Should iTunes be split?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ondennik, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ondennik macrumors newbie

Should iTunes be split into several different programs on the Mac? If so, how should iTunes be split, and how would iTunes for Windows be managed?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

YES.

I don't normally like people writing in caps, but this once I will allow it.

3. karlemilkoch macrumors regular

karlemilkoch

100%, it's a challenge when it comes to iTunes on Windows, but for Mac users I'd envision it splitting to match the iOS ecosystem with: Music (which contains Apple Music), Videos, Podcasts (maybe?), iTunes Store (to keep it separate from the other specific apps and avoid repetition) and then a new app for specifically for Syncing. iTunes can sync non-iTunes app information such as pictures from Photos, so there's no reason for a Sync-specific app not working in isolation from the others.

Just my opinion, but I think it would make for better overall experience.

4. Ondennik thread starter macrumors newbie

But how would Apple manage iTunes for Windows if the Mac app were to be split? Would Apple have to keep iTunes for Windows?

5. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Kinda... It would stop the 10 second long sync, app download, and iCloud loading time everytime I opened it.
    Probably separate it into three apps:
    Music
    Videos
    Podcasts

6. Ondennik thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you could split it into four apps: Music, Videos, Podcasts, and Sync.

7. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

It could be split into 2 apps:

Music - music library, Apple Music, iTunes music store, etc

iOS sync app - it could be a challenge to make this app work, but if done right it should be more powerful than syncing iPhones through iTunes. One major problem (at least for me) is syncing music, but I guess Apple can implement "import playlist from iTunes" option or something similar to that.

As for movies... Why not turn QuickTime Player into movie library app?

8. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

I personally like how it is right now. Everything is easily separated, its not that bad.

BUT if it were to be split, I think it should be split into syncing an Media. So App management, iPhone sync, backup, all iPhone related things in one app.

2nd App would be music, videos, shows etc.

9. Otaviano macrumors 6502a

Otaviano

God yes, it should be broken up and I hope to god a project is underway at Apple to do so.

As for Windows I would not concern myself to much. I think a lot has changed since the time when iTunes for Windows was necessary. Apple could keep iTunes for Windows (Legacy) around until they got around to addressing it. iTunes for Windows should at all hold back development on the Mac side though. That would be insanity in my opinion.

As for the Mac I would split it into the following components:

- Music
    - Videos
    - Podcasts
    - iTunesU (eventually)
    - iSync (for those who do not want to sync via iCloud)

iOS apps I would just show in the Mac App Store. I also think Apple should pluck the games out of the App Store and put them in Game Center. This would help slightly with App Store cluter and the top charts being dominated by things with in app purchases. It would also give Game Center a reason for existing and maybe breathe some life into its development.

Finally I would also eliminate the iTunes app on iOS with each component moving into their relative app (movie rentals in Videos, Music in Music, and so on).

I would then work hard on a proper revamp of Apple Music.

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Seeing that iBooks has now taken over ebooks from iTunes, I hope everything else but audio will also be split away.

- Music/iTunes
    - Videos
    - Podcasts
    - iTunes U
    - iSync

Would be my preferred way of doing it.

11. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Coming from a PC, I think iTunes on the Mac feels kinda like it did on Windows. Not in terms of performance, but in terms of general usability. I mean, iTunes isn't necessarily a bad app, but it definitely doesn't feel polished because it is so cluttered. All those services in one app... It's a challenge to have that work out well.

So in that case I think Apple really has to split up iTunes into more apps. Not just two, but more: (Apple) Music/iTunes Music, Videos/iTunes Movies and TV Shows, Podcasts and iTunes U. It would allow Apple to refine things per app instead of having to do that to one HUGE app. It only makes stuff more complicated. And if there's something that Apple has been for a long time, it's usability. They need to bring that back.

So yeah, I'm all in for iTunes being split into different apps.

12. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Yes! Oh I've been wanting iTunes to split into smaller apps for a while now. It could easily turn into...

-Music
    -Videos
    -Podcasts
    -iSync (for people who don't sync via iCloud; I personally wouldn't need this except for the occasional local backup)
    -iTunes U as an optional App Store download
    -Put Audiobooks in the iBooks app where they already live on iOS
    -And an overhaul of the Mac App Store to display all apps, both Mac and iOS.

It'd be so much cleaner and would offer feature parity with iOS. Not even joking, a member of my own family, who's shall we say not super tech savvy, was stunned a few months back when I showed her that the movie she'd bought on her iPad was "in the music app on her Mac." Since the iTunes icon matches the Music icon on her iPad, and since she's only ever used iTunes for music, she genuinely had no idea that she would find a video file there, and had come to me asking where her Videos app was. Granted, I know that's not the norm - she's sort of a computer novice and most people don't have that issue, but still...it really should be consistent, especially now that iOS and OS X are becoming even closer in terms of performance and usability.

Anyway, yes, I really hope to see that happen soon. As for Windows, there's no reason why they can't continue to develop iTunes for that, or at least even a legacy version. I mean, they offer Apple Music for Android, so why not?

13. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

I'm all for it, except I fear a new Music app might lose AppleScript support, which would inconvenience me way more than any bad behavior of the current version of iTunes ever could. Also, people seem to forget that there's a chance a rewrite would turn out worse than the current version. I'm actually mostly fine with iTunes as it is if only it would manage to keep its scrolling position instead of jumping back to the top of a view as soon as I change any kind of metadata or perform changes in a playlist. It's like no one ever actually tried to use this in real life. It's Windows-level annoying. :rolleyes: So, yeah, I guess I'm of two minds on this.

14. inkahauts, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016

inkahauts macrumors regular

iTunes
    iVideo
    iCast
    iU
    iGames
    iSync
    iBooks

And then either...

iApps
    macApps
    tvApps

Or

Apps

And have the one App Store carry all versions for any device. So I can chose apps for even the Apple TV on my Mac or iPhone.... Yeah let me buy an app from any device to be installed on any and or all other devices even if it won't work on the device I am actually on right now!

15. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I really like this idea. I've often wanted to browse Mac apps while on my iPad and it's annoying not being able to! And now that the Apple TV has its own app store, I feel like I almost never browse it just because most of my app browsing happens on my Mac or iPad...when I'm in front of my TV, I'm usually watching something.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k