Should iOS allow you to customize your device?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by moonman239, Jul 1, 2013.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I think Apple should put in a toggle that, if enabled, would allow users to have as many permissions as an Android device would allow. Apple can protect their name by making sure the user acknowledges that neither Apple nor anyone affiliated with Apple are responsible for any damage done as a result of any unapproved modification of or addition to the installed software.

Maybe Apple could then track all unapproved modifications and additions to determine what changes to make to the next version of iOS. So if 60% of nerds with iOS devices like 70's-style keyboards, then in the next major update, Apple will allow users who aren't nerds to change the style of their keyboards.

2. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

No, the same way you can't tell Coca-Cola to make it less sweet.

3. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

I think while that sounds nice, I feel there will be people who ruin it, just as some do today with developer betas. They will complain and beg Apple even though it is against Apple's rules, and then they will be unhappy and Apple will lose people.

4. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

That'll probably never happen - Apple is about simplicity, functionality, and it's a closed OS.

That's a huge assumption that you're making, seems like you're just jumping on the snobby dev train.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

What would be the benefit of that for Apple, save gaining a few people, who are obsessed with tweaking their phone every day of the week? That kind of thing would bring instability to an Apple product, not to mention being a customer service nightmare.

Bad idea.

6. willryan42 macrumors regular

A jailbreak toggle? Never going to happen... It's a closed OS for a reason (not saying I agree with it).

7. Ottoman1, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013

Ottoman1 macrumors regular

Changing icons

What's the big deal about changing/personalizing icons? We can change backgrounds. Then everyone gets what they want.

As technology moves forward we are going to see products and services become hyper-personalized. We as consumers are also going to get more and more used to getting exactly what we want - on demand television, soft-drink dispensers with hundreds of flavors, etc.

Apple would be smart to let consumers choose the look of their buttons.

Henry Ford wanted all of his Model-T's to be black. Everyone could just deal with it in his opinion.

Ford eventually realized that giving people what they wanted was a better model for his company.

What difference does it make to Apple if their icons are different on different users' phones?

You could argue that Apple is selling design, that its icons are part of its brand...

But so many of you who are content with the new icons have said repeatedly, "what's the big deal about icons?", "who looks at the icons?"

Why do you like to change your iPhone backgrounds? You laptop's wallpaper? Your iPhone's case? etc.

I think being able to personalize the icons is a great idea. I doubt it will happen any time soon. Too bad.

8. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

Everything is possible, stop buying it and you will see Apple changing the hell out of their rules in order to please the customers.

9. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How would you personalize icons? Let people design their own? Or give people themes? But then what if people didnt like the themes Apple offered?

10. Jeffrey Jeff macrumors member

why? so morons can customize their phone with graffiti font and even uglier skins?

no thanks. i cry everytime i see someone with a phone that looks like this:

[​IMG]

11. falconeight, Jul 3, 2013

falconeight Guest

falconeight

No no no no. We really need people that want their tech to be simple. iOS is simple and it needs to stay that way. I don't want windows, I don't want stupid widgets, and I don't want to root, mod, or tap/bump phones. All I want is to hit a button touch a icon and open my app.

12. knightfolk macrumors member

If this is what you are after then you should move to Android. Apple has picked the demographic they want to cater to, and it is not Nerds, rather then un-nerds if you will.

They have worked very hard to go after the mom, the dad, and the grandparent segment. People that generally have a higher than average amount of disposable income. -- this has resulted in much a much higher $ per user spent on apps as compared to Android. Developers love that btw :)

I assure you the geek segment is not what they are after, as it is a very small portion of phone purchasers. Yes Android has a larger market share, but this is not do entirely to the geek segment, but more so as a result of a lower initial cost of ownership.

This may or may not be addressed shortly if the rumored cheap iPhones show up in the sales channels. I work with many people that have clearly stated that they would prefer to have an iPhone, but they lacked the funds, and went the free droid route as a result.

You might want reply with something such as

"Look at all the posts on this forum...bla bla bla"

And to that I respond that the icon haters, jailbreak wizzers, and tweekoholics are simply a very vocal minority. People that are happy with something are a far less likely to speak out, but I can assure you they vastly out number the haters.

Please don't take this as an attack as it is not. It is just the way it is at he moment. I am sure if 20 pecent of Apples base jumps ship due to icons, or the lack of customization then chages will be made, but 200, 2000, or even 20,000 inter bloggers / forum posters is not going to effect a course correction.

13. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

A thousand times this!:D

14. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

Ok, this is what YOU want. What about the others? The ones who want more?
    I mean, since IOS 7 beta went out I'm no longer jailbroken but yet, I would like to have options.

In my opinion, this is about having control of your own device to do whatever you want. That's why the OP suggested a toggle or something like that. If you don't like it, don't enable it.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

These questions gets asked ever since the original iPhone came out.
    Nothing new and nothing like this will happen. If you want things a little bit easier on that regard get an android.

16. falconeight, Jul 3, 2013

falconeight Guest

falconeight

Then its easy. Buy an android. Adding all this nonsense makes the phones laggy and normal people will not buy it. A majority of the people who buy apple products don't want the useless bells and whistles. Why do you think the iPhone is so popular? Its because its simple and just works.

17. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

Seriously? :confused:

18. techie-struts macrumors newbie

I agree. This is a perfect example of why Apple continues to make products "That just work"

19. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Here we go again.......

Choice:

1/ Like it

2/ Dislike it and "jump ship"

Outcome: NOONE else cares, seriously.

20. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

I like iOS how it is, and the reason plenty of people don't simply switch could be due to people having hundreds of dollars in iOS apps, I know I do. I have used iOS since 2.x And I have beta tested since iOS 5.x I think iOS is functional, I am excited about the redesign but as Apple stated at WWDC, we paid the money for THEIR products...we can at least trust them to make some decisions for us. I know iOS 4.x when wallpapers and multitasking weren't enabled on devices like the iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2nd generation, There was a GOOD reason for it. Just as iOS 6 not being supported on iPad 1 was a good decision, I trust Apple to know its products and especially know when certain things are necessary, I am sure Apple was in planning for iOS 7 and thought "Isn't it about time we bring Live Wallpapers and Control Center to iOS?" They look at competition and how customers use their phones, and heck they probably observe the jailbreak community, and implement more things. So while I say themes should be a "No" right now, that doesn't mean down the line it won't come. Apple mentioned being more open with iOS 7, and I do NOT believe we have seen the full capabilities of 7.0 just yet. I think starting with beta 3 we can see some change. Just stay positive people :D

21. falconeight Guest

falconeight

This is exactly true. Very true in Europe where people buy phones outright without contracts. You can pay 650 euros for a iphone or 99 for a android that lets you check facebook and get email. If your a tech geek and want to design your home screen then there is a os for you. If you want the Ferrari of cellphones then its apple.

22. Ottoman1, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013

Ottoman1 macrumors regular

For those who like the simplicity- why new 3d custom backgrounds, transparent elements that can be "customized" animated weather apps etc. ?

How is giving the option for custom icons complex?

An icon toggle switch set to "default" seems pretty simple to me.

Custom icons would be nice for those who wanted them. Those who don't can use the Apple stock icons.

Everybody wins. Right?

Explain to me how I'm wrong please.

23. thehustleman macrumors 65816

They should but they won't.

It makes too much sense lol

24. falconeight Guest

falconeight

No toggles no customization. The only place to get apps should be from iTunes or my computer. I don't want viruses or shoddy software. I enjoy my apple user experience to much. If I wanted customization I would go android.

25. Ottoman1 macrumors regular

I am all about having just the Apple store for apps and keeping security tight on the iPhone.

I do not believe allowing custom icons would impact either.

Again, I do not believe Apple will allow custom icons - but responding to the question this thread poses - I believe they should allow customization for those who want it.

If Apple needs to control the look they could have four sets of icons perhaps: Classic, Candy, Professional and Nature.

It would make many more users happy and increase Apple's profits.