Should iPod Touch have 3G ability?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Unknownn, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Unknownn macrumors newbie

Do you think a 3G attachment for the iPod Touch (or a built in receiver in the 5th gen iPod Touch) should be made? I already have a phone and i find myself wanting/needing internet on my ipod but am not in a wifi area and I think that apple as well as AT&T and Verizon could benefit from this as well. What are your thoughts?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

At that point, you might as well just buy an iPhone.

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Bah, I'm sick of this question...

Who cares when you can tether your phone, or buy an iPod touch with a better camera, GPS and display?

iPod touch will never have built in 3G, it just doesn't make any fiscal sense for Apple do so...

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No. Just get an iPhone or MiFi-like device if you want internet.
    The iPod was designed to be an iPhone without any additional fees after you buy it - for people who were not attracted by the price of an iPhone.

Plus, if Apple charges a $129 premium for 3G, the base price will go up over $300.

5. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I think the question could be restated as: Should the iPhone come contract free? Of course it can, but who wants to pay $599+

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You are a genius.

But then again, carriers would have to stop mandating voice plans and allow only data plans.

7. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

@wordoflife, yeah good point - choice in voice/data plans would also be a part of it. I'm spoiled on my cheap data so I often overlook the $20-30 people are paying these days.

8. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

The iPod Touch was made to remove the hassle of the whole contract mumbo jumbo of the iPhone. If you want 3G purchase the iPhone and use it as your regular cell phone. Why pay for a regular phone and then data on an iPod Touch? That's just stupid. This will never happen.

9. Juramentado macrumors newbie

There's already an iPod with 3G - the Sprint Peel

Some people want the DATA experience of the iPhone without the additional bill for voice. Quite frankly, I can continue to live with my pre-paid phone which has great coverage for voice calls and doesn't cost me a small fortune. For everything else, I already have an iPod with 3G - it's called a Sprint Peel, a 3G MiFi sled that lets me connect up to two devices on the run. Combined, my bill doesn't even come to 3/4 of what a typical low-end iPhone user has to pay (that's someone with 200MB base data plan), and I get 1GB/mo. More than enough data for checking my e-mails, updating FB when I'm on break.

10. malikk macrumors member

I would agree to some of the previous posts. If you add 3g to the ipod touch you just have a iphone. And i assume the 3g payments would be similar.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would love it for the iPod Touch to have 3G, but the carriers wouldn't like it cause they couldn't charge you for the voice plan. The carriers want people to pay for both voice and data.

12. Juramentado macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My bill is 30 bucks for the Sprint Peel. Compare that to an iPhone owner with only a minimal data plan. They're still north of 100 bucks...

13. Nega macrumors newbie

well..since I already use whiste phone over wifi to make free calls, having a 3G IPod while having to only pay a data plan would mean I'd be able to do what the iphone already does, but for more than half the cost.

yeah, I'll sign up for that :)

14. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Personally I believe a 3G capability would be great. Is it going to be a reality on an iPod touch? I don't think so.

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Add me to the "not going to happen" camp. If you really want 3G, get a used iphone. Put in an AT&T pay as you go SIM. You only pay for the data you use--although they charge out the ass for it. Or go for the mifi option.

16. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No

17. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

The iPad has it so the iPod Touch might as well too. Or even better they should combine the iPad and iPhone into some monstrosity called iPhad so we can phone and tablet compute all at the same time :D

18. blevins321 macrumors 68030

How bout the iPatch ;)

19. roar08 macrumors member

roar08

Something about pigs flying and snowballs' chances...

Every time I think I've read the most ridiculous thread on Macrumors I soon stand corrected.

20. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

This is why the 3G iPad was created.

21. Juramentado macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well I'll see my 30 USD bill to your ridiculous greater than a hundred per month bill any day. And I'll even throw in a flying pig - because that's how much I'm saving using a Sprint setup. But I guess you have money to burn...fools and their money are soon parted. And you fit that description perfectly! :)

22. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

You're in Toronto according to your location, so you must be aware that in Canada, Rogers now has a policy of allowing you to purchase a single eligible data plan with your smartphone on a 3-year term, and then use the same data allotment with up to 4 additional mobile internet devices on a month-to-month basis. There is a $10 monthly fee per additional active SIM card installed in a mobile Internet device, but all the per-usage billing comes out of the central smartphone's data plan.

There is no long-term contract for any of the additional devices (only for the main smartphone itself). So there would be no contract mumbo-jumbo to deal with for any of your additional Internet devices (such as a hypothetical 3G-enabled iPod touch).

You could, for example, get one smartphone and one hypothetical 3G-enabled iPod touch to share between a couple, for example if one partner needed a cell phone, but the other just wanted the mobile data capability in a more convenient form factor than the iPad.

23. caspersoong macrumors 6502a

I should think not too even though there is so little wifi in my area. Just costs too much.

24. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

They make what you're asking for.. it's called the iPHONE!!! Why would they start making 2 3G handsets? When the only difference would be talk and text?