Should iPhone 3G owners upgrade to iOS4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by steamed.hams, Jul 6, 2010.

?

Should iPhone 3G owners upgrade to iOS4?

1. Yes - upgrade to 4.0

29 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. No - stay with 3.1.3

69 vote(s)
    70.4%
  1. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I know a few dozen people that are hesitant about making the jump from 3.1.3. This poll may help a lot of iphone owners :)

2. steamed.hams thread starter macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Let me just say that the reason I'm asking is that 99% of the os4 reviews I've seen for the 3G have been negative. :mad:

3. steamed.hams thread starter macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

4. Davvido macrumors regular

Davvido

I think NO, at least not now. The biggest thing in iOS 4 for iPhone 3G is ability to create folders. IMHO it's better to stay at iOS 3.1.3 until apps work on this version.

5. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

my brother put iOS 4 on his 3G and he said it was slow as hell. not recommended according to him.

6. JH- macrumors 6502

Yes.

I've found a way to make multitasking work wonderfully on 3G. I had all the same problems everyone has been having when I first jailbroke and enable multitasking and homescreen wallpapers. I restored to a stock firmware and then once again jailbroke and enabled multitasking, installed cydia, but did nothing else. Then I downloaded backgrounder and remove recents. I used backgrounder to set global backgrounding permissions to off, with exceptions for Safari, Pandora, and other apps I actually use. This way apps I just open, such as settings or clock, don't keep hogging memory. My phone has been working like a champ ever since.

7. frankie-m macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G users do NOT upgrage!!!

I have quite a few days behind me by now trying to find a solution to downgrade back to 3.1.3 from 4.0 and recover all my lost settings and application data. With this upgrade (iOS4) my starting point was what my fried told me 2 years ago when iPhone 3G came out: Apple provides free upgrades and it will have no effect on your existing apps, and data. It was like this up to now, but this iOS 4 upgrade is not like that. I am sure that it is good to have as a brand new platform if someone just starts out now with iPhone 4, but it is terrible to upgrade from iPhone 3G 3.1.3. I have spent by now 2 full nights without much sleep and an evening stolen from my wife and children just to be able to recover all application data and settings lost by the upgrade. I was able to recover most, but not all by downgrading. For me this upgrade is a big shadow on Apple. I would only urge anybody not even trying to upgrade to iOS4 on 3G. It sucks. Unless, of course, you like challanging your internal peace by lost settings and application data. iOS 4 upgrade is very similar to Windows Vista: it sucks big time.

8. iVoid macrumors 65816

I upgraded and like it. No issues and don't notice a slowness. Granted I did a complete erase and manual reload (because I forgot my backup password), so maybe that made everything nice and squeaky clean.

Like the folders (really nice to get less-used apps out of the way) and some of the other tweaks are welcome as I use my phone.

9. steamed.hams thread starter macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

This is what I was thinking of doing...but people all over this forum (and other forums) say that a complete wipe/restore -> upgrade to iOS4.0 still leaves their 3G painfully slow and buggy :(

10. hariustrk macrumors member

I did the wipe restore last night and so far so good. But like many people I am skeptical of this as a long term solution.

I have a theory that possibly multitasking is sort of working, and eating up memory even though it shouldn't be. Since the 3G has such limited resources, this is slowly bogging down the system. And since we dont' have a task manager to go in and kill these tasks we can't do anything about it.

I have no way to prove this as I do not intend to jailbreak my phone.

11. steamed.hams thread starter macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Damn that sounds rough man :/

12. TheDoty macrumors newbie

TheDoty

I've had mixed results with iOS 4 on my iPhone 3G. When it's recently been rebooted, everything is noticably faster than 3.1.3. After it's been running for a while, it's worse than I've ever seen it. I think they may handle memory differently in the new version of the OS and it might not be working as well with the limited RAM of the 3g.

13. steamed.hams thread starter macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Yeah I hear ya, Doty. Most signs point to a RAM issue, which can't really be tweaked/upgraded on a 3G....yet :D

14. Dansco macrumors newbie

I won't put it on my 3GS due to how slow it is on my iPod Touch 2G so I don't recommend you put it on...

15. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

if my stupid push would only work with 3.1.3 but for some odd reason it only works with 4.0..

Ive spent the past 2 days this is my 3rd trying to get push to work.. and it works once i upgrade to iOS 4...

16. mcanovas macrumors newbie

I upgraded my 3G to iOS4 and I think it's fantastic. My phone runs extremely smooth, folders are great. I understand how multitasking would suck on the 3G but a background? come on. Just going to wait until jailbreak for iOS4 comes out

17. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Its been out now for almost a month dude, wake up and smell whats cooking

18. steamed.hams thread starter macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

That sucks, so they're not coming out with a jailbreak for OS 4??

19. funeralmarch macrumors newbie

I downgraded from 4.0 to 3.1.3 because of battery life. Hope apple would fix the "slowness" on 4.1 update. Until then, stay with 3.1.3.

20. iVoid macrumors 65816

No, what's he's saying is the jailbreak for iOS 4 has been out for a month. Pretty much since the second day I believe.

There is no jailbreak for iPhone 4 released yet.

21. thales macrumors member

I have 4.0.1 running on my 3G without any complaints. When I first upgraded, it was slow and laggy, so I restored it as a new phone and it runs great.

22. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I don't think that iPhone 3G owners should upgrade to iOS 4. They don't get the very cool features, they can't even change there springboard background.

If you don't need the improved Mail , then just stay with 3.1.3 since 4 will just be laggy on your device.

23. doc2142 macrumors member

I sold my 3g for this reason... I went 4.0 and everything was slow. Thank god I got a good deal on this 3gs I got!

24. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Yeah , the 3GS runs 4.0 just fine. but i've seen it perform on an iPhone 3G and it was bad.

25. invenio macrumors newbie

Wouldn't restoring it as a new phone wipe all data off it?