, check out 123macmini.com. It's focused solely on the Mini. It's no MR, but it helps to have such a niche destination.
thanks for the tip.

OP, have a look at this thread. It's the campaign that created the AppleTV/Home Theater Forum. That one didn't get started overnight, but it received enough support over time to convince the powers that be to create it. If you feel strongly enough about it, add it to your sig, encourage other users to keep this thread going, and be active on posts about the Mini.
thanks for the suggestion. i'll add a link to my sig.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
thanks for the tip.

thanks for the suggestion. i'll add a link to my sig.

No problem. Remember that Mini users here also use a lot of different forums because it's such a versatile computer. Lots of HTPC users post in the AppleTV/Home Theater forum, many Mac Mini Server users post in the server forums, and others install them in their cars, but I have no idea where they post.:) We're a spread out crowd, right now. Maybe having it's own forum would help bring these users back to the fold.

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK
Hey the voting wasn't open for long! I would have voted please separate the groups - it would be much more useful for all concerned (but particularly mini users).

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Forums for Mac Desktops:
How we decide when to add a forum:
Adding new forums always involves a tradeoff:
  • Advantage: more precision when looking for threads about a specific topic
  • Advantage: getting threads for one topic out of the forum where people discuss another topic
  • Advantages: the ability to exclude one or the other in your preferences
  • Disadvantage: more forums to browse when you are interested in both
  • Disadvantage: more places to look or decisions to make when you aren't sure which forum applies
  • Disadvantage: contributing to "forum bloat", the ever-increasing size of the main forum page
Decisions are not based on counting votes in polls like the one in this thread because people who want a new forum vote Yes and people who are fine with the status quo are likely to ignore the thread rather than voting at all. The most important factor is the level of activity a new forum would have. In this case Mac mini threads were about 15% of the threads in the formerly combined forum, not an overwhelming number. However, new subforums contribute less to forum bloat than top-level forums, and that was the deciding factor.​

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
^^Thanks a lot Doctor Q and MR team! I appreciate all of your consideration in this matter. This will certainly benefit me and many other members.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I'd like the Mac Pro forum back on top of the iMac one, so the order is related to the place within the range.

Mainly because I keep clicking the iMac one by mistake.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I'd like the Mac Pro forum back on top of the iMac one, so the order is related to the place within the range.

Mainly because I keep clicking the iMac one by mistake.

Why not just bookmark it?

indg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
thanks for splitting the forum. i realize the poll didn't have much to do with the decision, but i'd like to think maybe it helped bring awareness to the forum mods.

anyway, how do i close the poll now? it seems like people are still voting even after the change was made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.